• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

For anyone with PAH pet insurance

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
...brace yourselves when it comes to renewal time - they've partnered up with Petplan. I did a quote a couple for Jeremy of weeks ago and it was £86.50 a year. Today I did another quote and it's gone up to £162...

...brace yourselves when it comes to renewal time - they've partnered up with Petplan. I did a quote a couple for Jeremy of weeks ago and it was £86.50 a year. Today I did another quote and it's gone up to £162...
Oh that's bad news [emoji45]
We insured our two back in June, P@H was half the cost of Petplan, but the cover wasn't as good. I cannot remember the difference in the cover, but we went with P@H.
If it doubles at renewal we will have to really weigh up the options
Thank you for the heads up

*crying inside*. I've work out I either cancel all insurance except for such as Elijah with expensive underlying conditions or I would need to work an extra 4 hours a week to make up the difference.... definitely no more rabbits for a long time. :cry::cry: . that four hours is just for the young rabbits of course (ie c £80 hike) ... the difference in premium for the older rabbits will be more staggering than that.

Dinky (age 9) insured with Pets at home £123
Erin (age 9) insured with Petplan £237 ....

Last edited:
http://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/petplan-partners-with-pets-at-home/ Makes it sound as if PAH are pulling out of pet insurance and are just directing customers to petplan. It does make me worry that pet insurance is going to become unaffordable for many bunny owners.

I suspect so. Their prices were too good to be true given especially in the early days when you could insure a rabbit of any age! I'm lucky in that the OOH in this area are not as steep as some of the areas that have to use the likes of Vets Now so not insuring in an option for me but more than a little scary. A lot of people said that P@H T&C didn't match Pp but they did bar the £2k v £1.5k - they've just paid out for Lola's very ordinary molar spur dental. My biggest concern is that I've been considering cancelling all policies for over 7 year olds with Pp as the excesses just make them not worth having ... so this is the scenario I'm faced with for all of them now. Such a huge worry.

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/petplan-partners-with-pets-at-home/ Makes it sound as if PAH are pulling out of pet insurance and are just directing customers to petplan. It does make me worry that pet insurance is going to become unaffordable for many bunny owners.

I have been thinking this for some time. Both Vet Fees and Insurance Premiums are going up and up. So either people will no longer have Pet Rabbits (may be a good thing, but that's for another thread!!) or they will be less likely to seek Vet treatment for any they do have :cry:

I feel sorry for those on p@h insurance. A few years ago another insurance company closed down and redirected their customers to another insurance company.
A lot of people couldn't get the same cover as all the pre existing conditions weren't covered anymore.

Although no fault of the owner, they had technically stopped a policy and taken out a new one. :cry:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm cancelling my insurance with them as it went up so much. Genuinely tempted to get an emergency credit card for bunny vet bills instead, the premiums are a nightmare now.

Helpucover is looking like a contender as an alternative. It's the excesses mainly that are the problem for me with Petplan.

I'm pretty sure that Exotics direct used to do some kind of collective policy where you had a combined maximum for the year rather than for each individual animal. No idea whether they still do that though, but if they do, that might be a viable alternative for someone with several buns (although obviously won't be much use for those with pre-existing conditions)

I'm pretty sure that Exotics direct used to do some kind of collective policy where you had a combined maximum for the year rather than for each individual animal. No idea whether they still do that though, but if they do, that might be a viable alternative for someone with several buns (although obviously won't be much use for those with pre-existing conditions)

I found exotic direct to be very good. They do exclude conditions once they have paid out for them in a year though.

Interestingly enough, I've just done a quote for a < 1 year old rabbit and with Pets at Home website he came back at £162, from the Petplan website he came back as £153.48... looks like you are paying for your 'free' £10 P@H voucher ;)

I found exotic direct to be very good. They do exclude conditions once they have paid out for them in a year though.

I don't know if I'm not understand this properly but I don't get the point of insurance if this is the case, surely if a condition is recurring that's when the bills start to get out of hand and that's when insurance is most important? (I may have misinterpreted you post though...)

Interestingly enough, I've just done a quote for a < 1 year old rabbit and with Pets at Home website he came back at £162, from the Petplan website he came back as £153.48... looks like you are paying for your 'free' £10 P@H voucher ;)

How fascinating!! Cheeky so and sos!

I also discovered yesterday that if you do them via pet plan and quote code 1300027785 then the RWAF get a donation from every new policy or renewal.

I don't know if I'm not understand this properly but I don't get the point of insurance if this is the case, surely if a condition is recurring that's when the bills start to get out of hand and that's when insurance is most important? (I may have misinterpreted you post though...)

It's fairly standard for policies to pay out for a condition for a year and then it goes on the list of excluded conditions. Some have 'lifetime' policies which will continue to pay for ongoing conditions for life. These usually have an upper limit of claims value per year.

It's fairly standard for policies to pay out for a condition for a year and then it goes on the list of excluded conditions. Some have 'lifetime' policies which will continue to pay for ongoing conditions for life. These usually have an upper limit of claims value per year.

Oh, I understand now, I did misinterpret the post. If you are taking out insurance for that year and cover doesn't continue for the following policy year then I can understand why it's excluded. I read it to mean that during the policy year if you claim once for a condition then you can't claim again for the same condition during that policy year - which seemed bizarre, but if we are not talking about lifetime cover then that's explains my misunderstanding.

When I insured with them (a while ago) they weren't these 'lifetime policies" and did exclude a condition once you had claimed. That suited me at the time :)

That's why I said 'once they have paid out for them in a year' - They may have changed their policy status now?

Last edited:
When I insured with them (a while ago) they weren't these 'lifetime policies" and did exclude a condition once you had claimed. That suited me at the time :)

That's why I said 'once they have paid out for them in a year' - They may have changed their policy status now?

Yeah, I completely misunderstood the 'paid out for them in a year' to mean during the year of cover not by the end of the year of cover. I gambled with Artie on his first insurance policy and went with annual and that's when we got £1k back for kidney stones/surgery. I didn't need it the second year as one kidney was removed so there was nothing else they could do if it recurred anyway. That insurance is better than nothing but I would always go for lifetime now, especially with a younger animal.

Yeah, I completely misunderstood the 'paid out for them in a year' to mean during the year of cover not by the end of the year of cover. I gambled with Artie on his first insurance policy and went with annual and that's when we got £1k back for kidney stones/surgery. I didn't need it the second year as one kidney was removed so there was nothing else they could do if it recurred anyway. That insurance is better than nothing but I would always go for lifetime now, especially with a younger animal.

BB - is the NCI insurance considerably better value than Helpucover and can you see any drawbacks having had a chat with them?

Back