• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey now had a red spot develop on his eye lid???

Thanks so much, I just feel were back to square 1 and the poor little mite will still have to be poked and prodded again with even more meds! Just feel so sorry for him... And wish I could just take it all away! It's just not fair.

I'm still going to compress it for now and see how we go! No they don't want me to give him anything until they have done the culture. He's already on metacam which will help if it is painful. I tried and tried to push for me to give him some eye drops I had here but they said no because it could Jepodise treatment for his ear infection! I'm guessing they are right but any chance they are just being too cautious? Xxx

Tonight's picture so fingers crossed xxx

Last edited:
Thanks so much, I just feel were back to square 1 and the poor little mite will still have to be poked and prodded again with even more meds! Just feel so sorry for him... And wish I could just take it all away! It's just not fair.

I'm still going to compress it for now and see how we go! No they don't want me to give him anything until they have done the culture. He's already on metacam which will help if it is painful. I tried and tried to push for me to give him some eye drops I had here but they said no because it could Jepodise treatment for his ear infection! I'm guessing they are right but any chance they are just being too cautious? Xxx

It is looking a lot better ! Honestly Ruth, I really would try not to stress too much about it, easier said than done I know ! You could ask the Vet if it'd be OK to use this, which does NOT contain an abx and should not interfere with Bailey's ear treatment. It contains Dibrompropamidine isetionate which is an antiseptic disinfectant.

http://www.goldeneyecare.co.uk/our-range/goldeneye-ointment/

That's great, and thank you!

I'll call them later, but to be fair I've just checked him and it still looks the same, a little red but can't see any sign of white so I'm hoping no more will develop and it'll go down on its own without him having to go back! He's a lot more up beat too, I've had him binkying and doing bunny 500 from 11pm last night and this morning when I got up, so he's obviously feeling happier in himself! :love: so amazing to see, as he hasn't done one for a couple of weeks! :love: xxx

That's great, and thank you!

I'll call them later, but to be fair I've just checked him and it still looks the same, a little red but can't see any sign of white so I'm hoping no more will develop and it'll go down on its own without him having to go back! He's a lot more up beat too, I've had him binkying and doing bunny 500 from 11pm last night and this morning when I got up, so he's obviously feeling happier in himself! :love: so amazing to see, as he hasn't done one for a couple of weeks! :love: xxx

He's telling you not to worry !!

Hi Ruth

I don't know whether it's just the photo, but to me this looks a lot better :D

I would do exactly as the vet suggested and not use anything in the eye that they haven't prescribed. You don't want to jeopardise anything they are planning. I don't think they are being too cautious, just being wise as far as I can see :)

I hope things go well today for you :)

Hi guys,

so bailey has had another stye appear! :(

I have spoken to the vet today, and they are happy for me to monitor it for a week or so and then take him in next weekend, I have some viscotears at home which they have asked me to use as the lubricant may help. It does't actually look like his previous one. You know when we have ulcers in our mouths, well it looks exactly like this on the inside of his eye lid. it's not raised on the inside, just a little on the outer lid and red.

I'll need martin to help take a picture of inside his eye lid tonight to show you!

On Tuesday: doesn't look too bad!

This morning, it's starting to fill up with pus, so we'll continue with the warm compresses;

Back