• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long would you wait? (pesticides)

William

Wise Old Thumper
Hurricane Matthew made the mosquitoes breed a lot so they've been doing aerial spraying everywhere :( I think they're really concerned about zika - the mosquitoes weren't even that bad.

How long do you think you should wait to forage? And I guess any forage should be washed really well, even later on when it's been a month or so since they sprayed?

See if there is any info put out for farmers or people growing their own food on safety. I imagine a couple of good rain showers and then wash the forage and it would probably be fine.

Thanks, I'll look that up and hopefully they'll be some strong thunderstorms soon then, it hasn't really rained in like over a week and on the one hand I want it to rain to get rid of this pesticide but on the other hand I like the nice weather :lol: So I guess hoping for quick showers then instead of gloomy on and off sprinkling.

Ugh this has been really bothersome on so many levels! This particular pesticide is banned in the EU I heard and it's been protested against in Puerto Rico but apparently it's perfectly fine to spray all over Florida and not even give us advance warning. They kept saying on the news what time they would spray whatever area and to get pets indoors and pet food bowls and stay indoors for 30+ minutes etc etc but then they spray at a time they weren't even supposed to so there was nothing that could be done!

Are they spraying malathion, William? Having come from California and grown up with the fruit fly fears during my high school days, I can understand your concern. I am still not certain if exposure to that chemical caused my breast cancer later in life. Seems like lots of members of my family who lived in the Bay Area wound up with cancer years down the road. :(

I hope you're able to find out if forage can be safely gathered after a spray. Sucks that they didn't even announce it. I can still remember hearing the helicopters coming in the middle of the night and feeling like I was living the movie Apocalypse Now! :evil: Geez, did that stuff stink the next day too. Never learned if it worked or not, either. :?

No they sprayed Naled. I suppose at least it wasn't malathion, that sounds even worse :?

My poor bunnies can't even have grass :( And this is when I would usually try and give them as much bahia grass and birch leaves and stuff like that as possible (and dry some too) since it won't be around really in the winter.

Yeah we heard the helicopters too and were like that's weird, that's got to be them but maybe they're only doing a test run?? Then come to find out like 12 hours later that they had sprayed. :evil:

It didn't even work as far as I can tell so what's the point even! They should have waited a bit and seen if the weather caused the mosquitoes to die down, it's been very dry and we even had some cold nights (record breaking even - down into the 40's). I hope they don't decide to spray every time there's a tropical storm because of the zika concerns. Pesticides aren't something you just spray every time a problem crops up. I hate that we had no choice in the matter, I don't spray pesticides in my yard so I don't want the county spraying them either!

Back