• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New companion after loss of Husbun?

janban

Warren Scout
We sadly lost our eldest house bunny, Smudge after several strokes, he was over 11 years old and had become disabled and had lost his sight due to cataracts the year before :cry: His companion Coco was wonderful with him in the last year acting as his 'carer' and guiding him back safely to their 'den' when he lost his way. But during his final month, he was so poorly, I think she became stressed and developed a severe eye infection, which the vet has said is staphylococcus. She was treated and it improved. But since Smudge's loss in August, she has developed it time and time again. We think this is because she is lacking the grooming of Smudge and maybe she is having as hard a time as us adjusting to the loss of our beloved Smudge. We have been offered a dwarf lop spayed doe who needs to be re-homed due to sad circumstances, she about the same age as our female Coco (5yrs) and wondered if anyone can give advice as to how to bond these two females. I have tried to introduce her to our other two house bunnies but the female of that pair is having none of it :(.
Can anyone give me advice as to how I would start as I have limited space due to the other pair occupying the other part of the house :roll: When I bonded Smudge and Coco together she was a baby and he a very placid, gentle 6 year old so I was able to put her pen in his area and he was happy to sit with her and 'get to know her' through the pen and her being young accepted him. But I'm afraid with both being female and of an older age it may not be so quite straight forward. :?

We sadly lost our eldest house bunny, Smudge after several strokes, he was over 11 years old and had become disabled and had lost his sight due to cataracts the year before :cry: His companion Coco was wonderful with him in the last year acting as his 'carer' and guiding him back safely to their 'den' when he lost his way. But during his final month, he was so poorly, I think she became stressed and developed a severe eye infection, which the vet has said is staphylococcus. She was treated and it improved. But since Smudge's loss in August, she has developed it time and time again. We think this is because she is lacking the grooming of Smudge and maybe she is having as hard a time as us adjusting to the loss of our beloved Smudge. We have been offered a dwarf lop spayed doe who needs to be re-homed due to sad circumstances, she about the same age as our female Coco (5yrs) and wondered if anyone can give advice as to how to bond these two females. I have tried to introduce her to our other two house bunnies but the female of that pair is having none of it :(.
Can anyone give me advice as to how I would start as I have limited space due to the other pair occupying the other part of the house :roll: When I bonded Smudge and Coco together she was a baby and he a very placid, gentle 6 year old so I was able to put her pen in his area and he was happy to sit with her and 'get to know her' through the pen and her being young accepted him. But I'm afraid with both being female and of an older age it may not be so quite straight forward. :?

So sorry that lovely Coco is now left on her own :(

To be honest, my advice would be to pair her with another male. Bonding is stressful, and male/female bonding is least stressful. It sounds like she has been and possibly still is stressed and her immune system is lowered. I would take the path of least resistance and try a boy - unless you are now committed to this dwarf lop doe.

Good luck xx

So sorry that lovely Coco is now left on her own :(

To be honest, my advice would be to pair her with another male. Bonding is stressful, and male/female bonding is least stressful. It sounds like she has been and possibly still is stressed and her immune system is lowered. I would take the path of least resistance and try a boy - unless you are now committed to this dwarf lop doe.

Good luck xx

My original thought was not to bond her but to encourage her to bond with us as Smudge did for the first 6 years of his life, and having already got a male/female bonded pair (with the female of that pair being very territorial and a bit of a diva) I vowed I would only ever consider males in the future :lol:, but this little doe is so sweet looking (I'm meeting her next week to assess her temperament in person ;) ) and it is such a sad reason why her current owner has to have her adopted that I want to help her.....I'm a big softy.... so I think the meeting will determine whether she will be Coco's companion or not. But I agree with you a male would definitely have been my first choice :roll:
Going to need the luck...thank you x

Back