• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit is a goat!??????

Sammysdct

Young Bun
Hiya, sorry its been a while, kids & Lolly Hop are just keeping me so busy at the moment. Lolly Hop being our much adored house bunny.
We strongly suspect she is an English Lop cross, as she just doesn't seem to stop growing and now is bigger than the average cat at the ripe old age of 7 months.

I'm a bit worried about Lolly Hop's eating habits. She seems to be a goat, as in will eat anything she takes a like to. Some of her menu has consisted of:

Crayons, pencils, paper,
A nearly 70 year old copy of Winnie the Pooh Poetry Book, "When we were very young".:cry:
Various wires,
Ocassional try at carpet if kids spill juice on it.
Crisps, biscuits, sweets, coco pops etc...
She chewed up a box, including the polystyrene inside, which she then proceeded to try and eat. :shock:
I once left the bin lid open only to find her inside it, happily munching on a FISH FINGER.
She has stolen various things off the kids plate when eating, including Pizza and Chicken nuggets.

Please note I do NOT deliberately feed her these things.
Mostly if it's is the kids aren't careful and I don't know about it. E.g. they spill their cereal and don't tell me. Boy is that rabbit FAST if there's food involved.
We shut Lolly Hop away at dinner time now, though I have forgotten once or twice, hence the chicken nugget.
I am VERY carful to keep the bin closed since the fish finger incident.

She has lots of stimulation being free range & has lots of toys, from mobiles & chew tubes to forage boxes. She still does her training, every evening. It doesn't seem to have done her any harm, she eats plenty of hay and her poops are fine. I try to keep her at a good weight, by cutting out her pellet portion all together if she does manage to 'raid' some food.

I just wondered how worried I need to be long term and if anyone else has to remind their rabbit that they are not meat eaters they are VEGETARIAN?

Lol. you know that rabbits are opportunistic carnivores? :D They can digest meat, and eat it if they feel they need it, or other circumstances, like a dead kit in the nest make it a necessity to avoid predators.

So, you sure read a lot about how to make rooms bunnyproof, right?

Well, I did not. All plinth got reduced to splinters, PVC and wood alike, my Black Fury almost succeded twice in killing me by removing insulation from power cords, USB cables and the air house of my airbrush were much prettier as a heap of short pieces, then she started a tunnel, straight into a wall until bricks stopped her...

Last edited:
I know i shouldnt laugh but a really did laugh out load when i read this. Obviously you are keeping an extra close eye on her poo output with knowing she is a moving dustbin, thats the most important thing. I dont know what to suggest apart from what you are doing like telling the kids to be careful, eating while she isnt in the room, things like that. I dont know how old your kids are but i had to scare my kids to stop them feeding the dogs left over food. I told them they will get diabetes and die if they kept on doing it. Obviously this wouldnt be suitable with small kids. I would just be worried about her getting a blockage.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I just read this amidst laughs to my dad who has asked me to let you know we also have a hopping dustbin albeit not as bad as yours [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Robin got hold of a chicken flavoured dog biscuit , I was having kittens and feeling his tummy all that night but he was fine .

Haha yes I have one similar! She'll go for anything that she can see - if you leave an empty plate sitting on the sofa she's up there licking it, same with wrappers etc. Difficult to make sure kids move everything out her way once they're finished with it, or stopping them dropping crumbs or bits of food! The kids have been well warned and are mostly good at watching her but she moves really fast when she wants to :lol:

I've caught multiple rabbits eating cat food in the past. :roll: Mum also noticed one eat a guinea pig poop - they never interacted; one just found it! Though we no longer have piggies... :( Rabbits are extremely opportunistic I find. Good luck with Lolly Hop - I hope you can limit her eating to the right stuff!

Back