• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie update - she's 11 today!

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hello everyone. Rosie has had a slightly runny left eye for about 3 weeks. For the first couple of weeks the fur under her eye would be a little bit wet, then dry again, then wet again. She was otherwise very well, normal appetite and behaviour so we weren't overly concerned. Last Sunday however it hadn't dried for a day or so, so we took her to the vet. Vet gave Isathal cream (used to be called Fucithalmic) and Loxicom and said she wanted to see her again in a week. By Wednesday it was looking worse so we took her back again. Vet (different one) checked her teeth and said one looked a tiny bit longer than the others with the very start of some tiny spurs (which she has had before but corrected herself) and said to take her back tomorrow morning (ie Monday). She also gave Baytril twice a day in case it was an infection/irritation that wasn't responding to the cream.

During all this, Rosie has had a very normal appetite (she's always been an excellent hay eater) and is fine in herself though a little more unstable on her feet when she's cleaning herself or eating her caecotrophs - she is nearly 10 though, so I guess this wouldn't be entirely unexpected. She's also lost some weight (1.53kg this time last year, now 1.27kg), vet did not seem concerned about this, as other than her runny eye, she is very well in herself.

She did say she didn't think the tear duct was blocked as the wet on her face is tears rather than a discharge, however this is a vet we haven't seen before (the small animal one we normally see has retired) and when I asked she said she sees a lot of rabbits but has no special interest, so we don't know how savvy she is.

Rosie's face has dried in the meantime, was a little bit wet again yesterday but today is dry again. Martyn is bathing her face fur with some warm water to try and clean the fur as the tears have made it a bit crusty. Not sure how well this is working though!

How long would we expect it to take the cream/antibiotics to work if they are going to? If they don't, could it still be something other than a problem with her teeth? As I said she's nearly 10 (and in fact could already be as she was found as a stray and estimated as 2), but we're obviously concerned about anaesthetic at her age, though she is otherwise well.

Any insight or suggestions very gratefully received, thank you.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Rosie has had a slightly runny left eye for about 3 weeks. For the first couple of weeks the fur under her eye would be a little bit wet, then dry again, then wet again. She was otherwise very well, normal appetite and behaviour so we weren't overly concerned. Last Sunday however it hadn't dried for a day or so, so we took her to the vet. Vet gave Isathal cream (used to be called Fucithalmic) and Loxicom and said she wanted to see her again in a week. By Wednesday it was looking worse so we took her back again. Vet (different one) checked her teeth and said one looked a tiny bit longer than the others with the very start of some tiny spurs (which she has had before but corrected herself) and said to take her back tomorrow morning (ie Monday). She also gave Baytril twice a day in case it was an infection/irritation that wasn't responding to the cream.

During all this, Rosie has had a very normal appetite (she's always been an excellent hay eater) and is fine in herself though a little more unstable on her feet when she's cleaning herself or eating her caecotrophs - she is nearly 10 though, so I guess this wouldn't be entirely unexpected. She's also lost some weight (1.53kg this time last year, now 1.27kg), vet did not seem concerned about this, as other than her runny eye, she is very well in herself.

She did say she didn't think the tear duct was blocked as the wet on her face is tears rather than a discharge, however this is a vet we haven't seen before (the small animal one we normally see has retired) and when I asked she said she sees a lot of rabbits but has no special interest, so we don't know how savvy she is.

Rosie's face has dried in the meantime, was a little bit wet again yesterday but today is dry again. Martyn is bathing her face fur with some warm water to try and clean the fur as the tears have made it a bit crusty. Not sure how well this is working though!

How long would we expect it to take the cream/antibiotics to work if they are going to? If they don't, could it still be something other than a problem with her teeth? As I said she's nearly 10 (and in fact could already be as she was found as a stray and estimated as 2), but we're obviously concerned about anaesthetic at her age, though she is otherwise well.

If the Vet noted an elongated crown on one of the teeth this can cause a runny eye. In elderly Rabbits tooth roots can become elongated. So the longer the crowns of the teeth the more pressure is put on the roots, if you see what I mean.

Did the Vet check to see if the nasolacrimal duct is draining ?

Thanks for your reply Jane. The vet did put some green stain in her eye to check for scratches but I don't remember her checking specifically if it came out of her nose at all (and I don't remember seeing that it did either). Is that a different duct to the tear duct?

Further to this she's always been prone to sneezing fits and had a bit of a wet nose, it's been investigated and nothing has ever been found to be wrong. She's always been very healthy. Would the fact she has a wet nose indicate that it is draining? It does look better this morning, it's dry and the fur looks better though definitely more bathing needed.

Further to this she's always been prone to sneezing fits and had a bit of a wet nose, it's been investigated and nothing has ever been found to be wrong. She's always been very healthy. Would the fact she has a wet nose indicate that it is draining? It does look better this morning, it's dry and the fur looks better though definitely more bathing needed.

The nasolacrimal duct is the 'tear duct'. If the duct is draining normally some Fluorescein dye usually comes down the nostril(s). Sneezing can sometimes be another sign of tooth root elongation. I'd have a chat with the Vet about it, it may be that the runny eye is an issue that will just need daily care rather than going in for various diagnostics etc. A tear duct flush (nasolacrimal duct cannulation) could be attempted

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/Nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

Sometimes there may be a thick plug of gunk blocking the duct and it may be possible to flush it out.

She's nearly 10 years old - what a wonderful life time Martlou :)

The tear duct can often get blocked in rabbits, it's very common. The vet can flush it, usually without anaesthetic (though some prefer to sedate):

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

I have been able to do this procedure myself at home under vet's instructions, so it's not difficult though you need a very steady hand and a patient rabbit as the tear duct is fragile :)

Often when a rabbit gets older and begins to lose a bit of weight, their immune system isn't up to par and they find it more difficult to fight off these little infections. You could try giving some echinacea, or even asking your vet to give her a shot of anabolic steroid. This isn't like the corticosteroid for inflammation, it's for building muscles and appetite and many find it extremely useful for general debility.

That's treating the whole rabbit and not just the eye! You can administer compresses with cooled boiled water and that should help to express any debris and pus if there's any there.

If the eye drops don't work you could discuss flushing the tear duct - I would expect some improvement after 48 hours :)

Thanks both, the vet was happy this morning her eye is definitely looking better, but has said to carry on with the drugs for another week. If it looks completely better then we need to take her back in another week, if it's not, in a week from now. In the meantime we need to get her some alfalfa hay and try and get some weight on her. She'd put 2 grams on this morning bless her.

We wouldn't consider trying the flush ourselves, patient is not a word you could use about rosie! She's very fiesty and we'd be scared of hurting her. I will definitely bear in mind about the steroids and other suggestions though as anything we can do to help her or avoid a general, we will.

She has had a lovely life I hope thanks MightyMax . We don't know what happened to her before us as she was a stray but we really hope she's always felt safe, warm, well fed and loved. She's really precious to us and it's hard to see her slowing down a bit.

Got some readigrass, mini alfalfa bales and new forage which does include echinacea (6%). Is that how you give it or does it come as a supplement? Both buns are munching away at the readiness but turned their noses up at the alfalfa bales. Haven't given them the new forage yet as don't want to overload them with new stuff.

Got some readigrass, mini alfalfa bales and new forage which does include echinacea (6%). Is that how you give it or does it come as a supplement? Both buns are munching away at the readiness but turned their noses up at the alfalfa bales. Haven't given them the new forage yet as don't want to overload them with new stuff.

You can give it in several ways :D

Eating the actual echinacea is a very good way. You can use a liquid supplement, but obviously you will have to syringe as you can't be sure how much will be drunk if you put it into water.

You could use a herbal tincture, or break open a capsule and put it onto food :)

Thanks. We were a bit worried about her last night, she's a bit wobbly bless her. She didn't come and jump up onto the settee for strokes like she normally does, but she laid down in a corner behind the settee. She seems fine today though, her appetite is still really good and she's hoovering up her readigrass and new forage. I just feel like every morning and when I get home from work I'm worried about what I might find :cry: Really hoping she's got lots of life left in her yet.

This is an old photo (very old actually, it's not long after we got her) but I do love it of her :love: (sorry it's masive)

Thanks. We were a bit worried about her last night, she's a bit wobbly bless her. She didn't come and jump up onto the settee for strokes like she normally does, but she laid down in a corner behind the settee. She seems fine today though, her appetite is still really good and she's hoovering up her readigrass and new forage. I just feel like every morning and when I get home from work I'm worried about what I might find :cry: Really hoping she's got lots of life left in her yet.

This is an old photo (very old actually, it's not long after we got her) but I do love it of her :love: (sorry it's masive)

What a lovely lady :love: I am glad to hear that she has had a better day today. Does she have some arthritis ? If so that can make a Bun 'wobbly' on their pins. Some days can be worse than others.

That's a really lovely photo Martlou :love:

I know that feeling of 'what you may find' .. I guess the only way is to make every day as special as possible in some way, and know that you've given her the very best you can. I have had rabbits live to 14 and beyond, so she may not be ready to leave her lovely life with you yet!

What a lovely lady :love: I am glad to hear that she has had a better day today. Does she have some arthritis ? If so that can make a Bun 'wobbly' on their pins. Some days can be worse than others.

I had wondered about arthritis actually, she seems a bit stiff on her feet when she first gets up sometimes, and takes a few hops to get going. That doesn't seem to be a problem for her though, is it something we could help with?

That's a really lovely photo Martlou :love:

I know that feeling of 'what you may find' .. I guess the only way is to make every day as special as possible in some way, and know that you've given her the very best you can. I have had rabbits live to 14 and beyond, so she may not be ready to leave her lovely life with you yet!

14 is amazing :D I hope Rosie can red this! We do everything we can for the bunnies to have a nice life. They were both rescue, Rosie was a stray so we don't know what happened to her but Ted was handed over to the rescue at 10 months in a terrible state and they they didn't think he'd last the night :cry: They're both really precious to us.

I had wondered about arthritis actually, she seems a bit stiff on her feet when she first gets up sometimes, and takes a few hops to get going. That doesn't seem to be a problem for her though, is it something we could help with?

14 is amazing :D I hope Rosie can red this! We do everything we can for the bunnies to have a nice life. They were both rescue, Rosie was a stray so we don't know what happened to her but Ted was handed over to the rescue at 10 months in a terrible state and they they didn't think he'd last the night :cry: They're both really precious to us.

They are indeed precious :love:

Regarding arthritis, I have used Metacam and also Tramadol. Sometimes just one and sometimes both together. I have also discussed acupuncture with my vet, as a course of six sessions is very effective. Could you discuss the options with your vet and see what they say? :)

They are indeed precious :love:

Regarding arthritis, I have used Metacam and also Tramadol. Sometimes just one and sometimes both together. I have also discussed acupuncture with my vet, as a course of six sessions is very effective. Could you discuss the options with your vet and see what they say? :)

Thanks when we go back I will mention it and see what they think. She's still very sprightly on her feet and runs round jumping up on the furniture, so although she doesn't seem as stable as she used to be, she certainly doesn't seem to be finding any little bit of stiffness an issue.

Thanks when we go back I will mention it and see what they think. She's still very sprightly on her feet and runs round jumping up on the furniture, so although she doesn't seem as stable as she used to be, she certainly doesn't seem to be finding any little bit of stiffness an issue.

I preferred not to have an X-ray, so I got the vet to examine all over for signs of stiffness. Then I discussed pain relief. A lot can be done for our elderlies that wasn't given so often in the past to keep them comfortable :love:

Yes, definitely. If arthritis were to be an issue then initially Metacam given at a 'loading dose' ie a dose at the high end of the dose range for a few days then titrating the dose down to the lowest possible level to provide adequate anti-inflammatory analgesic cover.

If over time Metacam alone does not provide sufficient anti-inflammatory analgesic cover then other drugs such as Tramadol can be tried. There is also the option of Cartrophen injections for some Rabbits

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-446153

Muscle wastage can occur in arthritic Rabbits and this can contribute to them being a bit unsteady on their feet. So massage and gentle physiotherapy (under the guidance of a Vet) can help maintain as much muscle tone as possible.

My Vet also provides Acupuncture for my arthritic Rabbits. Whilst it has been helpful in most cases, a couple of 'stress head' Rabbits could not cope with all the hands on care. This can also apply to the hands on care needed for massage and/or physiotherapy.

So there are certainly several treatment option open to you if Rosie does have some arthritis, but each case needs to be addressed on it's on merit by the Vet treating them. What helps one Rabbit may not help others.

I am sure you already do so, but if Rosie is wobbly her hocks may get a bit sore. So checking her hocks would be a good idea.

How's her eye now ?

From what you've described Martlou, her arthritis isn't particularly pronounced and as she's a relatively (in my terms!) young bunny I would be wary of a longterm dose of metacam because of the possible kidney damage. The benefits of taking it certainly outweigh the risks *if* the pain is bad, but as bunnies get older their kidneys are more fragile anyway, so it's down to weighing up :D

How's she doing today? :wave:

Thanks both for your detailed replies and continued interest, it's much appreciated. Her eye is looking a lot better, we'll do some more bathing of the fur tonight to help her get rid of the last little bits of crusties.

She's not at all a hands on bunny so not sure she'd go for physio really bless her, but I'm not concerned about her being arthritic to he honest. She's very lively and doesn't seem at all bothered by a stiff hop or two! We've been keeping an eye on her feet and they're fully fur covered, no sign of soreness at all. She is eating all the new readigrass, forage and alfalfa with great gusto and I feel confident she'll have put some weight on when we take her back for weighing (if I could do the love smilie here I would but I'm on my phone!)

Last edited:
Back