• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

....And now Marmalade has myxi :'(

Toast&Marmalade

Young Bun
Marmalade has been diagnosed with myxi today and I am devastated (she is course vaccinated). I am hoping upon hope though that she has better immunity than Toastie. She has a scabby, swollen nose, watery eyes, is doing little coughs and has a few nodules on her back and a scabby one on her 'bits'. She is however eating and pooing fine and mostly acting normally. She is on Metacam and Baytril.

I'm having to keep her in her shed (she has a snugglesafe) and of course now her and Muffin can't be next to each other (in their respective runs).

It's all been so traumatic for us both since Toastie died, I can't believe this is happening to her. She is the sweetest little girl and does not deserve any of this :'( x

Last edited:
Marmalade has been diagnosed with mxy today and I am devastated (she is course vaccinated). I am hoping upon hope though that she has better immunity than Toastie. She has a scabby, swollen nose, watery eyes, is doing little coughs and has a few nodules on her back and a scabby one on her 'bits'. She is however eating and pooing fine and mostly acting normally. She is on Metacam and Baytril.

I'm having to keep her in her shed (she has a snugglesafe) and of course now her and Muffin can't be next to each other (in their respective runs).

It's all been so traumatic for us both since Toastie died, I can't believe this is happening to her. She is the sweetest little girl and does not deserve any of this :'( x

I'm so very sorry to hear this :( Neither of you deserve this to happen. I just can't believe how much the myxi vaccine is failing rabbits at the minute x

Marmalade has been diagnosed with mxy today and I am devastated (she is course vaccinated). I am hoping upon hope though that she has better immunity than Toastie. She has a scabby, swollen nose, watery eyes, is doing little coughs and has a few nodules on her back and a scabby one on her 'bits'. She is however eating and pooing fine and mostly acting normally. She is on Metacam and Baytril.

Oh no :cry: As she is vaccinated she does at least have a chance of recovery. Is your Vet going to report the 'vaccine fail' to the VMD

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/adversereactionreporting/Product.aspx?SARType=Animal

Sending millions of vibes for her xx

Thanks Mighty Max.....and I have no idea Jack's-Jane as I couldn't stop the tears from falling when I spoke about Toastie dying and was so choked I couldn't hardly speak. I just wanted to hear what could be done to help her.

Thanks Mighty Max.....and I have no idea Jack's-Jane as I couldn't stop the tears from falling when I spoke about Toastie dying and was so choked I couldn't hardly speak. I just wanted to hear what could be done to help her.

If you feel able to I'd ask the Vet to do so. There has been a lot of Vaccinated Rabbits succumbing to Myxi this year and the more reports made the more likely something will be done about the situation. I can imagine how upset you are :cry:

You're welcome x

I can understand, I would be terribly upset, and especially after all you've been through :(

There's some info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Nod_myx/Nodular_myxo.htm

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

Sadly, lots of people on the Forum have experienced the same thing. I really wish another vaccine for Myxi would be developed, and soon.

It sounds like you and your vet are doing all you can to help her.

Hugs xx

Thanks very much, I've been scouring the net constantly since last night, but I will check those links in case I haven't seen them.

It's so upsetting, I can't bear it. Plus, it's now going to spoil all the time her and Muffin have spent next to each other trying to get them used to each other. It's been one long trauma for us both since Toastie died :( xx

Thanks very much, I've been scouring the net constantly since last night, but I will check those links in case I haven't seen them.

It's so upsetting, I can't bear it. Plus, it's now going to spoil all the time her and Muffin have spent next to each other trying to get them used to each other. It's been one long trauma for us both since Toastie died :( xx

I'm so sorry :( I can only send lots of hugs and pray that things will improve for you all, and soon xx

Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts, if they could get her better alone she'd be fine by now :) .

Well, other than holding her head in a vice there is no way she is going to accept the medicine :( . She hates being picked up even and there is no way she will keep her head still to get the syringe even up to her mouth. Even with having her on the floor, gently sitting her between my legs whilst I kneel over her doesn't work, she keeps flinching every time you get it near her mouth. I tried it on a bit of toast, but she wouldn't eat it. I tried it on her fave treats, but no, she wasn't having any of it.

I think she will also get depressed just being in the shed.....

It's like a nightmare :( ....sorry to sound so melodramatic, but it's how I feel. I found more nodules on her last night and I just feel so helpless, I just want her to be well again xx

Last edited:
Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts, if they could get her better alone she'd be fine by now :) .

Well, other than holding her head in a vice there is no way she is going to accept the medicine :( . She hates being picked up even and there is no way she will keep her head still to get the syringe even up to her mouth. Even with having her on the floor, gently sitting her between my legs whilst I kneel over her doesn't work, she keeps flinching every time you get it near her mouth. I tried it on a bit of toast, but she wouldn't eat it. I tried it on her fave treats, but no, she wasn't having any of it.

I think she will also get depressed just being in the shed.....

It's like a nightmare :( ....sorry to sound so melodramatic, but it's how I feel. I found more nodules on her last night and I just feel so helpless, I just want her to be well again xx

You are not sounding melodramatic at all, it certainly *is* a nightmare for you all and I'm so sorry :(

Sending more vibes for her to get better, and for the meds to work their magic.

I hope she relents and lets you medicate her ... poor little one x

Many thanks xx

She just gets so distressed if I keep trying and her breathing gets very fast, I'm frightened she'll collapse.

She's had some carrot tops and some black cabbage this morning, and is sitting on her snugglesafe at the moment, so at least she is nice and warm and has eaten.

(And now Muffin has taken to wanting to sit behind the shed, which is not ideal!! If you don't hear from me again it's because I've been admitted to a mental hospital!!)

Jo
Xx

Back