• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Eating!

shivbo2014

Young Bun
Hi! Help please! Prince has been here since Saturday he seems to be settling really well happy and relaxed bit of thumping but I'm assuming he's getting used to new sounds? But he doesn't seem to be eating much hay only a tiny nibble while pooping and they are smallish black poops and not that many. When I give him his pellets and salad he goes crazy for it like he's been starving waiting for it! The lady from the RSPCA didn't seem to know much about what he had been eating as he was with a fosterer. He only had a bowl of pellets in his cage when I picked him up.

I'm a bit concerned as obviously I don't want to give him extra pellets and salad but don't want him to go into stasis. Any ideas on how to get him eating more hay? Never had an issue with Miffy as she is always so excited to get her hay! Thanks x

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Have you tried different kinds of hay to see if he is just fussy. My buns wont eat the timothy from hay for pets but love the timothy from other places. Sometimes they can just be fussy bums. xx The hiding the pellets is a good idea. xx

Thanks I'll definitely try the pellets. I do add dried forage to it he's not overly interested! I'll try and get some Alfalfa King Timothy Hay today as that's always a fave of Miffy's xx

Very gradually reduce his pellets down to the generally recommended eggcupful, as he obviously won't eat hay if his tum is already full. Not sure what you mean by salad?

He only has half an egg cup full of pellets with me but not sure what he was having previously. Sorry by salad i just mean his kale, parsley and rocket x

When my bun did eat much hay I sprayed it with pure apple juice, she tucked in pretty quickly. I then reduced the amount of spray until she was tucking into the hay with nothing on it. Keep trying different thing as I'm sure something will work in the end. Have you tried readigrass or dried herbs scattered on the hay or even good old normal grass too, most buns go crazy for it. Good luck let us know how you get on. :wave:

It can take them a while to get into a good hay eating habit so don't worry. You don't give him treats with seeds in them do you - I ask this as on one of the photos there is a stick with something like seeds on it, more like you would give to a bird. It has taken some rabbits 3 months to really get used to eating hay, so don't starve him too much of the pellets as that is probably what he is used to. His small poos are probably a reaction to the stress of him moving - he doesn't know you are a lovely caring person who has his best interests at heart. Moving is a very stressful thing for bunnies.

I wonder whether you reduced his pellets too drastically and too quickly? If he had a bowl of pellets in his cage and you have cut him down to half an eggcupful between Saturday and now, it could well upset his digestive system and also upset him 'emotionally' as he's already trying to get used to a new home. Half an eggcupful, anyway, sounds a very small amount unless you are very careful with his diet.

It can take them a while to get into a good hay eating habit so don't worry. You don't give him treats with seeds in them do you - I ask this as on one of the photos there is a stick with something like seeds on it, more like you would give to a bird. It has taken some rabbits 3 months to really get used to eating hay, so don't starve him too much of the pellets as that is probably what he is used to. His small poos are probably a reaction to the stress of him moving - he doesn't know you are a lovely caring person who has his best interests at heart. Moving is a very stressful thing for bunnies.
It was one of these he was having. Thought I'd get him a little treat after the stress of moving home. Do you think they're ok?x
37410cb2ad7a25d5835fcd897097a8b3.jpg

I wonder whether you reduced his pellets too drastically and too quickly? If he had a bowl of pellets in his cage and you have cut him down to half an eggcupful between Saturday and now, it could well upset his digestive system and also upset him 'emotionally' as he's already trying to get used to a new home. Half an eggcupful, anyway, sounds a very small amount unless you are very careful with his diet.
He does get half an egg cup in the morning and then again in the evening? As I didn't really know exactly what he's been having I just put him on the same diet as Miffy.

I've just got home and there are around 40 poops (yes I've pretty much sat here counting them lol) they are a better size still a bit dark so hoping it is just a bit of stress. They're all in the litter box so he has been having a munch. My partner is bringing back the other hay so I'll try him on that as well. Thanks xx

It was one of these he was having. Thought I'd get him a little treat after the stress of moving home. Do you think they're ok?x
37410cb2ad7a25d5835fcd897097a8b3.jpg

I have just googled this and there are no seeds in it! Fats and oils it says but it consists of mainly cereals. It does warn not to overfeed, maybe because they have honey in them.

He does get half an egg cup in the morning and then again in the evening? As I didn't really know exactly what he's been having I just put him on the same diet as Miffy.

Sorry, thought you meant half eggcup in total. Even so, do you think perhaps you've cut down too quickly from what he was used to?
As for treats - I think that all these shop bought are packed with sugar in some form, so I never buy them. What about buying dried plantain etc instead.

I have noticed that all 3 of my buns have uped their hay intake now the temerature has dropped x

Well I think all is well with him now. He's having a munch on his new and old hay (typical) and his poos are bigger and starting to look a bit golden! Thanks for the replies x

Back