• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scary rabbit just woke me up

Grasshopper

Young Bun
I adopted a one yr old near giant rabbit in September. I thought she was settling in well and her reported aggression around food has not been remotely apparent.
About two weeks ago she discovered she can climb the stairs. Only our rental agreement says no buns upstairs. So we used puppy playpen to block her way. Except she's strong enough to move it and keeps us awake the whole night rattling the bars, or digging at the bedroom door once she gets past. When we try to usher her back down stairs she lunges, growls and gives painful warning bites.
I need to get a stair gate but I'm not sure it's going to deter her from her quest to conquer the first floor...
This morning she lunged at our toddler downstairs. She is as tall as him when she stands on her back legs. Eek.
She regularly digs at us if we're in her way.
Even our mild mannered male has started digging at us and nipping.
I feel like I have two frustrated bunnies on my hands who are learning to be aggressive in a house that's not big enough for us all. I've read the main articles on aggression on line but wondered if anyone else had advice, or experience to share? Pushing her head down stopped her biting but made her cross. I can't seem to keep her entertained.
I've just shut poor buns in the utility room for the rest of the night. The door has claw marks all down it.
We're supposed to be going away for the weekend in the morning, with petsitters visiting twice a day, but I'm dreading what destruction I might come back to...

my partner and parents say get rid!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blimey, I don't really know what to advise, but no wonder you are scared of her, I would be too. Especially the lunging at your toddler.

Has she always been a house bun, or do you think she might be more suited to living outside where you won't have to worry about her trying to get upstairs or being destructive? x

Don't push her head down, forcing a rabbit into a supposedly submissive posture doesn't make them feel submissive - it just annoys them.

You need to work on why they are frustrated and showing them that the aggression doesn't get what they want. At the moment your giant has learnt if she works hard enough she can get upstairs, and that if she goes upstairs she'll then have some attention and a battle over territory - she's probably thinking if she tried hard enough she'll eventually win that too. Why wouldn't she repeat that each night, she knows it gets her what she wants.

If you want her to stay downstairs you need a rabbit proof barrier - it's hard to advise without seeing your stairs but something like a well fixed dog gate and some mesh should do it.

You'll also need to redirect her current behaviour - she's obviously active at that time so you need to give her something different to do. I'd suggest some cardbox boxes that she can climb/sit on as part of the stair behaviour might stem from wanting a vantage point. Also stop using a food bowl and put all her dry food in a treat ball, other toys, hidden in different places so she has to hunt it out.

Remove her from your home immediately. She is a danger to your toddler.

[Tamsin, of course, knows far more about rabbits than I do. But I know how I feel about babies!]

Blimey, I don't really know what to advise, but no wonder you are scared of her, I would be too. Especially the lunging at your toddler.

Has she always been a house bun, or do you think she might be more suited to living outside where you won't have to worry about her trying to get upstairs or being destructive? x
She was rescued from a small box she could barely turn round in. I've got very limited outdoor space but it's secure and I'm going to make sure they get out more often. The door's been shut more recently cos of the cold.

She was rescued from a small box she could barely turn round in. I've got very limited outdoor space but it's secure and I'm going to make sure they get out more often. The door's been shut more recently cos of the cold

That's terrible that she was kept like that. I'm no expert by any means, but that must have affected her, it's like she's gone from one extreme to the other, a tiny box, to a whole house. Including the bits she's not meant to get to.

So I'm thinking that outside full time is probably not an option then. Have you thought about rehoming her or speaking to a rescue centre, she might need an experienced home to help her overcome her issues?

So are you back from your weekend away, how was she for the pet sitter? x

Apparently they were lovely for pet sitter, with my big bun greeting her on arrival. She came to me via a rescue centre where she had been in a big chicken coup with run, so she's worked up to the flat. She's bonded with a male now who is definitely a house bun.
I have thought about getting in touch with the RSPCA officer who homed her with us.

Yep, definitely not going with the head pushing down idea again. The lady needs respect!
I've never heard of dog gates before. That's a great idea and beats mocking up something with a child stair gate.
I never use a food bowl. They usually get their pellets scattered on a rug to Forage for. They'll play with a treat ball for a while but both loose interest. I am still trying to find the right level of challenge for them when it comes to food.

Hm, when my rabbits act up I give them rather big branches of willow to work on. It does keep them occupied, and leeches some of their destructive energy.

Remove her from your home immediately. She is a danger to your toddler.

[Tamsin, of course, knows far more about rabbits than I do. But I know how I feel about babies!]
I was worried that might be the answer. She is a gorgeous bun but I would never forgive myself if she hurt him...

Don't push her head down, forcing a rabbit into a supposedly submissive posture doesn't make them feel submissive - it just annoys them.

You need to work on why they are frustrated and showing them that the aggression doesn't get what they want. At the moment your giant has learnt if she works hard enough she can get upstairs, and that if she goes upstairs she'll then have some attention and a battle over territory - she's probably thinking if she tried hard enough she'll eventually win that too. Why wouldn't she repeat that each night, she knows it gets her what she wants.

If you want her to stay downstairs you need a rabbit proof barrier - it's hard to advise without seeing your stairs but something like a well fixed dog gate and some mesh should do it.

You'll also need to redirect her current behaviour - she's obviously active at that time so you need to give her something different to do. I'd suggest some cardbox boxes that she can climb/sit on as part of the stair behaviour might stem from wanting a vantage point. Also stop using a food bowl and put all her dry food in a treat ball, other toys, hidden in different places so she has to hunt it out.
Great advice. Can you tell me more about how to stop her thinking aggression can get her what she wants? I can't help flinching when she lunges scratches and nips. She can hurt without even trying. So if she wants me out the way, she's definitely succeeding... This evening she had a little go at me when I sat down on the living room floor to stoke my old bun who seems to be craving attention.

Hm, when my rabbits act up I give them rather big branches of willow to work on. It does keep them occupied, and leeches some of their destructive energy.
Good plan. I will ask my neighbour for some apple sticks.

It might help to keep notes on when the behaviour happens and what the situation was - you may find a pattern. I've an article here that might be helpful to read too: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

Can you tell me more about how to stop her thinking aggression can get her what she wants? I can't help flinching when she lunges scratches and nips.

There is two aspects to this, one is to avoid putting her in a position where she's likely to use aggression. So for example if you know she always bites your feet when you sit in a particular spot you could move the furniture around to remove the spot, encourage her to a secure area elsewhere with a positive reward i.e. food before you sit there, or stop sitting there altogether. I know the later seems like her getting her way, but that's thinking too long term - it's the immediate positive (to her) association of aggression means you back off you want to avoid making. You don't reinforce that if she never has the opportunity to use aggression as a tactic.

You can also turn that around and make positive associations, so for example you could offer her a treat when you want to sit there, and keep offering small treats all the time you are there without her showing aggression. Until instead of you being there and her being upset and trying to back you off, she wants you to be there as it means good things. Just make sure you don't offer treats if she's being aggressive!

The other aspect, is standing your ground - that doesn't mean meeting force with force, just making it so the aggression doesn't get any response. How practical that is depends on the situation. For example if you walk in a room and she goes for your ankles, thick boots mean you can stand still and let her go to town. Once the aggression stops working she'll stop using it.

It's also helpful to think about why she might be resorting to aggression in the first place. Some rabbits will display aggression when they get over excited/frustrate - common around meal times or when they are determined to get somewhere they want. Territorial behaviour is another, they feel like you are invading their private space - usually centred around specific areas they eat/sleep. If she doesn't already, having an area/boxes/tunnels that are hers and a human free zone may help. The other one is fear - sometimes the rabbit that seems super brave and ready to take on the giant human is just really nervous and has learnt that being aggressive backs people off and gives them some space. Keeping a note of where and what's happening might help with working out which it is.

With the later, in particular, things that will help are defined spaces that are hers and you don't invade and a routine that helps her know what's going to happen when. So you don't go into her bed, you always call her out. Telegraph moves so you don't startle her. You can also use routine to avoid the opportunities for aggression - so add a routine that she gets a treat elsewhere at a specific time when you are busy cuddling your other bun.

The above are just examples, you'll need to tailor things a bit to what sets her off, your routine and house layout.

I've been a bit more creative with food serving -e g. putting excel in stacking cups so she has to shake them out. I turned her big cardboard box around which seemed to suddenly make it more appealing to climb in to and shred. I also have a new 20kg bag of Timothy hay currently taking up most of the kitchen floor which she is helping herself to. We sorted out a better stair gate arrangement which has eliminated the confrontations on the landing. She seems a lot less feisty.
Elsewhere the aggression seems to be when there is a perceived threat to her when she is lounging on the living room floor, eg when I tried to reach in front of her to switch off some fairy lights. So, trying to give her more personal space when moving around in that area than I'd ordinarily consider. I did get a nip yesterday evening that seemed completely random, but she didn't have ears pressed back like she has done.
Early days but not so terrified of her as I was last week.
Have still got a few of your suggestions to follow up/ reinforce.
Will let you know how we go.

Well done it sounds like you're making progress already. Changing habits can take weeks so that you've already got improvements bodes well for long term success.

I think that sometimes the aggressive ones are also the smarter ones. You could try training her to do something for a treat on command. For example have a spare tray or shallow box, and when you say in your box and she goes in she gets a treat. Then when you need her out the way, instead of a confrontation you ask her to get in the box, she gets a treat and you can get on with doing what you need where she was previously lying down ;)

Thanks Tamsin
I'm hoping it's been a bit of boredom and a bit of hanger. Hopefully having found some hay she likes is helping with both. She responds well to a rustling packet (don't all house buns?) So training might work. Need to keep on the ball to make sure she doesn't get bored again.

I thought you might like to see some of the boredom breaker toys I've made for my boy. He's mad for Hay & apple sticks so I just play around to make free things, then I had a willow ball which he wasn't bothered about but cut a small hole in it & stuff it with Hay & he loves it. I like to make things then switch them out sometimes so he doesn't get bored.

fd2c45604aa129eb915a65b17f088d22.jpg

Oh and chill n chew mats from The Hay Experts are awesome too.

Glad to hear your bun is settling a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back