• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to seperate Bunnies after female spay... need help regarding reintroduction...??

frankieb1928

Young Bun
On Friday my female rabbit Lulu had her spay operation. The actual procedure went well but unfortunately her recovery hasn't. When bringing her home Friday evening, she refused to eat anything, wouldn't drink any fluids and no stools or urination at all and was hunched in the corner and would grunt and wimper especially if anyone went near her

So we are currently having to syringe fed her every 2 hours, pain medicine twice a day plus pain medicine injection everyday at vets and also ranitidine twice a day to control the acid in her stomach and to get her gut moving. Finally today (3 days after surgery she ate one lettuce leaf).

She is bonded with a male, they have been bonded for about 6months now. Unfortunately we have had to separate them a day after Lulu's spay as the male Buddy kept chasing Lulu, playing rough and attempting to mount Lulu - so for her health and safety we had to separate them, also due to all the issues with her recovery we have had to monitor very closely.

We have divided their cage in two using a few playpen panels so they can still see, smell and touch each other but not physical get to each other.

I am wondering when it would be safe to remove the barrier between them? We did attempt it today but Buddy kept chasing Lulu and seems to be trying to get to her surgery wound. Any advise would be great on what to do? How long to wait before removing barrier?

Thank you for reading my story.

On Friday my female rabbit Lulu had her spay operation. The actual procedure went well but unfortunately her recovery hasn't. When bringing her home Friday evening, she refused to eat anything, wouldn't drink any fluids and no stools or urination at all and was hunched in the corner and would grunt and wimper especially if anyone went near her

So we are currently having to syringe fed her every 2 hours, pain medicine twice a day plus pain medicine injection everyday at vets and also ranitidine twice a day to control the acid in her stomach and to get her gut moving. Finally today (3 days after surgery she ate one lettuce leaf).

She is bonded with a male, they have been bonded for about 6months now. Unfortunately we have had to separate them a day after Lulu's spay as the male Buddy kept chasing Lulu, playing rough and attempting to mount Lulu - so for her health and safety we had to separate them, also due to all the issues with her recovery we have had to monitor very closely.

We have divided their cage in two using a few playpen panels so they can still see, smell and touch each other but not physical get to each other.

I am wondering when it would be safe to remove the barrier between them? We did attempt it today but Buddy kept chasing Lulu and seems to be trying to get to her surgery wound. Any advise would be great on what to do? How long to wait before removing barrier?

Thank you for reading my story.

Hiya Frankie :wave:

Has Lulu had her post op check up with the vet yet? Were you given Metacam to take home and give her for a few days post surgery?

I wouldn't let them together just yet. Side by side is fine for now. If she heals up OK I would review it after a week - 10 days. I think 10 days to 2 weeks would be when I would be thinking of putting them back together again. A male/female bond is usually pretty strong to withstand a separation like that.

Hope this helps :D

MightyMax: Thank you for replying to my question. Yes Lulu has been to the vets every day since her spay, as they want to see her every 24hrs to keep a close eye on her and monitor her - she was given Metacam when we left the vets (original dose was once a day but they increased that to twice a day when we went on Saturday as it ws clear she was in pain, they have also been giving her pain med injections during our appointments, he vets have been very good).

It just a case of doing all we can to keep her comfy, pain free and ensure she is getting the right nutrition.

That's about the period of time I was thinking, she should be nearly healed by then I was just concerned it would affect their bond the longer they are away from each other but equally I don't want any harm coming to Lulu.

Thank you for your advise its been a huge help ��

MightyMax: Thank you for replying to my question. Yes Lulu has been to the vets every day since her spay, as they want to see her every 24hrs to keep a close eye on her and monitor her - she was given Metacam when we left the vets (original dose was once a day but they increased that to twice a day when we went on Saturday as it ws clear she was in pain, they have also been giving her pain med injections during our appointments, he vets have been very good).

It just a case of doing all we can to keep her comfy, pain free and ensure she is getting the right nutrition.

That's about the period of time I was thinking, she should be nearly healed by then I was just concerned it would affect their bond the longer they are away from each other but equally I don't want any harm coming to Lulu.

Thank you for your advise its been a huge help ��

You're very welcome :D

You should be fine! it's splendid to hear you have such a good vet.
Between you and the vet, Lulu is in very good hands :D

Sorry to hear you have had post spay problems with your bunny. I agree with MM, please make sure she is eating normally etc and acting as normal before considering putting them together again. Don't forget, when the time comes to rebond them, find a neutral area to make it easier, and tell your male rabbit he's being a naughty boy if he still treats her roughly. Try to give them a nice big space to rebond them. Good luck.

Back