• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hock, weird looking!

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

Anyone who has had a bunny with sore hocks, have you seen anything like the picture?

There seems to be a grey area, which looks almost misty physically.
It's not dry, or cracked up.

Foxy went to the vets on Tuesday and is on metacam.
06763a898a97effadf3b27b1af8876ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooooh gosh. That will need rather more than metacam. :(

Where does your bunny live and on what surface?

It's extremely inflamed. The grey area could very well be a skin ulcer or blister. If it is then the risk of infection is extremely high. You need to be very careful to not let sore hocks get infected. There isn't much separating the skin from bone, so the infection can easily go into the bone. Make sure that where your bunny lives is kept very clean until his feet look better.

I'm dealing with bad sore hocks with my 8 year old bunny, despite him being on soft fabric. His hocks have ulcers and mild infection, yet his do not look anywhere near as red and inflamed as your bunny. My boy is on metacam, baytril and his feet are wrapped.

I agree, that looks like it needs more than metacam. Some kind of ointment to soothe the extremely inflamed skin and possibly antibiotics.

Oh :(

It's been going on for a long time now, at least 6 weeks with first a course of antibiotics and now monitoring, wound cream and metacam.

She lives in an outdoor hutch, with a thick vet fleece floor and paper wool in her toilet area. She has fleeces, blankets down also.

Thank you both.

Foxy was on baytril for a period, but it was confirmed there was no infection recently, so it's metacam twice a day. I've been asked to pop a cold compress on it, to try and reduce swelling also.

Is it best to take blankets out, that she can dig at to avoid weight down on the back feet?

It's so frustrating and heartbreaking! All because I installed a stupid pipe connector system, at least that's what I think! As she is well looked after, and much much loved.

What is the best flooring for them with this, and what's best for washing things like fleeces etc?

I'm sure she's well looked after but I understand how you feel. I was devestated when Hector got one. I think it was from the stair carpet.

fortunately, his wasn't as bad but I had to bathe it daily with hibiscrub and put a barrier cream on.

I changed his litter tray more often too and started putting puppy pads in the base of it to keep him really dry during the day when I was out.

I bought loads of vet bed which really helped too.

It's not easy to bandage their feet but it looks like your problem may be getting to the stage where you need to. Fortunately, I didn't.

Good luck. It looks so painful.

Just a thought, how are her nails?

Don't be upset with yourself. I felt the same way when I saw how bad my buns hocks were. Sadly, once they get sore hocks they become very predisposed to it happening again. Often times bunnies who get sore hocks while on soft fabrics do so because they have poor posture and put too much weight on their heels. So really it just takes trying different things and keeping a close eye on their feet.

I'm glad she doesn't have infection and has been on baytril, that is good. Definitely do the cold compress the vet recommended. I would leave the blankets in because you want her to be on flooring that is as soft and padded as possible. Have you heard of Bag Balm? It's really great stuff for sore hocks and great for prevention as well. Here is the link if you want to check it out- click here

I've heard that using memory foam bath mats as flooring works really well for bunnies prone to sore hocks. I'm thinking of giving it a try for my boy since his hocks are still bad despite being on blankets and fleece.

We haven't done an X-ray, only a physical exam with moving the legs but one side is less mobile than the other, stiffer.

Worth pushing for an X-ray?

This is the kind of setup she is in now, not going out in her run either as I'm scared to death but is eating lots of luscious hay!
438f717695c01da5ebb813043da94549.jpg
482a178625a6d793b5aef2c26019631c.jpg
4f196a42298cc5d8f7bb84cb4780be92.jpg

Maybe it's the washing power I've been using to wash her blankets also, might not have helped. I'm going to buy some delicate stuff today!

So stressed out with it, and feel like it's all my fault. I feel like I have over pampered them, and I'm now being almost punished for it. I installed a pipe system around the garden, and it was when we came back from holiday I noticed a pool of dried blood on her foot, which we then rushed her to the vets and this whole saga began :(. She won't have a bandage, at all, no way but insists if digging at blankets, thumping when I'm clearly in the wrong and going a bit as usual, all be it slower and less mobile but she is 8 1/2!

Unless the pipe system is in the bunny enclosure and she's sitting on it all the time then I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with her condition.

You're an excellent bunny guardian, I can tell from the pictures and your concern. So please don't feel like it's your fault or that you are to blame. Sore hocks is a common problem. There is a misconception that only bunnies who are neglected, on hard surfaces or wire flooring are the one's to get sore hocks. Bunnies who are totally spoiled, receive great care and are on soft flooring can get them too, especially if there is a contributing factors like arthritis or poor posture.

I'm going to be getting an x-ray of my senior boy who is prone to sore hocks because I'm almost certain he's got arthritis. If you have the money to get an x-ray done I would say go for it since it could possibly explain the reason why she's getting sore hocks despite being on soft/padded flooring. Especially since she's a senior bun as well. I don't think it's coincidence that our bunnies are almost the same age, both on soft fabric and both still experiencing sore hocks problems.

Thank you x. How bad are your boys hocks? What type of things do you do to relieve them? I'm probably already doing everything, but good to check.

I think I will ask for an X-ray, money isn't so much a problem when it comes to the fur babies, husband would disagree lol!

End of the day, they are part of the family and deserve the same respect.

Thank you for your kind words, it has made me feel better. [emoji846]

I too think that's a fabulous cosy home and it seems that you are doing everything that is recommended for rabbits with sore hocks. I also think it would be worth having an x-ray.

Your set up looks lovely. In my experience caring for Rabbits with chronic sore hocks sometimes even fleece can be too abrasive. I usually cover fleece with a cotton sheet :)

Re her not going out in the run, is it because you worry about her hock getting too dirty ? I ask as with sore hocks it is usually important for the Rabbit to exercise. The more sedentary they are the more pressure they put on their hocks.

I too think that's a fabulous cosy home and it seems that you are doing everything that is recommended for rabbits with sore hocks. I also think it would be worth having an x-ray.

Yes, it looks lovely :love:

I agree with Omi about the X-ray

Back