• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

shivbo2014

Young Bun
Hi! Hoping for some more advice please, feel like I'm a bit clueless and I'm really apprehensive about bonding!

We are looking at bonding Miffy with a lovely little boy called Prince from the RSPCA. I don't think they help with the bonding process at all but they are calling me back later about him.

A couple of questions....

Would an extra large dog crate be OK for Prince until they are bonded?

They only neutral territory I have is our little utility area. I did want to keep his cage there though. Would we still be able to do first introductions there?

How long after bringing him home should we let them meet?

Generally how long can it take to bond them??

Thanks in advance x

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The X-large dog crate should be ok temporarily and it will be all right for him to be i n the utility room as boys aren't generally as territorial as the girls. I would give him a week or so to settle in and when you feel he is quite happy with no health issues, then you can go ahead with the bonding. I am not sure on Miffy's history, is she young? Once together try not to separate them as after a couple of days you should be passed the worst bit! It should take around 3 days for them to feel comfortable around each other, then their bond should grow. Try to choose a day or two when you will be around all the time so you don't have to stop/start the bonding. Loads of vibes for Miffy and her new husbun. If you need to ask more questions don't worry.

Thank you so much for the advice! So should I introduce miffy to him in his area and then keep them both there until they've become best buddies? Not put Miffy back in her own cage after a few hours?

Can they share Miffy's cage once they've bonded I was going to clean it all using simple solution or vinegar?

Miffy is 7 months old just been spayed new bun is 9 months old.

71fd520b89363b21559ad4d78ff58d39.jpg

This is Prince he is so cute!!

It is best, a lot of us feel, that once you put 2 bunnies together it's best to keep them that way. As she is only 7 months old she shouldn't be too much of a problem, so be confident and hopefully everything will go well. In a matter of days you should have 2 happy bunnies! Still be cautious about putting him in her cage as this could bring out the territorialness in her, but once they are properly bonded this won't matter then. She will allow him to go in. :love:

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately just after posting yesterday I got a knock on the door someone had killed my cat with their car. I'm completely devastated and cannot stop crying. Now im not sure if I should take on a new rabbit so soon. If it might unsettle my remaining cat even more? But this little fella looks so perfect for Miffy i feel guilty if I don't take him and give him a much needed home.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately just after posting yesterday I got a knock on the door someone had killed my cat with their car. I'm completely devastated and cannot stop crying. Now im not sure if I should take on a new rabbit so soon. If it might unsettle my remaining cat even more? But this little fella looks so perfect for Miffy i feel guilty if I don't take him and give him a much needed home.

Ohh I am so terribly sorry :(

Please give yourself a breathing space, and then do what your heart suggests.

Sending hugs xx

The X-large dog crate should be ok temporarily and it will be all right for him to be i n the utility room as boys aren't generally as territorial as the girls. I would give him a week or so to settle in and when you feel he is quite happy with no health issues, then you can go ahead with the bonding. I am not sure on Miffy's history, is she young? Once together try not to separate them as after a couple of days you should be passed the worst bit! It should take around 3 days for them to feel comfortable around each other, then their bond should grow. Try to choose a day or two when you will be around all the time so you don't have to stop/start the bonding. Loads of vibes for Miffy and her new husbun. If you need to ask more questions don't worry.
perfect suggestion.. its call love bondage :)

Gosh I am so sorry to hear about your cat. You will feel terrible for a while, maybe ask the Rescue if they would hold onto bunny and explain. So sorry xx

Thanks still feeling really rubbish but we have decided to get Prince we are collecting him Saturday. I think it will help having something else to focus on!x

Thanks still feeling really rubbish but we have decided to get Prince we are collecting him Saturday. I think it will help having something else to focus on!x

Prince really is a darling rabbit :love:

However, no way is he a Netherland Dwarf :lol:

Back