• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY plastic hutch floor

sophiebssn

Young Bun
Apologies if this has already been covered! I am buying an outdoor hutch, but the floors are wooden and I would like to add some more wee protection! Can anyone advise on how I can put in a plastic layer/flooring on top of the wood, i.e. How best to do this, and what plastic to use (and where to buy!)
Thank you 😊
Sophie

The pound shop sells vinyl tiles with a self adhesive backing.
I've used them to do Robins floor as it was metal and cold before

You could buy an off cut of lino - this is what I use in my shed. I cut it slightly big then attached wooden batons around the edge to secure the lino in place and to stop bunnies getting to the edge of the lino, also makes it nice and easy to replace when required.

I used self adhesive vinyl tiles to protect the wooden floor in my playhouse and they seem work brilliantly. They were cheap to buy and so easy to stick in, I used a Stanley knife to trim them where they were too big but even this was fairly easy. The rabbits slid a bit at first with the sawdust being on top of the tiles but after a few minutes they got the hang of it and now run all over like the crazy bunnies they are. They've only been in a few days so I haven't cleaned it yet but it seems like it's going to be so easy which is another advantage.

I would recommend non slip lino - go to a place where you can touch it and feel how textured and grippy it is before buying. Most places will have offcuts for cheap! I've used the tiles from the pound shop before and they were okay as a stop-gap but I found that once they got wet they lost their stick, and started to come off, and they don't have good grip.

Some people paint the wood inside with cuprinol shades paints and this helps to protect the wood, but I haven't tried it myself.

I used lino, all domestic lino is apparently classed as non-slip, the wood i had already stained with a good preservative. Cut it to shape and panel pinned battons around the edges. So far so good, any misses around the little tray have been dead easy to clean up and no nasty niffs yet.

Last edited:
Back