• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey now had a red spot develop on his eye lid???

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Me again sorry, but I am seriously freaking out here.. Bailey seems fine in himself but tonight I have seen a red spot develop in his eye lid?

I am seriously worrying and so scared.. Please does Anyone have any ideas???

He is currently being treated for an ear infection in his opposite ear and I'll be phoning the vets first thing in the morning!

Hi guys,

Me again sorry, but I am seriously freaking out here.. Bailey seems fine in himself but tonight I have seen a red spot develop in his eye lid?

He is currently being treated for an ear infection in his opposite ear and I'll be phoning the vets first thing in the morning!

Ruth, it never rains but it pours for you and your rabbits :(

It could be something as simple as a cyst. These can go away on their own, or are helped along by warm compresses. A warm compress won't do any harm anyway :) If they become infected antibiotics could be prescribed.

Have a look here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Meib/Meib_en.htm

(Just look at the first pics and not the second!)

It could also be a simple infected whisker follicle, as we can get them (like a stye). Definitely a warm compress would help if it were that :)

Please don't worry Ruth. And good luck at the vet tomorrow, I will be thinking of you both :wave:

Hi guys,

I hope that the Vet will be able to offer you reassurance about the lump, I wont post a list of possible causes as all that will do is add to your stress ! Best to wait for a Vet to take a look. I wont say 'dont worry' either as from me that would be a bit 'pot calling kettle black' ! But there are several very minor and easily treatable causes for eyelid lumps xx

Hi,

Honestly thanks both for your comments.. I have just called the vets and they haven't seen the email I sent over yet. So they are chasing this and I'm just waiting for them to see the picture and call me back! It doesn't help that my new job is a nightmare for getting time off.. So we'll have to wait and see when I can get him booked in again! So annoying as he was only there on Saturday and everything was fine xx

Aghhhh honestly, everything just goes wrong with us and we have no luck whatsoever! :(

Hi,

Honestly thanks both for your comments.. I have just called the vets and they haven't seen the email I sent over yet. So they are chasing this and I'm just waiting for them to see the picture and call me back! It doesn't help that my new job is a nightmare for getting time off.. So we'll have to wait and see when I can get him booked in again! So annoying as he was only there on Saturday and everything was fine xx

Aghhhh honestly, everything just goes wrong with us and we have no luck whatsoever! :(

Nooooo!! Don't say that! Wear your positive pants and believe it's all going to be OK :D

Hi,

Aghhhh honestly, everything just goes wrong with us and we have no luck whatsoever!
:(

I know that feeling ! Sometimes it simply aint possible to see the bright side of things. You have every right to feel rather down given all you have been through with both Honey and Harvey. I hope that the Vet has located your email and got back to you by now x

Thanks guys, but nope still nothing in fuming!!!

I can Understand they have emergencies and that they are really busy, but Its no excuse! I've been told they are currently in surgery but tom will call me back tonight before he leaves. If I don't hear by 8, I'll call again anyway.

He seems fine in himself and doesn't seem bothered by it, but it is looking rather red on the outside and very white, like puss when you pull it back!

Honestly thank you, but with everything with h&h, loosing my job and Bailey.. It's all getting too much :( :( xx

I can Understand they have emergencies and that they are really busy, but Its no excuse! I've been told they are currently in surgery but tom will call me back tonight before he leaves. If I don't hear by 8, I'll call again anyway.

He seems fine in himself and doesn't seem bothered by it, but it is looking rather red on the outside and very white, like puss when you pull it back!

Honestly thank you, but with everything with h&h, loosing my job and Bailey.. It's all getting too much :( :( xx

Errrrrrrrrrgh, how annoying that they still have not got back to you. It sounds like it might be a Meibomian cyst which is very treatable, sometimes they can resolve without any treatment at all.

Sorry they haven't got back to you Ruth!

Probably best not to second guess what it might be until they pronounce!

You've had so much going on in your life, I really feel for you xx

Nope.. Although apparently he's still there!

I'm really hoping that it can't be that urgent, otherwise he'd of called me sooner. I'll keep waiting but I'm guessing it'll probably be tomorrow when I'll speak to him. But I'm guessing he'll want to see Bailey, as I've read up it may be infected so guessing they'll need to check?!

Btw.. What's a warm compression? And how would I go about doing it?

Honestly thanks so much, I've had a good old chat with Bailey tonight and told him, I can't cope with anymore scares... He's got to concentrate on getting better and no more surprises..

I'm really hoping that it can't be that urgent, otherwise he'd of called me sooner. I'll keep waiting but I'm guessing it'll probably be tomorrow when I'll speak to him. But I'm guessing he'll want to see Bailey, as I've read up it may be infected so guessing they'll need to check?!

Honestly thanks so much, I've had a good old chat with Bailey tonight and told him, I can't cope with anymore scares... He's got to concentrate on getting better and no more surprises..

OK a warm compress is simply a cotton wool pad, or any gauze or material pad soaked in warm water and gently pressed over the area. He will automatically close his eye, and some of the water (best cooled from having boiled, for sterility) may get into his eye, which is fine. It will help any cyst or abscess to perhaps discharge itself and any infection to be released.

Hope that makes sense!

Did you send the vet a photo? If so, he's probably looked at it and isn't worried.

Vibes for you and Bailey. I don't want your nerves shot to pieces :)

Have you checked your emails ? If he didn't phone you last night he may have emailed you :)

Oh god, thanks jane.. I didn't even think! Looks like they did email me;

Unfortunately this looks very much like an impacted eye lid gland that may require opening.
You can try to ease the pressure a little by placing warm compresses (moist kitchen towel)
on the eye if he will accept this.
If it is not better within a couple of days, it will be best for us to have a look.

So looks like I'll try the compressing thing this morning although not looking forward to that, and maybe book him an appointment on Friday evening as I can't get any time off unless it's an emergency! But of course if it gets worse, I'll take him straight down!

My poor little man... Feel so sorry for him! :cry:

Poor Bailey, hope the compresses work to ease it. Gentle nose rubs Bailey, get well soon. Big hug for you Ruth, so sorry you've got another bunny trauma, all your buns have been lucky to have you though xxxxx

Unfortunately this looks very much like an impacted eye lid gland that may require opening.
You can try to ease the pressure a little by placing warm compresses (moist kitchen towel)
If it is not better within a couple of days, it will be best for us to have a look.

So looks like I'll try the compressing thing this morning although not looking forward to that, and maybe book him an appointment on Friday evening as I can't get any time off unless it's an emergency! But of course if it gets worse, I'll take him straight down!

I thought he might have emailed you !!

Please dont stress about having the infected gland opened, it is a relatively straight-forward procedure. A couple of my Rabbits have had it done and they were both absolutely fine afterwards. If the swelling does not resolve with warm compresses (which may release the pus) then the Vet may suggest opening it up using just a local anaesthetic. Then an abx eye treatment would be prescribed. The Vet could then carry out further investigations, should they be needed, when Bailey has the GA for his ear canal flush.

Ruth I did wonder if he'd email you back, which is why I asked if you'd sent a photo :)

I'm glad you have a response. An impacted eyelid gland may well respond to compresses, but if it doesn't (or you're not happy doing that) the vet can take a better look once Bailey is having his ear flush.

As I mentioned the warm compresses may well bring the pus to the surface and discharge itself.

Good luck Ruth xx

Honestly thanks both!

Jane it's good to know you've had experience and it's not as awful as it sounds, I'm just really weary as poor Harvey had bad eyes and I know how stubborn his ulcers were and painful too! :(

Well I had a go this morning and he hates it with a passion! I think It is hurting him as he let out a wimper which really upset me. Well actually just popped back to see him and it's looking ever so slightly more white? Is this bad or good?

Back