• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What breed is this?

Just had a quick look, I'm not to sure but I pretty sure someone here will be able to give you an answer............... very cute bunster though :D

I'm no expert by any mean's on breed's/colour's. But from first impression's I would say she's too big to be a Neatherland????!!!!!

Her marking's look a bit Himalayanish???!!!

Louise

:wave: Nearest I can get to Hi-5 Bexy!

Medium Siamese Sable.... as opposed to Light (much paler with more contrast) or dark (darker with less contrast). A biggish doe, which is why she may have been described as "brood".... but you need the bigger girls to give you the best litters.

You are right comparing her to a Himalayan... all the Sable, Siamese, Seal Point and Himalayan genes are on the same genetic locus - C - slong with Albino. They are partial albinos, but of a type called "acromelanic" meanindg "colour on the points".

Albinos lack a certain enzyme, called Tyrosin, which allows normal colour to develp in the hairs. Acromelanic genes - Sables, Himalayan etc. - have a strange type of tyrosin which is temperature controlled... meaning, colour can only dvelop in the colder parts of the body, usually the nose, ears, feet and tail.

Himalayans have the strictest controlled tyrosin. No colour except on the points!!!!

Sables and especially Seals (very very dark almost black but for a slight brown shading on the flanks & belly) have a more easy-going version of the gene which allows colour to spread and make those lovely shades on the body.

By the way - all Sables, Seals and Himalayans are black!!! Those gorgeous brown shades are all the product of what the different genes are doing to the black..... rather like the way you can sometimes make some interesting and unexpected colours when you start swirling the brush around in your paintbox... many black pigments are composed of intense mixes of other colours, giving you some delicate surprises in watercolour dilutions!

great reply pendragon, that is really interesting. I have a dark siamese sable bunny and ive always wondered what her parents were.
She is on the left in the picture but she has gone much darker at the points and lighter in the middle now due to the sun i think.
cool information.

dutch dwarf lop or netherland dwarf ?

im confused ... when i bought mubby he was descibed as a dutch dwarf lop.....

whats the differnce with a netherland dwarf ?

mubby014small.jpg

You have muddled up about 3 different breeds there :D I think Mubby is a dwarf lop, which as rabbits go is actually a medium sized breed. A dutch looks like this....

rabbit_928.jpg

A netherland dwarf is a tiny rabbit with upright ears

rabbit_985.jpg

Tam

well i knew he was a rabbit :D !!!

i must sound like an awful mummy with all these questions!! but ive really been trying hard looking stuff up and buying books and stuff :oops: :? im trying!!! :D

:lol: I wish more people were like you!!! If more rabbit owners made the effort and did a bit of research, probably less would end up in rescues!!

awww thanks , ive bought 4 books , each stating different things!! lol its not easy really! :?

but hes a happy lil thing ( ive been reading into behaviors! ) :lol:

just wanted to iron out a few things now that hes settled... :D

Back