Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Poo!!

Default Soft Poo!!

Hi, I have two 14 week old Dutch rabbits (female) one of them is doing soft black poo which is clumped together like grapes. I have looked this up and it suggests that they are being overfed. My vet advised me that the food order should be Hay, grass, veg, rabbit food is this correct? I feed my rabbits on Burgess SupaRabbit Excel and I give them just over half a bowl between them and when thats gone they dont get any more until the next day. They have good quality hay (meadow hay) and Spillers redigrass, loads of both but they wee all over it! I give them one portion of veg a day as they are still getting used to it. While im on the subject of veg how much should they have and how long should the weaning process take?

Hope someone can help.

The poo you descibe is cecal pellets, rabbits make two types of poop. The dry round pellets you usually see it the litter tray and the soft, dark bunch of grapes type. This second type you don't usually see because they are eaten by the bunny as they are produced. They contain lots of important nutrients.

Hay is the most important part of a rabbits diet and pellets should be fed only in smaller quantities. How big a bowl are you feeding half of? I'd suggest splitting the feed into two, morning and evening and then they can't eat them all at once. Vegetables and grass needs to be introduced slowly, once they are adults and they have got used to eat they can eat a bowl full a day quite happily.

What time of day is she producing the cecal pellets?

Tam

The bowl is the normal size rabbit bowl that is in the shop (?), ceramic, probably a bit like the size of a saucer. They are in their run now and have been for a few hours and there are about 5 lumps of it. I dont notice it very much though when I clean out there hutch, mainly during the morning when they are out.

Did you introduce them to the grass slowly?

It seems to me that this little rabbit has got her body clock tipsy turvey and is now producing what she should be doing in the night, in the morning. Problem being that she is too busy in the morning out in the run enjoying her self to be bothered with eating her pellets.
    How long are they out eating grass and playing in the run aday.
    Tracy
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig Boarding and Bonding
    http://www.rngp.org

Make 2014 in 2014 - total 113.50

They are in their run most of the day (weather permitting) but on the patio and I give them a handfull of Spillers Redigrass, which there is always quite a bit left over when they go back in their hutch around 7ish. The grass in my garden is not very good so that is why they dont go on there.

Hello Claire, if your bunny isn't eating her caecal pellets (long, look like bunch of grapes..) then this is due to her being fed too much pelletted food, so she doesn't feel the need to practice caecotrophy. Pet rabbits normally produce the caecotrophs in the early morning (this can vary from rabbit to rabbit and their routine), but if their routine is disturbed they may deposit uneaten ones.

Rabbits who have food freely available the amount of caecotrophs consumed is influenced by the protein and fibre content of their diet. Increase fibre will increase the caecotrophy, high protein will reduce it. A bunny not practicing caecotrophy will be deprived of many important vits and amino acids.

I would increase hay, as long as they are eating all their pellets and it is the correct amount for their body size and weight, then excel has a good fibre/protein ratio. Keep on with the dried grass as this is higher in fibre than hay, and of course small amounts of vegetables to enable their digestive system to get used to them.
    A bit of probiotic doesn't harm to keep the system healthy.

Annie

Hi, thanks for that everyone. The only problem is where ever I put the hay/grass they wee and poo on it, is this OK? I bought a hay rack but it doesnt fit on their hutch as the wire is too small!

I have one of these

Which you can get here - http://www.bunnymail.co.uk/

Its about 6" tall and hangs on a chain from the lid of Alfies run. I stuff it with hay morning and evening and he adores it. He sits underneath waiting for a refill. Its a good way of making him work a bit extra for his dinner too.

Tam

Banned
    Aberdeen , Scotland. Mubby the wabbit and his Mummy Nicola x

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin
    I have one of these

Which you can get here - http://www.bunnymail.co.uk/

Its about 6" tall and hangs on a chain from the lid of Alfies run. I stuff it with hay morning and evening and he adores it. He sits underneath waiting for a refill. Its a good way of making him work a bit extra for his dinner too.

Tam
    oooh we have one of those!!

Banned
    Aberdeen , Scotland. Mubby the wabbit and his Mummy Nicola x

ok im quite concerned

Mubby doesnt eat these grapey poos ? I always have to clean them out.

and im sure im feeding him too much ,

i posted in the eating sticky topic...can anyone tell me how much pellets i should be feeding him ?? as i read that for the first year it should be unlimmeted

he isnt a greedy buns , he will have a bowl of food and he doesnt eat all the time , just because its there ... he seems to only really eat the food thats in his cage during the evening/ night , doesnt eat much during day...

what should i do
    shoudlnt i put pellets in during night and just allow him unlimmeted hay ?

help!!

i want to be a GREAT mummy!!