• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My hutch

Despite being a late middle aged guy, my diy skill set has never really got beyond shelves, plugs and flatpack furniture. Bunnies have unleashed a new creative me, with a growing list of projects and a somewhat enlarged stock of new tools.
So....
Garden turning into a swamp after a weeks rain, combined with a real dislike my bunnies have for being transported from hutch to run.
Roam free is not an option, we have a cat as well, one neighbour has 8 ferral cats and the other a rhodesian ridgeback cross that is very cross. Add to that recent fox visits and birds of prey that are in abundance around here.
Solution, adapt the existing run to fit the hutch. Run had been assembled as panels joined by coach bolts so its quick to take down and move.

Step one
IMG_1207_zpsgmykmtru.jpg

Attach panels to hutch and each other with hinges with a removable pin.

Step two
IMG_1206_zpslhu1g7z5.jpg

Build a new end panel.
The cut up ground sheet stapled to the bottom of the panels was to cut down on wind and I had noticed they like to run and kick off the wire, this gives them a safer kick surface.

Step three
IMG_1204_zpsppkkvtlt.jpg

Test fit Pixie and Dixie. They seem to approve of an extra 13ft to explore, giving them 21ft roughly to go full pelt if they feel like it.

Step four
That is todays project, make a new roof for the run

Night time
IMG_1205_zpsfhjhzdsw.jpg

It all hinges against the fence

Step four as promised i got done today...

IMG_1209_zpsepffxu42.jpg

At least I had some company while I worked.

IMG_1210_zpsrut0nwmy.jpg

Nearly done.

IMG_1213_zpskwjyrwko.jpg

Complete. Roof is in 4 section which just lift off, but can't move sideways as I have put blocks down the edge. It is cat proof and bird of prey proof but I doubt fox proof, but to be honest if they are out playing then I will be with them or very nearby. Its for dawn to dusk use not 24/7

I never realised how fast they can run, Dixie did the full 23ft in about a second

Fantastic space. Looks like a very well designed set up. Quality company you have there!

I missed this thread at the time & just came across it, what a great space you've created. Love the fact that you've done it all yourself, it's not a set up you could buy off the peg!

Can I ask what you used in your shutters? I need to make something similar to cover part of my run - Perspex is rather expensive so I has considered cutting down a clear tarp which would also be easier to cut to size but not sure if that would work. Would be interested to know how you done it and if it has worked well.

Would you believe I used a plastic greenhouse cover from B&Q. Semi transparent, so it lets in the light but gives some privacy and it is reinforced so fairly strong. I just made a basic frame to fit the hole, stapled the plastic on and hold the panel in place with turn buttons. Greenhouse cover was only about £7 I think, they sell the full greenhouses which i was looking at and then noticed they sell replacement covers separately.

I will take some better pics tomorrow to show you they look up close. If you are using it as a roof it would need slits in it to stop puddles forming when it rains, or reinforcing behind the plastic. Speaking from experience :oops:

Last edited:
Ah that's interesting, thanks. I've got corrugated pvc panels on the roof so I'm just looking to make something I can attach to the 2 more exposed sides of the run when it's raining (pretty much all the time in Scotland :lol:)

How do your buns react to sawing? Aboleth HATES me sawing, and hides in the house. She also doesn't like me shaking a spray can, but loves a broom or plastic bag. She's impartial to the axe we have, and hammering! Lopsy doesn't really care about any sounds.

I need to knock up a roof for our pen for when we have it on the concrete now we have cats next door, and mesh the new run. The blocks on the side is a really good idea. I need something lightweight and folding for the pen roof. I don't think the cat has worked out he can jump into the lawn pen as there's bits of chicken in there that the birds are picking at but if Bandit had got in, should've disappeared by now!

My really noisy circular saw doesn't seem too bad but they hate the vacuum cleaner that I clean the wood dust up with. If i am sweeping inside their hutch Dixie likes messing with the brush and seems to find the hay leftovers the latest must have snack.

Anyway
IMG_0558_zps5s4kdjfx.jpg

Just a basic frame with corner piece stapled on, plus the obligatory waterproof glue.

IMG_0559_zpsmhy8dofp.jpg

Plastic stapled on the back, bunnies can't get at it so I wasn't fussed about bout the finished product.

The plastic round the run base by the way is tent groundsheet as they are dead cheap and huge

my diy skill set has never really got beyond shelves, plugs and flatpack furniture.

Flatpack furniture provides good anger management training.

Your DIY skills put mine to shame. I would call your work inspirational, but I am only inspired to admire.

Last edited:
7 months ago my diy skills were limited to ikea furniture, shelves and plugs.
In the past month I have tiled the kitchen, fitted a new hob, changed tyres on my car...myself, rebuilt back brakes, new engine mount, sorted out dodgy car electrics. Funny what you can do with a bit of helpful advice.

Back