• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New mummy of four bunnies :)

Joanne3146

Young Bun
Hello :)
I have four bunnies, Peter, Thumper, Harlequin (Harley) and Eddie

Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully getting some advice on things to ensure my boys have a happy and healthy lifestyle!!

Thank you for the warm welcome!! My first question would be identifying the breed of my rabbits! Pets at home couldn't tell me what they were which was greatly disappointing!
Any ideas would be great!! I know three are half tortoise shell but that's due to their colour!
now how to post a photo 🤔🤔

2d8db97e34313ccdd45aaea09a461236.jpg

This is Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7ae1b8ff39cf2191541ffad9918f2a5d.jpg

Last but not least, Eddie :)

I bought Peter first, a week later I bought the other three in a batch together but they're not the same age.. so not brothers, maybe Thumper and Harley are but Eddie isn't as he's much smaller

Welcome :D Your boys have very pretty markings and are lovely :love: There is loads of good advice to be found within the forum.

It looks like wood shavings that you are using there as a base? These are not really recommended as they can be bad for the rabbits' respiratory systems.

It's not clear from your photos whether you have the rabbits together? If so, be very careful that they have been correctly sexed as four males :) Perhaps when you take them to the vets for their vaccinations, you could ask the vet to sex them for you.

It is important btw to be confident that your vet is knowledgeable about rabbits as not all are.

Any questions, just ask away. There will usually be someone along to provide advice.

Hello and welcome! They are lovely rabbits but quite often Pets at Home bunnies are cross rabbits, so they are no particular breed. Their colours are a harlequin mix. Whatever their breed or colour as you must know, each rabbit needs to be loved and understood. It is not easy. Do you know the age of any of them so we can watch for certain developments, such as when hormones start to kick in and when their testicles emerge. Have you got them all together? Newspaper is a healthier bedding rather than shavings but there are other more expensive ones available.

While at the shop all the boys are together but they are always under 14 weeks old so shouldn't have started fighting. After 14 weeks or thereabouts they wouldn't be able to keep them together as the boys would start fighting. The assistants don't always tell customers this.

They are all gorgeous :)

They will all be cross breeds from Pets at Home, Harlequin is the colour of 3 of them :)

What a lovely group of boys (hopefully boys)!

I have four rabbits all living together. Two were impulse buys from the local pet shop. I then had to get them vaccinated and neutered. Very expensive but worth it to keep those hormones at bay.

Next I got two does from a rescue up in Yorkshire (barc). They were already spayed and vaccinated and bonded which saved a LOT of hassle and money.

I eventually bonded them all together (not before the bucks had fought, due to me putting them back together too soon after their castrations, live and learn).

I hope you have a lot of fun with your lovely four. Mine live in a shed with 32l underbed storage boxes as litter trays with newspaper straw and hay. Works really well to contain their wee. There is the odd stray poo ...

Thanks everyone!! The photos of them are random as they're the photos I took when I bought them, that's the pets at home hutch, they all live together in our house we are keeping them as indoor rabbits, we have had them since 20th sept and two have been neutered so far, thumper's bits are too small to be done, I took him in to check them and the vet said they're like baked beans so too small, we have had them in a double cage and they've been great together up until last week, they started scrapping so we separated the cages and used our spare third cage (we keep it in case we have to separate at any point). We assumed this was due to them getting bigger and the space wasn't sufficient so we are building a unit in our alcove for them
46f7edfdd400b210622c40e3a4fbad9d.jpg

aadac743a6c90386622e800c2c8b9f80.jpg

Which should be more than enough space for them :) we are creating ramps so they can go up and down freely and will make it so that we can section them off if we need to! I'm intrigued about the bedding now as we were told the bedding was the right one for them... they poo loads so we change it every day even though it recommended for weekly I can't have them sitting in all that poo! Hopefully it will be finished by the weekend and they can go into their new home as I don't like them in the cages the way they are at the moment.
They are approx 16-18 weeks I think now.. it's hard because pets at home gave us no information on their ages :(
It seems harlequin was a very fitting name for them!
Any ideas on what breed Peter is? He is more slender than the others and his hair is shorter..
really looking forward to tips on their new home! We have bought vinyl tiles for the bottom and sides and pet friendly paint for the unit itself :)

So when they're all neutered will they still be okay together??

It's impossible to answer this question as they may fall out when they get older, even if they are neutered. Sorry! A male/female pairing works the best (both neutered).

Wood shavings can cause respiratory problems such as Snuffles, which is possibly why some Pets at Home rabbits have/get this disease. Newspaper topped up with hay is a favourite - where will you put their litter trays to hopefully get them litter trained?

Back