• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Miximitosis

Hayleyash

New Kit
Can anyone tell me if a rabbit is showing signs of this - in that their eyes are slightly swollen and emitting a discharge - how long until they will go down hill and you know for sure that it is Mixi?

My friends rabbits had these signs on Wed. night, she took them to the vet Thurs morning and he said that he wasn't definite it was Mixi and prescribed antibiotics. This morning she says that they seem a bit brighter but their eyes are still swollen (although no discharge) and their genitals are swollen too (which they were yesterday).

We're hoping that they've got an eye infection although she did rabbit sit for three weeks and that rabbit has been diagnosed as 99% sure it has Mixi. They didn't share a hutch and didn't come into direct contact with each other though.

We just want to know how soon we would know for definite whether it is Mixi as it's a horrible waiting game at the moment.

Thank you.

Sorry I'd say its fairly definate. An eye infection doesn't usually effect both eyes like Myxy does. Genetal swelling is another common sign. Swollon ears are another thing to look out for.

There is some chance though, a few bunnies do pull through.

Its spread by flies/fleas so rabbits don't need to be in direct contact to catch it.

Was the bunny vaccinated?

Tamsin

Thanks for all your replies, I'm printing everything off for her. She missed their myxi jab update by a month as she was away - how bad does she feel now????

We have our fingers firmly crossed though. The thing is that they share hutches with three other rabbits who show no signs of it, we're hanging on to that little bit of hope anyway but really trying not to get our hopes up.

If she only missed their booster by a month, they may still have some immunity, which gives them a better chance of recovery.

The vaccination doesn't give 100% immunity - vaccinated rabbits can often still contract myxomatosis although it may not be as severe.

It's most often spread by the rabbit flea, although other biting insects (not usually flies) are thought to be possible vectors - I'm looking at the back of the BRC Yearbook, on which there is an advert from one of the drug companies that make myxi vaccine.... I notice even the drug company still states "fleas and possibly mosquitoes" ! (my italics). I'm pretty sure it's spread by mozzies in other countries... it might be that we don't have a type of mozzie here that bites rabbits!

Sorry to hear about your buns... it's not a nice disease at all, and it's real bad luck that yours have contracted it :cry:

I'd say that this rabbit has myxi.
Talking to my vets on tueday and he was saying he hasn't seen myxi like it is this year. It's arrived earlier in the pet rabbit than it has in other years and seems to be a stronger strain as even the vaccianted rabbits aren't pulling though.
My thoughs are with your friend. I hope the rabbit pulls through.

same with mine

my rabbit is the same a couple of days ago i noticed he had swollen eyes lids, but no other symptoms though he has had them for a couple of days they are not getting worse, what is it??

my rabbit is the same a couple of days ago i noticed he had swollen eyes lids, but no other symptoms though he has had them for a couple of days they are not getting worse, what is it??

This is an old thread, you would be better starting a new one with your question so that more people see it.

Might be worth creating your own thread in health as this is a very old thread :D

Have you also checked the rabbits genitals for swelling?

Regardless, I would take your rabbit to the vets today. Has your rabbit been inoculated against Myxomatosis?

Good luck and I really hope that your rabbit doesn't have this horrible, horrible illness xxx

I'd say that this rabbit has myxi.
Talking to my vets on tueday and he was saying he hasn't seen myxi like it is this year. It's arrived earlier in the pet rabbit than it has in other years and seems to be a stronger strain as even the vaccianted rabbits aren't pulling though.

It would be interesting to know if there is any correlation with the new combined vaccine.

I would consult a vet ASAP.

I agree with this :thumb:

This is an old thread, you would be better starting a new one with your question so that more people see it.

and this :thumb:

Back