• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should Harry Get Married Now? Curbing Aggression in a Trio.

njbunnymom

Young Bun
Hi everyone...I have a lovely trio of Netherland Dwarfs that used to get along wonderfully in a cage-free, indoor home. Jiji and Grace are a bonded couple and Harry is their son. They used to get along just beautifully, but lately Jiji has been very aggressive towards his son. I've actually had to separate them for days at a time and that seems to calm things down. Jiji and Grace are a little over a year, and Harry will be one next month. They are all neutered/spayed. I was wondering if I added a new female and bonded her with Harry if that would help with the aggression. Also, can you add a different breed to the mix or should I stick with Netherlands? There is a really sweet spayed Rex at a local rescue and I was wondering if you could mix breeds together with good behavioral results.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone...I have a lovely trio of Netherland Dwarfs that used to get along wonderfully in a cage-free, indoor home. Jiji and Grace are a bonded couple and Harry is their son. They used to get along just beautifully, but lately Jiji has been very aggressive towards his son. I've actually had to separate them for days at a time and that seems to calm things down. Jiji and Grace are a little over a year, and Harry will be one next month. They are all neutered/spayed. I was wondering if I added a new female and bonded her with Harry if that would help with the aggression. Also, can you add a different breed to the mix or should I stick with Netherlands? There is a really sweet spayed Rex at a local rescue and I was wondering if you could mix breeds together with good behavioral results.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Breed does not really mater as much as the individual characters of the Rabbits when it comes to bonding. Introducing another Doe might have a positive effect on the dynamics of the trio, but it might not. For a start the two Does could prove to be a challenge. If you did get a 4th Rabbit then you'd need a Plan B if getting them all bonded into a quad failed. So you'd need to be able to accommodate 2 pairs - Jiji and Grace, Harry and the 4th Rabbit (Sally.............!! :lol:)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do x

The friction between father and son is possibly due to the son becoming mature and wanting to be dominant. The son would have to remain submissive for it to work. This problem might still exist if you were to introduce a fourth bunny. Perhaps it would be better to have 2 pairs.

Breed does not really mater as much as the individual characters of the Rabbits when it comes to bonding. Introducing another Doe might have a positive effect on the dynamics of the trio, but it might not. For a start the two Does could prove to be a challenge. If you did get a 4th Rabbit then you'd need a Plan B if getting them all bonded into a quad failed. So you'd need to be able to accommodate 2 pairs - Jiji and Grace, Harry and the 4th Rabbit (Sally.............!! :lol:)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do x

Thanks for the guidance and advice. I like the Sally idea - I didn't think of that!

The friction between father and son is possibly due to the son becoming mature and wanting to be dominant. The son would have to remain submissive for it to work. This problem might still exist if you were to introduce a fourth bunny. Perhaps it would be better to have 2 pairs.

Thanks, Toni. I thought the maturation process was all wrapped up already. They all used to snuggle up together at night on the rug and it was so cute to see. Now Harry is like the third wheel and I almost can feel that he feels all alone. I have to think long and hard about adding a fourth bunny. I didn't intend on three, but I don't want Harry to feel left out.

Back