• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help

lovemypets

New Kit
Hi I'm so confused on what I can feed my two little guys, they love their hay and eat loads of it but I want to give them little treats, I was told they can't have much carrots but how much can I give them and to never give them cabbage or lettuce, what kind of veg can I give them and how much they Are 15 weeks old lion head thanks

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience with baby bunnies so I'm not 100% sure at what age you can start introducing greens but herbs tend to go down well with buns as a tasty treat and are gentle on their tummies. I think most herbs, such as basil, mint, coriander, dill sage etc are fine. Chives are a no and parsley in moderation because of the calcium. I think for some bunnies they are a bit of an acquired taste at first but once they get it they really do go mad for them!

The main thing is when you're introducing new veg, to stick to one kind and gradually increase the amount they have to prevent against tummy upset.

As said,try herbs first as they're gentle on tummy. My girls flat out refused herbs as babies so I started them on fresh greens (you can get them from local supermarket).
Carrot should be in moderation as it's like sweets. Around half a carrot each per week should be fine (mine haven't had carrot for around 4 months).

You could also try picking weeds such as dandelions and plantin provided you're happy to identify these.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You could buy a small bag of Readigrass which they will love. This hasn't any harmful ingredients and you only need to give them a small handful now and then, perhaps not every day. Hay is the most important part of their diet so you are lucky that they eat so much! I tend to stick to Spring Greens (always wash it). Mine never get carrot or apple. Blackberry leaves are ok too. Deep green cabbage is fine but as DP said start off with tiny pieces.

Hi,
Don't know how true it is as I've only had my bunnies for 2 weeks now, but I read somewhere that you are suppose to introduce veg slowly, week at a time, so one type of veg a week. I didn't know at the time but fresh grass on the lawn counts as well as it is richer than hay (it made one of my bunnies a little unwell and I had to go to the vets), but he's fine now and is only allowed on the grass bit at a time so he doesn't eat loads and get ill again until he is use to it. I've not introduced anymore veg at the moment, as he's still being introduced to fresh grass. Hope this helps.

Back