• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does she nip me?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We very recently, last couple of weeks, took in another bun, Dottie. She's living free range in my daughters bedroom and seems happy and relaxed.

She has shown no signs of aggression and will come over for a stroke or to be hand fed. But she has this habit of nipping me, usually on the side of my knee when I'm knelt on the floor.

It's made me a little bit afraid of her. Does anyone have any idea why she might be doing this and if there is anything I can do about it? It hasn't happened to my dd (yet) but I don't think we are treating her any differently.

Thanks x

Casper has always nipped us and we thought he was being a little aggressive until I realised (from within the safety of a very fluffy onesie :lol:) that he was actually trying to groom us and he just seems to do it with his teeth?! We now make sure we are wearing sufficiently thick clothing - he's never actually properly bitten us but we are always wary of him because of the nipping. I'd love to know if there is a way to stop it as we do tend to jump back a bit and yelp when he does it even though we really should expect it but life would be easier if he didn't do it in the first place. He's fine when I have my big fluffy onesie on as I don't feel the nips :lol:

Thanks for replying Omi. It's usually when I'm already fussing her, she will start moving towards me.

(Also, I probably should have included in my op that I know she's not keen on being picked up, so I avoid doing that, so can rule that out as a reason.)

Casper has always nipped us and we thought he was being a little aggressive until I realised (from within the safety of a very fluffy onesie :lol:) that he was actually trying to groom us and he just seems to do it with his teeth?! We now make sure we are wearing sufficiently thick clothing - he's never actually properly bitten us but we are always wary of him because of the nipping. I'd love to know if there is a way to stop it as we do tend to jump back a bit and yelp when he does it even though we really should expect it but life would be easier if he didn't do it in the first place. He's fine when I have my big fluffy onesie on as I don't feel the nips :lol:

I wonder if Dottie might be doing the same. Yeah, if you ever manage to find a way to stop them lol. I'm just always quite wary now. Perhaps when she gets a friend (after being spayed) she can groom them instead x

It might actually be over excitement, particularly if she's been a bit starved of affection previously. As she hasn't been spayed yet, I don't think I would be too concerned as long as it's not real aggression. She's also experienced a big change in her life recently.

It could also be over-enthusiastic grooming as Casco suggested.

Back