• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please- brothers fighting before neuter

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Hello,
I have 2 12-13 week old lionhead brothers, got them last week. Until yesterday they had a strong bond- grooming and snuggling, 2 happy buns. But hormones seem to have taken hold and suddenly they're hunping all the time (both humping each other alternately) and chasing in circles, there was some biting and noises yesterday (no fur or blood shed) so I have now seperated them. They are due to be neutered on Friday. What should I do? Presumably keep seperate until then.. but is it likely that the stress of the neuter will bring them together if I put them in a neutral cage or am I asking for trouble with the stitches and should I wait longer before re introducing? I just want my happy pair back! Are male male bonds difficult?

Hi there! I can understand how you want your "happy" bunnies back but they are growing up and things change. It's good you have separated them now before they injure one another. Not a good idea to put them back together straight after their neuter as a fight is the last thing you want then. Better now to wait a good couple of months, I know it sounds ages, but allow hormones to settle and then, maybe, go ahead to bond them. It needs to be in a neutral area. The easiest bonding is with a male and female and some experts reckon that once boys have fought, they will fight again. Having said that, Jack's-Jane has found 2 boys to be the easiest of bonds! These things should have been explained where you got the rabbits from.

Thank you for your help. I was led to believe two male litter mates could stay bonded from babies. I'm not sure if I intervened too soon- there was no blood or fur loss (then again that would be too late!) but i think one was biting the other whilst mounting him, hard to be sure.

So I've now bought a cage and am having them seperate- one in the previous house and one in the new cage and taking turns running around the hall and kitchen so each gets enough exercise. They are able to see and interact with each other and are doing so in a very friendly and non aggressive way so I'm hoping this can continue. Neuter Friday then 6 weeks of being seperate before reintroducing after hormones gone down I think...

I have two boys that have always been together. We had to separate them temporarily before their neuter but they have the strongest bond now :)
There are no guarantees with any bond but it can certainly be done :) I'm currently really struggling with a male/female bond... it's more about the personalities of the individual rabbits :)

Thanks Roxy, that really gives me hope, how long did you seperate them for before/after the neuter? And did you follow the rules of reintroducing in mutual ground etc after?

My two bucks fell out after being castrated. I put them back together too soon (it takes six weeks for hormones to calm down).

I was advised on here to keep them completely separate for about six weeks, no sight, smell or sound of each other.

I did this then reintroduced them in a pen in my bedroom. I also introduce two spayed does from a rescue. They all bonded really well. They have lived together happily since October 2013.

Good luck with your boys.

I also have two boys that have always been together :wave:

I'm not sure how old they are, as they were found dumped in a cardboard box, but I'm almost certain that they are litter mates. After I'd had them a while they went through a period of trying to mount each other - nothing too aggressive, so I didn't actually separate them, but it was enough to make me get them castrated without delay, and afterwards they returned to their happy, loving old selves :love:

They are the absolute best of friends now (I've had them a couple of years) - their bond is definitely as strong as my male-female pairs, so hang on in there, and good luck.

I have two boys that have always been together. We had to separate them temporarily before their neuter but they have the strongest bond now :)
There are no guarantees with any bond but it can certainly be done :) I'm currently really struggling with a male/female bond... it's more about the personalities of the individual rabbits :)

I'll be honest, I didn't completely separate them for any amount of time They were my first bunnies and I think that I got lucky. Between us we were home a lot so when we were around we had them out together and then separated them into side by side pens at bedtime or when we were out. I don't think that I would do the same now!

Logistically I can't really keep them out of sight and smell of each other as I live in a flat so for as long as they are quietly interacting through the cage bars and seeming to be happy I'll keep them in sight of each other, won't re introduce until 6 weeks after neuter though. Only question is- are they ok to go to the vets in a carrier together? I've read that even stranger bunnies can comfort each other during a car ride so was thinking they could have the car journeys and vet trips together and be kept seperate- would that make sense?

I personally wouldnt risk having them in the same carrier as if a fight does break out its difficult to stop safely while in a moving car. Not worth risking your safety x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I had the same situation, out of no where my boys started fighting two days before their neuter :( I left it four weeks and I'm taking them to a rescue/boarding place that has a bonding service on thursday so I'm really hoping they come back friends. When bonding bunnies a bit of chasing and fur pulling is fine, but to be honest in your case I think it would have escalated to a full blown fight and they'd be less likely to go back together if that happened. Be very careful with the cage bars, make sure there is a good few inches between their cages because if both stick their heads through they could hurt each other really badly, one of the rescues posted a photo of a rabbit with a bit of its nose hanging off because of a fight between bars it wasn't pretty. And i wouldn't do the carrier thing for now, there's a risk they'll fight and thats the last thing they need before a stressful vet trip

Logistically I can't really keep them out of sight and smell of each other as I live in a flat so for as long as they are quietly interacting through the cage bars and seeming to be happy I'll keep them in sight of each other, won't re introduce until 6 weeks after neuter though. Only question is- are they ok to go to the vets in a carrier together? I've read that even stranger bunnies can comfort each other during a car ride so was thinking they could have the car journeys and vet trips together and be kept seperate- would that make sense?

Hi ElsasMummy

If they were male and female I would say yes to the carrier, but I wouldn't risk it with two potentially warring boys :)

Back