• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slow eater

Thank you both.

I do hope I've made the right decision, it 'feels' like the right one, but there's that sense of responsibility there. If I didn't know about the spur I might have thought she was being fussy perhaps or just taking her time.

I'm nervous, as it's not been long since Buffy had hers and as you know, it's emotional! x

Just seen this ThreeB's .. Yes I think you're doing the right thing getting the tooth spur sorted first. That's what I would do. With the combi vaccine it takes a full three weeks for immunity to develop, therefore within that time it's best not to lay a burden of coping on a rabbit's body in case it's too much for it to handle.

It may not be the spur that's causing it, but until your vet has a very good look in the mouth you will never really know :D

Oh I didn't know that MM, is it standard practice then to make you wait three weeks after?

I've checked her this morning and she still has lots of food left, so I think I will call the vet today. I don't mind at all swapping things around if she is in pain, but do u think it's risky postponing the jab (it's the rhdv2)? She is an indoor bun at the moment though, so maybe less at risk?

Do you know, would the jab then have to be three weeks after the spay or is it different?

Thanks for your help x

Just to update on my previous post, I see that the jab is for RHD2. This doesn't take three weeks for immunity, only one week, so that would be the period you would need to allow. You could do the jab on Thursday and then wait one week before the spay. However, my feeling is to still swap them around and do the spay/teeth first.

Once she has fully recovered from the spay it will be fine to vaccinate, whether that's three weeks or possibly less :D

Just seen this ThreeB's .. Yes I think you're doing the right thing getting the tooth spur sorted first. That's what I would do. With the combi vaccine it takes a full three weeks for immunity to develop, therefore within that time it's best not to lay a burden of coping on a rabbit's body in case it's too much for it to handle.

It may not be the spur that's causing it, but until your vet has a very good look in the mouth you will never really know :D

I might be getting confused, but have I messed up then because she had the combi jab on 3rd Nov (and was to have the Rhd on 18th Nov) so is it too soon after the combi to do a spay, or does it just apply to jabs? Thank you x

I might be getting confused, but have I messed up then because she had the combi jab on 3rd Nov (and was to have the Rhd on 18th Nov) so is it too soon after the combi to do a spay, or does it just apply to jabs? Thank you x

OK don't worry :) Three weeks *should* be left after the combi jab so having RHD2 on 18th November would be a bit soon (your vet should know this?)

Well if it were me ideally I would like to wait three weeks before a major op after a jab that required three weeks to build up full immunity. Just as I mentioned not to tax the immune system too much.

So as far as the spay goes, you could wait for three weeks, and postpone the RHD2 jab. But for the dental spur which was to be done at the same time, I think you should use your judgment as to how she is managing eating wise. If you need to bring this forward because of her eating, then I would do so ... The last thing you want is her not eating.

Does this make sense?

I don't think you've messed up, but it has now got more complicated.

I would reason it through in the same way as MM has. A spay is worrying enough without having the niggle that her immune system might not yet be back to normal. But then there's the issue of the tooth spur, which might start to trouble her more.

I think you have said that whilst she takes a long time, she does eventually eat all of her food at the moment?

If it were me in this situation then, I would put off the spay until around the 24th, but monitor the eating/spur situation and have a dental done before that if necessary and then do the RHDV2, giving the required gap, after everything else.

I think so :) it is a little complicated. Yes it is strange that our vet said two weeks was enough of a gap.

I think I'll get them to check her mouth again before going ahead. I would much prefer to leave a bigger gap before the spay op, but obviously it makes sense to do both while she is under.

I honestly don't know if her tooth can wait or not. I mean she is still eating, but not much hay at all and making a small amount of pellets last a day or more. When we first got her she loved her veg too, but she's leaving that for ages as well now.

Blimey it's tricky isn't it! x

Thanks Omi, I'm starting to think the same. I wish the vets had said that the spay could be too soon after the combi jab. But I guess because you speak to the receptionist.

I think so :) it is a little complicated. Yes it is strange that our vet said two weeks was enough of a gap.

I think I'll get them to check her mouth again before going ahead. I would much prefer to leave a bigger gap before the spay op, but obviously it makes sense to do both while she is under.

I honestly don't know if her tooth can wait or not. I mean she is still eating, but not much hay at all and making a small amount of pellets last a day or more. When we first got her she loved her veg too, but she's leaving that for ages as well now.

Blimey it's tricky isn't it! x

The only disadvantage of having a dental first and then the spay, is two GAs close together. Within weeks maybe. That I definitely would not do. Of course if your vet could do conscious dentals, then there wouldn't be an issue, but I'm guessing that isn't the case?

It doesn't sound to me as though the eating issue should be left too much longer, and I wouldn't wait until the 24th myself. You have to remember as well that if she's finding it difficult to eat, it's most likely painful if there's a dental spur ....

Good luck whatever you decide. Not an easy call :)

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the advice!

No, I don't think they do conscious ones as they seemed pretty set on doing it at the same time as the spay.

I don't know, but would there be any benefit to just doing a dental and postponing the spay for a few months? Or perhaps the GA itself would still be a risk.

I think I'm going to go in the morning, get her tooth checked to see if they think it can wait or if they can just do the tooth.

I don't think I've ever been more confused when it's come to the rabbits before x

I was going to say postpone the spay if the dental needs to be done very soon. I also agree that 2 GAs very close to each other wouldn't be advisable. Do you know how old she is?

I think your plan to have the tooth spur looked at in the morning is a good one. I think also I would find it helpful to chat through all the issues with my vet. It may be that they advise coming to a sort-of mid-way compromise, so that if the tooth could be left say until next Monday, you could then I think reasonably have the spay done at the same time (21st).

The previous owner said she's 12 months.

I think that's what I'll do then. It's difficult to reach a conclusion till they've seen her and I can discuss it with them. Told my dh I would feel bad messing then around, but at the end of the day we are the paying customer and I'm not going to risk her health and will call tomorrow off if necessary.

Thank you for all your replies x

I don't think that you would be messing them around. Any reasonable vet would completely understand the issues.

I think that's what I'll do then. It's difficult to reach a conclusion till they've seen her and I can discuss it with them. Told my dh I would feel bad messing then around, but at the end of the day we are the paying customer and I'm not going to risk her health and will call tomorrow off if necessary.

Exactly, you are the paying customer and are entitled to the right and safest treatment for your rabbit. Any vet would also wish the same :D I hope you get on OK at the vet tomorrow :D

What have you decided to do ThreeB's :wave:

So kind of you both to ask after Dottie :)

I first want to say that I so appreciate all the advice and I did agonise over a decision - but after speaking with the vet, did decide to go ahead with both the tooth and spay.

I went in there fully intending to get just the tooth sorted, and explained my concerns. The vet reassured me that enough time had passed since the jab and he wasn't concerned. He did ultimately leave the decision up to me, but I felt that if he was certain the jab wasn't an issue, then it was better to get everything done at the same time.

Thankfully Dottie came thorough the op ok and is back home this evening. She is actually looking quite alert, compared to when we collected Buffy a few months ago.

I'll be keeping a close eye on her and she goes back in two days for a check.

I hope you don't think I didn't listen, it was really important to me to be able to reason things through. Thanks again x

I first want to say that I so appreciate all the advice and I did agonise over a decision - but after speaking with the vet, did decide to go ahead with both the tooth and spay.

I went in there fully intending to get just the tooth sorted, and explained my concerns. The vet reassured me that enough time had passed since the jab and he wasn't concerned. He did ultimately leave the decision up to me, but I felt that if he was certain the jab wasn't an issue, then it was better to get everything done at the same time.

Thankfully Dottie came thorough the op ok and is back home this evening. She is actually looking quite alert, compared to when we collected Buffy a few months ago.

I hope you don't think I didn't listen, it was really important to me to be able to reason things through. Thanks again x

Gosh, no of course not, it makes much more sense to talk it through with your vet :D It became so complicated with all the different issues.

I'm really pleased that Dottie is now home and recovering well. Did the vet make any comment about the tooth spur? Hopefully she'll soon be eating you out of house and home :lol:

Hi there :wave:

We only give advice here, and the decision is between you and your vet.

To be honest I am really relieved that you've got it all done at once, and not waited very long either. it was a difficult decision but I am totally on your side :D

I hope she starts eating again very soon, if she hasn't already. Did the vet make any comment on her dental?

Thank you both. We saw a vet nurse who was just passing things on, so they didn't say much about the dental, but I think they said they filed the two front bottom teeth. I'll probably have a better chance to clarify things when I take her back :) x

Back