Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My hutch

Wise Old Thumper Barn Yard Bunnies's Avatar

Wow looking great.

Warren Scout

This is great - can you still get out of your house? Fantastic run for them.

Can I ask what you used in your shutters? I need to make something similar to cover part of my run - Perspex is rather expensive so I has considered cutting down a clear tarp which would also be easier to cut to size but not sure if that would work. Would be interested to know how you done it and if it has worked well.

Warren Scout

Would you believe I used a plastic greenhouse cover from B&Q. Semi transparent, so it lets in the light but gives some privacy and it is reinforced so fairly strong. I just made a basic frame to fit the hole, stapled the plastic on and hold the panel in place with turn buttons. Greenhouse cover was only about 7 I think, they sell the full greenhouses which i was looking at and then noticed they sell replacement covers separately.

Warren Scout

I will take some better pics tomorrow to show you they look up close. If you are using it as a roof it would need slits in it to stop puddles forming when it rains, or reinforcing behind the plastic. Speaking from experience
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 14-02-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Ah that's interesting, thanks. I've got corrugated pvc panels on the roof so I'm just looking to make something I can attach to the 2 more exposed sides of the run when it's raining (pretty much all the time in Scotland )

How do your buns react to sawing? Aboleth HATES me sawing, and hides in the house. She also doesn't like me shaking a spray can, but loves a broom or plastic bag. She's impartial to the axe we have, and hammering! Lopsy doesn't really care about any sounds.

I need to knock up a roof for our pen for when we have it on the concrete now we have cats next door, and mesh the new run. The blocks on the side is a really good idea. I need something lightweight and folding for the pen roof. I don't think the cat has worked out he can jump into the lawn pen as there's bits of chicken in there that the birds are picking at but if Bandit had got in, should've disappeared by now!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Scout

My really noisy circular saw doesn't seem too bad but they hate the vacuum cleaner that I clean the wood dust up with. If i am sweeping inside their hutch Dixie likes messing with the brush and seems to find the hay leftovers the latest must have snack.

Anyway

Just a basic frame with corner piece stapled on, plus the obligatory waterproof glue.

Plastic stapled on the back, bunnies can't get at it so I wasn't fussed about bout the finished product.

The plastic round the run base by the way is tent groundsheet as they are dead cheap and huge

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyClaret View Post
    my diy skill set has never really got beyond shelves, plugs and flatpack furniture.
    Flatpack furniture provides good anger management training.

Your DIY skills put mine to shame. I would call your work inspirational, but I am only inspired to admire.
    Last edited by Calliope; 10-03-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Warren Scout

7 months ago my diy skills were limited to ikea furniture, shelves and plugs.
    In the past month I have tiled the kitchen, fitted a new hob, changed tyres on my car...myself, rebuilt back brakes, new engine mount, sorted out dodgy car electrics. Funny what you can do with a bit of helpful advice.