• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for preventing hutch chewing?

demi123

New Kit
Both my lionheads have chewed their previous hutches but I have bonded them and they moved into their new home (converted playhouse) at the weekend. To try and prevent chewing I have put in lots of toys and other things to chew but when I went out the morning after putting them in they had chewed it a lot and no matter what I try they seem to love chewing the cage too much to stop. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is house number four in just over a year :shock:

Last edited:
My buns all love to chew wood, they even chew when out running free in the garden. I give them things made of wood to try to get them to that instead of inappropriate things but sometimes it doesnt work. Some buns chew the hutch if they want more running room, do they have a run attached to the playhouse at present. Normally they chew at night because that is the most active time for them, and if they are wanting out could be chewing for that reason. Sorry i havent got any useful ideas. xxx

They don't have one attached but they do have a separate run I put them in regularly. Not the best way I know but there are a lot of cats where I live so I'm worried about having them in a run when I'm not there. I'm going to look into finding out if I can get one that is safe from the cats though.

Do your rabbits have a good amount of hay to chew? Also, what a lot of people do when they have a playhouse, is attach an aviary type enclosure with a catflap into the playhouse. The rabbits would be safe then from the cats. If the playhouse is a 4 x 4 size, this isn't really big enough to keep them in for long periods, although a 5 x 4 would be better. Are the bunnies neutered?

I think most bunnies chew out of boredom, and / or craving fibre. Our first bunnies chewed their house to pieces (a rubbish chicken coop - before I knew better) and that stopped instantly when they were upgraded to Wendy house and run and given a mainly high quality hay diet.

I had a boarding client really worrying when she dropped her buns off for the first time that they were going to destroy the boarding suites as they chewed through hutches at home, there wasn't a mark on it when they left but they started nibbling back on their hutch within half an hour of being home. They lived in a 5fthutch and are put in the run in the day. They are two young active bunnies and are clearly bored.

Have a look at runaround site, they have loads of inspiration for setting up a run system:)

They always have an unlimited amount of hay and they are both neutered. I'm definitely going to get a run attached so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Are they both boys? There is usually an answer to these problems - it's just understanding the rabbits involved so we know what to do.

I have a girl (a year and a half) and a boy (seven months) and the boy chews a lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get metal edging that are used for plastering over from places like b and q. May help.

My shed is lined with plywood to prevent them having edges to get their teethies into. Works well.

My 2 newbies have ignored all the chew toys we tried. Seagrass thing that looked like a shelter with 2 doorways is now reduced to just its roof, large appletree branch is getting gnawed at the most...never realised rabbits were so like beavers, wouldnt catch me trying to chew a tree.

I found that unless they get enough exercise & have things to do..they get bored & start projects...lol! Like chewing everything....I know stuff herbal tea boxes with forages bits and pieces and their dinner nuggets , pierce holes in them and they spend ages pushing the around or throwing them in the air until something falls out....maybe try something like that m might keep them busier longer.... I also find that adding handfuls of fresh hay in the evening before bed with some branches keeps them busy.

Try some different types of hay (excel herbage is a good one) and see if you can get some apple branches, my rabbits much prefer chewing on these

Back