• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Problems !!!!!

Kerryb4011

New Kit
Hi,
I have searched to see if I could find any threads with similar problems, but could not find anything.

My two buns Peanut (female, spayed) and Bob (male, neutered) have just recently been bonded (within the last three months). I don't feel like they are actually bonded as I think they could live without each other just as easy as with each other. They do lie up together, and Peanut will groom Bob, but they also like their own space. Peanut will hang out in the run, whilst Bob will hang out in the attached garden shed (they both have access to both).

Anyway, the problem I am finding it the changes in their litter behaviour. Before being bonded (while Bob was healing) both bunnies were in the house in the evening times separately (Peanut one evening and Bob the next evening and rotated it like that).
Peanut was really well house trained, and Bob left the odd dropping here and there but I presumed that was because he was just recently neutered. Otherwise both buns had their own toilets and that's where they did their business. Recently though its like all their good habits have completely went out the window now that they are coming into the house together. Its like they totally ignore their toilets and its just poop EVERYWHERE. 90% of the time they do pee in their toilets but I am increasingly starting to find puddles around the place.

I had thought that they are still trying to mark their territory in the house but they will lie up together and Peanut will groom Bob. I am not sure what to do, I really want to keep bringing them in in the evenings as I don't want to just leave them in the shed all evening but its getting that I am constantly cleaning up after them as I don't want to have bunny poop lying about the place.

Any ideas....??

I don't have any ideas regarding that but as the weather gets colder I wouldn't bring them into the house and then take them back into the shed due to the change of temperatures. This can lead to respiratory issues. In the summer it's fine.

Sorry I can't be of any use!

I was just about to write a very similar problem. Velvet and Peter were living alone... both 100% litter trained... got them neutered and then once the time had elapsed bonded them.... it was incredibly quick, easy and simple to bond them and they actually moved in together last Saturday (she moved into his hutch) , im not sure which one it is or if its both but the litter training seems to have completely gone out the window...... finding poo all over the run that's attached and the bottom of the hutch and wee too!!! Still using the litter tray but almost on a "if I can be bothered" basis... asked the vet and they said it could be that she is putting her scent around his hutch.... no idea but wondered if anyone else experienced the same????

Thanks cpayne, never thought about the different temperatures causing respiratory problems! I usually have them in most evening because I hate the thought of them out in the cold! P.S - Your bunny is very cute!!

It's very frustrating Nik - I read somewhere that by cleaning the floor around the litter tray with white vinegar gets rid of the smell and encourages them to use the tray as they can only smell it (if that makes sense!). I think I might give that a go.

Yes I thought I might see where they are in a week or so once they have had the opportunity to get used to living together but its really annoying cause instead of just changing their litter tray every day is almost a full clean every day!!!

Yes, I have found that with my two well. Its a full clean out of their living area almost every other day. Still haven't tried the white vinegar yet but I will let you know if it works.

I find even when buns are bonded... when moved into a new environment (in this case being brought indoors) they feel the need to remark their territory (normally with faeces). It tends to always be the dominant of the group/pair that'll do the marking (you'll be amazed how much they can produce). I've never found a way to stop it... its their natural behaviour.

As mentioned, bringing them into a heated house from the outside can cause respiratory issues. The white vinegar tends to work with urine very well, but the faeces tends not to leave much of a smell behind which is why you get the repeated markings. Personally I don't mind their little "presents" as its easy enough to sweep up and throw away with no staining.

Hi all, just thought I'd give a quick update...so cause of the respiratory problems the buns have spent most of the winter in the shed. I hate not bringing them in and I wish they could be full time house buns but there's just not enough room unfortunately. Anyway, since the weather has been a lot milder I've been bringing them in most evenings and instead of putting the hay in one area, I have instead put hay into both litter trays in the corner where they don't do their business and it seems to have worked. Hardly any poop apart from the few odd droppings! So all is good. One thing though is that both buns are humping each other. I am presuming it's still part of the bond (they've been together now 3/4 months) so they are still figuring out who's who, otherwise they just lie up beside each other. I can hear thumping from the shed which I think would be Bob cause he is constant thumper (worried he's unhappy but apart from thumping can't see any other signs that he is) so have bought a cctv camera so I can keep an eye on them to see what's happening. Might start a new threads to see if anyone can shed any light on the constant thumping ! Can't see any other threads...or if someone has seen something please send me the link. Thanks Bunny hoomins ����

Back