• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting to know my Angora's?

CharlieBee123

Young Bun
Sooooo I've had 2 rescue angora's for nearly a week and they've had a bit of a rough time so I thought I'll leave them to it for a few days and then see about getting to know them.
Well ... they're very skittish and nervous and not particularly fond of being picked up (which isn't helpful for the amount of grooming they need) they will come to the front of the hutch for food etc but when I try to touch them they run away. I've sat with them, talked to them and spent a lot of time with them while they're in the hutch but I really need to get them out and I don't want to be grabbing at them? What's the nicest way to persuade them out? I've tried a carrier with food in they weren't having it lol. The girl has just been neureted (literally the day before I picked her up) so I don't want to be grabbing her at all really. Any advice? Thanks [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A carrier and food is your best option, but it will take awhile for them to think the carrier isn't scary. I'd leave it (or a similar box) in the hutch with them and just pop food in it regularly. Once they are happily hopping in for food then you can move them.

Likewise food is the way to bunny hearts, I'd use up all their dry food ration as treats. If they'll take it from your hand great, otherwise just pop it down in the hutch and leave it. So go to the hutch over and over again, pop a piece of food down and walk away again. Repeat again, and again, and again. Don't pay them any attention when you go to the hutch. As they get used to you they'll stop backing off when you walk up, then wait close for the food, then be waiting at the door for the food to be put in. Once they are comfortable with you being near them and having your hands in the hutch you can move on to interacting with them and touching.

As they are angoras, if you haven't already, I'd think about shaving/trimming them to keep the fur short for now as building the confidence to the point of regular grooming is likely to take some time.

Thank you ☺ yeah they're booked in for a professional groom next week (which is another reason I wanna be able to get them out stress free) it'll take time but I just worry as they need grooming and attention asap x

If you ask the groomer to trim the top to normal bunny length and take a little more off around the groin that should give you some leeway to make friends and give them enough of a coat to keep them warm :)

Being neutered and moving homes etc. are a lot of changes for bunnies so I expect you'll find a few more weeks of taking things slow and you'll see quite a bit of progress.

e5b2f4f15cadb083b71acce455827c26.jpg

They got a haircut! They were brilliant settled really nicely now. I'm looking forward to finding out more about their personalities!

They look great! A lot of people keep angoras about that length to minimise grooming and make it easier for them to clean themselves so don't feel like you have to get to a stage where you are grooming 6" long fluff!

Yea it's easier for me and for them if they're kept shorter. Although it's now even harder to tell them apart ☺

Back