• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bonding trouble - VERY humpy boy :(

treacletrim

Young Bun
Hi, I just wondered if anyone had experience of bonding a very humpy boy to a doe, and the trouble it brings.

i have just separated my two buns after his excessive humping has caused problems during bonding.....

My girl Patsy was widowed back in July, and we have finally found her a new husbun at our local rescue. Our Patsy is 3, a big gorgeous lop who lacks confidence. New boy Conker is 2, a small lop who is very confident and friendly. After swapping blankets, litter trays and toys over the past 2 weeks I started bonding them yesterday using the fast track method.

It started ok with no fighting at all, but it became clear that Conker is very humpy. He humped poor Patsy the whole day and through the night. I intervened when he humped her head or went on too long. Patsy was fine initially but as time progresses got more and more upset and started showing stress and aggression. She had her tail up and was growling at him, and whimpering when he approached. Still Conker relentlessly humped her. They ended up having a small fight (no injuries) but on the advice of the rescue I separated them as it felt like it was escalating. They are now living as neighbours and I am going to try the slow/gradual approach. Up until then patsy had shown signs of interest by flopping next to Conker, and lowering her head to him. His humping just became too much and I had to intervene before the aggression got serious.

Admittedly I have lost confidence and am doubful of the bond :( can anyone offer any advice or share similar experiences on how it could work? Conker was neutered 4 months ago. We have gotten very attached to him and want to make it work but obviously have to prioritise our girl.

Thanks x[SUP][/SUP]

When was your boy neutered? When I bonded poppy and oreo I waited 2 weeks after oreo's neuter and he was so humpy. I stopped trying after a couple of hours and let them live next to each other for another 3 weeks before trying again. When I then put them together they were grooming within a couple of minutes and there was barely any humping at all!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Poor Patsy :( You can understand when enough is enough can't you :lol: I think your approach is entirely right. I would also separate and try to do it more slowly. I think that as there is really no aggression (only brought on by the humping), the bond should have a chance eventually. It's so frustrating to watch though isn't it.

Tonibun I am bonding them in our spare room, they are house buns and it's a neutral territory room. I have puppy panels set up to create a small enclosure. I was so lucky bonding Patsy with her bridge husbun Fred, it was so straight forward and quick. These 2 need an entirely different approach though. The rescue have suggested I try a slightly larger space with boxes / tunnels as a distraction. Fingers crossed it works, its all so stressful :/

That's good the room is neutral. I always use a big area so the female can get away from the male. Good luck!

This made me laugh. Sorry, probably not helpful!

The rspca Manchester have a slow bonding method on their website. Might help x

Eta: thought I'd quoted the nickname/ten cold shower post! X

Conker the Bonker :lol::lol::lol: Love it!!!! If it's any consolation, Benji humped Flora relentlessly when I first started bonding them. I had a week off work and for the first 3 days, it was just hump, hump, hump. He'd been neutered for a couple of months. Fortunately, Flora just let him do it BUT, and this is where it gets a bit 'icky', I spent 3 days to a week placing my hand underneath him every time he humped her. Therefore, he was actually humping my hand and not touching Flora. I've never felt so violated :lol:. But doing this meant that she accepted him doing it and he got it out of his system within a week.

Back