• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Advice Please

Meg362

New Kit
Edit: We have just had our first snow here early. It's supposed to warm back up but this came out of nowhere so I can't be sure. So now I need advice urgently! Junebug is ok until I can winter proof her cage.

Hi everyone! So this winter will be my first winter owning a bunny. I have lots of questions about different things so I thought I would make a list and hope someone will be able to answer them.

• So my first question is about getting Junebugs cage ready for winter. She currently lives in an extra large dog crate with a second level. It isn't attached to anything but it is made for very large dogs. I don't have the measurements but it isn't like the ones sold in pet stores and is very large. Her cage is in our storage garage, so she's protected from the wind and snow but the garage can get very cold in the winter because there is no insulation or heat or anything. Where I live it can get very cold in the winter. (I'm in the U.S.) My idea was to get that silver bubble wrap insulation. I would either put sheets of cardboard or thin wood sheets on the outside of the cage so she can't chew the insulation. Then I would put a layer of newspaper on the bottom of her cage, then straw, then hay. She also has a fleece blanket that she lays on. Would this keep her warm enough, even if it gets to -25 degrees? Any other ideas on keeping her warm? I thought I should also mention that she tends to chew fleece. Anything soft she will chew. Her blanket is the only exception, for some reason she doesn't chew it.

• My next question is about bedding and litter in general not just in winter. She can't have any kind of fleece or mats or blankets because she chews them. She doesn't just chew it though she eats it. So right now she just lives on wood boards and has paper bedding for litter and her blanket in her bed area. Is there a better litter that is inexpensive and safe for her to eat (she nibbles her litter often) ? Is there a bedding that will be more comfortable for her but something safe for her to chew and possibly eat? Is straw safe if she eats it?

• My next question is about entertainment. During the day my whole family is either at school or work and she gets bored. I can't get her a friend as she has a social issue with other bunnies. She is a year and a half old. She was a runt and grew up with aggressive bunnies. Because she was at a seasonal farm with a "bunny exhibit" that showed bunnies in their natural habitat, she was often in the burrow and the problem was not noticed for a while and she now views other bunnies as predators. She isn't really that entertained by store bought things and because of where she grew up she likes more natural types of things. Any ideas? I thought about a digging box or a sand pit but how would I do this and since she chews and eats everything what would be safe to put in the dig box?

• My final question is about attaching her playpen to her cage. She has a playpen made from baby gates. How would I attach this to the dog crate and it be escape proof? Any ideas?

Last edited:
To answer some of your questions:

- straw is a really good insulator (and cheap), so would make a good base for keeping her warm (eg. a layer on the floor over lino or newspaper sheets)
- for a bed, I suggest a box (wood or card) stuffed with hay or straw for warmth, and raised off the ground. A small hutch with the main door off / open is ideal.
- hay is the best thing for her to eat, and is ideal for bedding and flooring as well. Straw has no nutritional value but you could put it under the hay in the bed area so she eats the hay in preference.

- it is essential that everything is dry. Cold and damp are killers for small furries. Their coat will protect them from the cold, if they have somewhere to snuggle to keep warm as well. Spot clean toilet areas daily and check everything for moisture eg bed areas where moisture can collect from breathing, etc. Obviously, the garage should be dry in the first place.

- The best thing to keep her occupied and warm during winter is a bunny friend. Has she been neutered? She may accept another neutered rabbit (boy) a couple of months after she has been neutered and the hormones have settled down.

- Having more space to run around would occupy her / them and help her keep warm. The dog crate on its own isn't big enough. I have 48" ones with a shelf as a base, and then add a run made of 4' high puppy panels clipped on to the sides with carabiners. They generally can't clear 4' high unless there is something to climb on first.

Nest box idea:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bunny-Busi...TF8&qid=1477818617&sr=8-2&keywords=rabbit+hut

Puppy panels:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rabbit-Fol...8&qid=1477818546&sr=8-4&keywords=puppy+panels

She would be much better off in a biggish hutch (much warmer) as your winters get very cold. A lot of us have underbed storage boxes which we line with paper and top up with hay. Bunnies love to sit chewing their hay and using it as a litter tray at the same time. As she is still young she might possibly accept a neutered buck for company but they would have to meet in a neutral place, somewhere she hasn't been before. A pair of rabbits sit together for warmth and that as well as a nice lot of hay helps to keep them happy. Rabbits are grazing animals so really appreciate fresh hay every day to keep them occupied.

Thank you both so much for the help. As far as her getting along with a neutered male, they had already tried that with the farm owners pet rabbit and she acted pretty much the same way as with the other females. We give her lots of attention when we are home and her and my cat play occasionally under supervision. I just need some boredom busters that are more natural than like store bought things.

I'm still looking for more people to answer some more or my questions and give me more ideas. :)

Here's a link to the main enrichment/entertainment thread on the forum, incase you haven't seen it: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?303726-Rabbit-toy-making-and-enrichment-activities

With regards to your other questions I agree with the advice already given. Straw and hay are both great insulators for rabbits, especially as they can snuggle right down in them.

I would recommend a heat pad but as she chews a lot this isn't an option unfortunately.

Sorry to bring it up again, but is she neutered? If she isn't, getting her neutered may help with bonding her to another (neutered) rabbit, and could possibly calm her down when it comes to the chewing. (Although some rabbits do just like to chew!) And whilst I'm sure you spend as much time as you can with her when you're home - what about at night and when you aren't there? A bunny companion would provide entertainment and warmth as already mentioned.

Hope I helped in some way. :)

Back