• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two males?

Henry_Dixie

Young Bun
I have a 10 year old neutered nethie who lost his wife back in June. Due to the cold weather and the fact he hates being indoors I want to get him a friend. For the past 5 years I've always wanted another French lop and now I have the chance to take on a 11 week old French lop Buck. Can anyone give me some advice on bonding etc? My nethie was successfully bonded with two females in the past but out lived them both. I would be grateful for some advice. I understand a male/female combination is the best but surely it's possible with two males?

I would be tempted to make it a trio with a boy and girl to go with your old boy. As long as they are all neutered first, and bonding is done on neutral territory, there is no reason why it shouldn't work. I find boy pairs the easiest bond, but trios are fun and you won't end up with a lonely singleton again in a few years. 10 is a really good age for a rabbit, but paired with a youngster, it is inevitable you will be in the same position again and having a trio means one less set of bonding in the future.

I don't think there is much chance of hubby letting me have a third! It was hard to persuade him to get this one. What age can I neuter? Is there no chance on introing before?

Someone has advised me to put them in a car carrier together for bonding as th enclosed space helps. Does this work?

It stresses them and so takes their mind off the fact that there is another rabbit or makes them cuddle up in mutual comfort.

Not something that I would do.

Back