Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My hutch

Warren Scout

Despite being a late middle aged guy, my diy skill set has never really got beyond shelves, plugs and flatpack furniture. Bunnies have unleashed a new creative me, with a growing list of projects and a somewhat enlarged stock of new tools.
    So....
    Garden turning into a swamp after a weeks rain, combined with a real dislike my bunnies have for being transported from hutch to run.
    Roam free is not an option, we have a cat as well, one neighbour has 8 ferral cats and the other a rhodesian ridgeback cross that is very cross. Add to that recent fox visits and birds of prey that are in abundance around here.
    Solution, adapt the existing run to fit the hutch. Run had been assembled as panels joined by coach bolts so its quick to take down and move.

Step one

Attach panels to hutch and each other with hinges with a removable pin.

Step two

Build a new end panel.
    The cut up ground sheet stapled to the bottom of the panels was to cut down on wind and I had noticed they like to run and kick off the wire, this gives them a safer kick surface.

Step three

Test fit Pixie and Dixie. They seem to approve of an extra 13ft to explore, giving them 21ft roughly to go full pelt if they feel like it.

Step four
    That is todays project, make a new roof for the run

Night time

It all hinges against the fence

Mama Doe

Well done, that is amazing. They look really happy with all your hard work. x

Oh how awesome is that?!

Warren Scout

Step four as promised i got done today...

At least I had some company while I worked.

Nearly done.

Complete. Roof is in 4 section which just lift off, but can't move sideways as I have put blocks down the edge. It is cat proof and bird of prey proof but I doubt fox proof, but to be honest if they are out playing then I will be with them or very nearby. Its for dawn to dusk use not 24/7

I never realised how fast they can run, Dixie did the full 23ft in about a second

Wow lucky rabbits! Loads of space

Archie - born October 2010
    Izzy - born July 2009

Fantastic space. Looks like a very well designed set up. Quality company you have there!

Warren Scout

Thank you for the kind words. It is nice seeing them being able to run a decent distance at full speed.

I missed this thread at the time & just came across it, what a great space you've created. Love the fact that you've done it all yourself, it's not a set up you could buy off the peg!

Mama Doe

Fantastic, CC, It's amazing what a touch of 'the bunnies' can do. I think you are now a fully enrolled 'anorak'. xxx

Warren Scout

I have definitely found bunnies to be addictive. I did start a new thread the other week as I have changed the hutches position and the run layout. Just waiting for dryer weather to get them back on the grass as the run is so adaptable.
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ighlight=Pixie