• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harry's a bit off his food - what would you do?

HannahB

Young Bun
Harry is my utterlly handsome 7 year old giant mix-breed. He's been prone to bouts of stasis through his entire life, despite being seen by the vet the second he looks off and his diet is beyond perfect (I don't mean to brag, but it's been carefully planned by our vet! ;-) ).

Yesterday morning, Harry decided he didn't want to eat. Great. Because he's so prone to stasis, we have a pretty established routine to tackle it - metacam for pain, cisipride for gut motility, chasing him around to get him moving, tummy rubs and tempting him with herbs/ veggies/ anything we can think of. His tummy did feel quite distended and he definitely looked uncomfortable. We administered the usual meds and left for work. I popped back at lunchtime; he'd eaten everything and had left some lovely normal poops in his litter tray. By the evening, he really wanted his food and demolished the whole lot, then spent the rest of the night nibbling on hay, asking for treats and just being... Harry. I'd given him a little more metacam and cispride just to keep things moving, but felt confident we were over it and disaster had been averted.

This morning: not eating again. Like, really not eating. He nibbled a bit of apple, a bit of parsley and a bit of kale and then sat in his litter tray. He'd been pooping overnight and didn't look in as much pain as yesterday, but definitely wasn't eating. I had to come to work, so hubs and I made up some mushy pellets and gently force fed those so that I know he has something in his tummy.

It's one of those irritating instances where he's not quite bad enough to rush to the vets (we're going tomorrow anyway for Molly's check up, so he can be seen then), but he's not quite right. What would you guys do? Nurse him through tiltomorrow's vet appointment, or go sooner? Obviously if he shows a real change in behaviour or looks in pain I'll take him straight away, but our vet is a bit of a distance away and I'd like to avoid the stress on him of travelling if possible.

Your thoughts?

My Louie was prone to stasis all through his life. We too had our routine of tummy rubs etc. If all of this hadn't worked within a day then we would take him to the vets.

Harry is my utterlly handsome 7 year old giant mix-breed. He's been prone to bouts of stasis through his entire life, despite being seen by the vet the second he looks off and his diet is beyond perfect (I don't mean to brag, but it's been carefully planned by our vet! ;-) ).

Yesterday morning, Harry decided he didn't want to eat. Great. Because he's so prone to stasis, we have a pretty established routine to tackle it - metacam for pain, cisipride for gut motility, chasing him around to get him moving, tummy rubs and tempting him with herbs/ veggies/ anything we can think of. His tummy did feel quite distended and he definitely looked uncomfortable. We administered the usual meds and left for work. I popped back at lunchtime; he'd eaten everything and had left some lovely normal poops in his litter tray. By the evening, he really wanted his food and demolished the whole lot, then spent the rest of the night nibbling on hay, asking for treats and just being... Harry. I'd given him a little more metacam and cispride just to keep things moving, but felt confident we were over it and disaster had been averted.

This morning: not eating again. Like, really not eating. He nibbled a bit of apple, a bit of parsley and a bit of kale and then sat in his litter tray. He'd been pooping overnight and didn't look in as much pain as yesterday, but definitely wasn't eating. I had to come to work, so hubs and I made up some mushy pellets and gently force fed those so that I know he has something in his tummy.

It's one of those irritating instances where he's not quite bad enough to rush to the vets (we're going tomorrow anyway for Molly's check up, so he can be seen then), but he's not quite right. What would you guys do? Nurse him through tiltomorrow's vet appointment, or go sooner? Obviously if he shows a real change in behaviour or looks in pain I'll take him straight away, but our vet is a bit of a distance away and I'd like to avoid the stress on him of travelling if possible.

Your thoughts?

I suspect that his 'not eating' is a secondary symptom in response to pain. Not necessarily abdominal pain. Could he have some arthritis ? Yesterday he probably started to eat once the Metacam kicked in. By this morning the analgesic effect of the Metacam had worn off = pain again= not eating.

Personally I'd want to get a Vet to examine him to make sure that there is not more going on than 'just' his usual GI tract hypomotility issues xx

I would take him today if his poos are not normal (size, quantity, etc), otherwise I would probably ring today anyway and take him in tomorrow (knowing his history and that he has had treatment / food) if that is suggested by your vet - or, better still, bring tomorrow's appointment forward and do both tonight. There is obviously something not right and you are on top of it, but it is still bothering you (and bunny) - go with your gut feeling - always.

Hmmm. Good points all round.

I'll go home at lunch time and see how he's doing - I suspect his condition at that point will make the decision clear. So frustrating as I really thought we'd nipped it in the bud yesterday! Sometimes with Harry, he starts to go down the 'I'm not eating' path, and with quick intervention we head it off at the pass before it develops into anything at all. I'd hoped that was the case this time.

I'll report back later in case this thread can benefit anyone else. Thanks all for your responses.

Your thoughts?

Has the vet examined his teeth and are they OK? That's often a cause or recurrent stasis in a rabbit. The Metacam would've taken away the dental pain (maybe spurs?) and enabled him to eat for a while.

Also, it may be that whatever began the episode is over now, and the gas is causing an ongoing problem of it's own?

It's so difficult to know what to do in these circumstances, isn't it? x

Hi MightyMax :) His teeth haven't been examined all that recently, although the suddenness of him losing his appetite makes me think that dental problems are unlikley, having had a chronic dental bun in the past.

It's a really good point that the incident that caused this might have passed but the gut issues are remaining. And yes, sooooo difficult to know what to do! Even this morning he's pooping perfectly fine and is really feisty in himself. He was MAD at us for syringe feeding him. I felt bad for leaving him this morning, but he never behaves normally when I'm hovering over him and watching hihs every move so I think it was best to leave him to his own devices for a couple of hours.

Hi MightyMax :) His teeth haven't been examined all that recently, although the suddenness of him losing his appetite makes me think that dental problems are unlikley, having had a chronic dental bun in the past.

It's a really good point that the incident that caused this might have passed but the gut issues are remaining. And yes, sooooo difficult to know what to do! Even this morning he's pooping perfectly fine and is really feisty in himself. He was MAD at us for syringe feeding him. I felt bad for leaving him this morning, but he never behaves normally when I'm hovering over him and watching hihs every move so I think it was best to leave him to his own devices for a couple of hours.

How's he getting on now Hannah? :wave:

Teeth problems *can* creep up on them, but some buns are so stoical they let it get to a pretty pass before they succumb to not eating. Then it's a sudden stoppage. Also, it's hard (as you know) for a vet to get a really good look at the back teeth with just an otoscope.

Vibes for Harry!

How's he getting on now Hannah? :wave:

Teeth problems *can* creep up on them, but some buns are so stoical they let it get to a pretty pass before they succumb to not eating. Then it's a sudden stoppage. Also, it's hard (as you know) for a vet to get a really good look at the back teeth with just an otoscope.

Vibes for Harry!

We're back from seeing the wonderful Richard at Trinity in Maidstone. He checked Harry over and said he was perfectly healthy. While that's obviously great news, Harry's appetite is still a bit off and his litter tray isn't quite normal. Richard advised to carry on with the metacam and cisipride that I was already giving and just keep a close eye on him - he said that if he doesn't improve we could do bloods to rule out an infection. I'll take Harry with me tomorrow when Molly goes in for her scheduled appointment for another check over, and obviously will take action sooner if he needs it.

I'm glad that Richard says he's fine, but frustrated that Harry isn't behaving like he's fine! Huff.

We're back from seeing the wonderful Richard at Trinity in Maidstone. He checked Harry over and said he was perfectly healthy. While that's obviously great news, Harry's appetite is still a bit off and his litter tray isn't quite normal. Richard advised to carry on with the metacam and cisipride that I was already giving and just keep a close eye on him - he said that if he doesn't improve we could do bloods to rule out an infection. I'll take Harry with me tomorrow when Molly goes in for her scheduled appointment for another check over, and obviously will take action sooner if he needs it.

I'm glad that Richard says he's fine, but frustrated that Harry isn't behaving like he's fine! Huff.

Yeah, huff indeed!!

In fact you know that Harry isn't 100% fine, is he? Richard can't find anything wrong I suppose. Did he look at his teeth? Not that it's an easy thing with rabbits x

Yeah, huff indeed!!

In fact you know that Harry isn't 100% fine, is he? Richard can't find anything wrong I suppose. Did he look at his teeth? Not that it's an easy thing with rabbits x

He's actually perked up a bit now and is eating lots of herby bits. Yep, Richard looked at his teeth and couldn't find anything. His gut is moving although 'output' isn't as it should be. It's nice having the reassurance of knowing we have an appointment booked tomorrow so he can be checked out again if things aren't right.

Harry can be funny like this though, often when he takes a funny turn it takes him a couple of days to bounce back and then it's like nothing ever happened.

He's actually perked up a bit now and is eating lots of herby bits. Yep, Richard looked at his teeth and couldn't find anything. His gut is moving although 'output' isn't as it should be. It's nice having the reassurance of knowing we have an appointment booked tomorrow so he can be checked out again if things aren't right.

Harry can be funny like this though, often when he takes a funny turn it takes him a couple of days to bounce back and then it's like nothing ever happened.

They are such mysterious little creatures, aren't they? Infuriating too! :lol:

You can get a second opinion tomorrow, which is very good x

They are such mysterious little creatures, aren't they? Infuriating too! :lol:

You can get a second opinion tomorrow, which is very good x

Morning! So Allie at Trinity examined Harry on Saturday and was really pleased with him. She just advised to continue metacam for a few days to make sure he's comfy, to avoid a spiral of pain/anxiousness/not eating/gas/pain/anxiousness/not eating... which seemed sensible. He was loads better yesterday and much more himself but we've continued metacam and cisipride as a precaution.

One thing we've always found with bouts of not eating (and I hope this can help others) is to continue medicating a day or two after you think that the episode is over, just to make sure that it really has gone.

Back