• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tree leaves

countrybumkin

Warren Scout
Autumn has hit! I've just sat out with my two singles while they had free time in the garden and leaves were falling and blowing faster than I could clear them and both buns were like hoovers with them. Am I OK to assume that the leaves will be ok as they're only getting a few?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Autumn has hit! I've just sat out with my two singles while they had free time in the garden and leaves were falling and blowing faster than I could clear them and both buns were like hoovers with them. Am I OK to assume that the leaves will be ok as they're only getting a few?

Thanks

Well no, some tree leaves are safe and others aren't just like any plant really. I would try and find out what leaves they are. You could just try to clear them all, but that would be a shame really because rabbits generally like to eat tree leaves and they are also very good for them.

Having said that I'm sure the rabbits would be perfectly OK if it's just one or two, but if it were me I would prefer to know what they were.

Most of the leaves are coming over the fence so I guess I'll just be doing a lot of sweeping

Now I let the girls eat any leaves they want in the garden. Even cherry tree and never had issues so far but I understand how some people are hesitant to allow their buns to eat these types of leaves.

Now I let the girls eat any leaves they want in the garden. Even cherry tree and never had issues so far but I understand how some people are hesitant to allow their buns to eat these types of leaves.

Yes mine eat cherry tree leaves too. I can't stop them without banning them from a run around in the fresh air.

Generally leaves falling in autumn are deciduous and pretty low on 'stuff' as the tree reabsorbs as much as it can before dropping them. I wouldn't add random leaves to their diet deliberately but I wouldn't be particularly worried about them picking them up whilst out - like you say this time of year it's not really possible to remove all leaves.

Generally leaves falling in autumn are deciduous and pretty low on 'stuff' as the tree reabsorbs as much as it can before dropping them. I wouldn't add random leaves to their diet deliberately but I wouldn't be particularly worried about them picking them up whilst out - like you say this time of year it's not really possible to remove all leaves.

Yes, that's right .. :)

Just to pop back to this thread briefly ...

I had cause to look something up, whilst finding info for someone. I came across this:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

In which Frances Harcourt Brown states that plum tree leaves and twigs are recommended as part of an adult rabbit's diet.

This area is not straight forward, obviously! :D

Not straight forward is an understatement :lol: I copied this link in esupi's recent thread about the tree in her garden https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/plants/apple-leaves.jpg/view in which FHB states that the leaves and branches of all fruit trees are enjoyed by rabbits.

What are we to do? :roll:

Well, whilst I respect FHB's better judgement, I am able to source other alternatives and so I would prefer to do that. So I will stick with not giving them leaves and branches from stoned fruit.

It's not as though the rabbits will yearn for such goodies, especially if no-one tells them what they're missing :lol:

Well, whilst I respect FHB's better judgement, I am able to source other alternatives and so I would prefer to do that. So I will stick with not giving them leaves and branches from stoned fruit.

It's not as though the rabbits will yearn for such goodies, especially if no-one tells them what they're missing :lol:

Well my neighbour one side has a plum tree and the other side has a cherry tree. :lol:
But the buns stuff their little faces full :shock:

Well my neighbour one side has a plum tree and the other side has a cherry tree. :lol:
But the buns stuff their little faces full :shock:

We have 3 plum trees, 1 greengage, 2 large Bird Cherry trees and a hedgeful of Hedge Damsons :lol: But mine don't free range, so I can control what they get to an extent. The large Oak is more of a problem as it sheds some of it's leaves into their accommodation.

What are we to do? :roll:

We are to think about where these claims that things are toxic come from. Yes, stone fruit trees produce cyanides. We learn that in school. What some forget is that it's in the stones, nowhere else, and rabbits don't eat those (I loved watching my bunnies eating cherrys and damson plums, lots of smacking and red mouths, and spitting stones..., unfortunatly I moved and have none of these trees here)

I mean, there are people claiming that apple seeds kill rabbits. Ignoring that you would have to stuff several pounds of these seeds into a rabbit at once to poison it, would be dead in that case anyway, poison or not.

We are to think about where these claims that things are toxic come from. Yes, stone fruit trees produce cyanides. We learn that in school. What some forget is that it's in the stones, nowhere else, and rabbits don't eat those (I loved watching my bunnies eating cherrys and damson plums, lots of smacking and red mouths, and spitting stones..., unfortunatly I moved and have none of these trees here)

I mean, there are people claiming that apple seeds kill rabbits. Ignoring that you would have to stuff several pounds of these seeds into a rabbit at once to poison it, would be dead in that case anyway, poison or not.

You are absolutely right that many people panic not knowing which part of the plant has the poisonous substance in it. The next problem is whether the concentration of the "pioson" is high enough to do any damage! eg Lettuces have narcotics in them but it's not possible for us to consume enough to get "stoned" on them.
When I recommend forage I've used it extensively for my own buns. I also "ask the wildies" by going to their foraging areas & noticing which plants have been eaten out of the grazing area but are found surrounding the non grazed area.

All this ive found so interesting. It does make sense that the leaves would be ok to eat. I wish some scientist would adore buns and dedicate their life to finding out what trees and plants are safe by investigating their composition and nutrient values. (Not testing on buns though, i would rather they do without). :lol: It seems trees are the most unknown of the forage foods and i for one would love to be confident about what is safe. Ive searching and searched and cant find much. xx You make a great point about what the wildies eat.

All this ive found so interesting. It does make sense that the leaves would be ok to eat. I wish some scientist would adore buns and dedicate their life to finding out what trees and plants are safe by investigating their composition and nutrient values. (Not testing on buns though, i would rather they do without). :lol: It seems trees are the most unknown of the forage foods and i for one would love to be confident about what is safe. Ive searching and searched and cant find much. xx You make a great point about what the wildies eat.

I don't know what you would accept as proof.
Both my buns have had to have the fibre component of their diet from tree leaves & twigs because of their different illnesses = eat them in very large quantities indeed for a period of 5-6 years.
Apple leaves & twigs, brambles, hawthorn is Benjie's staple, blackthorn can only be eaten after the sloes have fully ripened until leaf fall & has a strong medicial effect on the gut & gets rid of pin worms, is my personal experience.

About 3-4 years ago some of us with stasis prone buns started to give various tree leaves & found that it reduced the frequency of stasis whatever the underlying illness & put up a thread. (I can't post the link with this computer Tree:leaves should get you in) Megacolon bunsdo particularly well on certain tree leaves - bramble & raspberry.
My exotics vet Marie Kubiac, used Thumper's blackthorn leaves on a hospitalised rabbit who had been in stasis for 7 days with no response. bunny started to eat immediately. She then used various types of forage in the hospital.
Thumper's caecum didn't fill for 10 months until fresh blackthorn became available in Autumn - to our great surprise he got some limited function. 6 months later when he was on over double the max dose of domperidone I made dried blackthorn into medicinal liquid form & we reduced the domperidone by 1/2.
Offering tree leaves has also stopped many buns who were eating large amounts of cardboard. (not shredding)

Other types of tree leaves fed regularly include hazel, white/crack/ weepingwillow (Benjie eats armfulls of weeping willow twigs in Jan, Feb.) birch including silver birch.

There is a consensus of agreement that evergreen leaves eg privet, holly, & conifers should not be fed to buns as well as oak.

My experience including that of many other members is that most buns know what's good for them. Mine try a small nibble at 1st, then perhaps 1 leaf, & then go for it. Thumper was truely amazing at this as his gut function gradually diminished he changed forage to suit his needs.
The nutrient content of mature tree leaves is said to be about the same as late season grass/hay.
As Tamsin rightly says, most of the nutrients of tree leaves are reabsorbed into the falling sap before leaf fall.

I have never heard of a really sick bunny from eating tree leaves in the run.
On RU we used to stick to known safe leaves when offering them to buns.
(I hope you don't think that this is experimenting on our own buns! Thumper was a "back against the wall situation" by the end of his 1st year - oozing a disgusting stinking "tooth paste consistency" pooh & on the verge of stasis although fed a standard grass rabbit diet. In desperation I gathered an armfull of all the things traditionally fed to rabbits when I was young, & asked him to sort himself out. He did so brilliantly & lived until he was 6.
Next step was to send leaves to buns who had been in stasis for 5-7 days without response to meds. they started to eat but 1 of JJ's buns Bobbie had a rare condition ? duodenal spasm which blocked the outlet of the stomach - & went into stasis again after 2 days.
I only "went public" on here after assurance from Marie that the leaves I was using could not adversely affect a bun no matter what the underlying diagnosis.

Some of the confusion is that USA has different species of trees from us but the same name.
Some is that well meaning folk discover that eg there's a problem with eg old bark, & don't realise that leaves & twigs have no problems eg willow with salycylates & tannins confined to old bark.

Research is very difficult. We find that many buns will eat some types of tree leaf but not others, yet a different bun eats them voraciously.

Some research was done indicating that lignin (the fibre in twigs & leaves) had no effect on the adult rabbit gut motility. This is not our experience in 50 - 60 stasis prone rabbits. :?
I only know of 1 stasis prone bun on here who went for plum leaves & twigs in large amounts = Poppymoon's Eric.
Blackthorn (prunus spinosa) is a different species from plum. I don't know why they'll only eat them in the 6 weeks window after the sloes are fully ripe.

My only advice is if you're really worried about fallen leaves in the run, offer your buns something which is known to be safe - brambles are the commonest in both town & country.
I hope you enjoy this video of a baby bun actually climbing in a bramble thicket for some old leaves - note it's early spring - the new grass can cause dysbiosis at this time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zRr_EpyNE

Back