• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular Myxi

Great news that he is doing so well :) It is indeed a sign that the virus has done its work and the body is now moving on to the healing stage. I would say however that you're not out of the woods yet, sadly it's really common for secondary infections to hit them at this stage as their bodies get tired, and depending on where the nodules are, the breathing can actually become worse because when they scab over they become very hard and can therefore block the airways. Delilah also had one on her eyelid which started to scratch on her eye as the scab loosened and formed an ulcer on her eye.

So while it's great that he has done so well so far, please don't assume that you're through it yet. Based on my experience, I'd want to keep going with both antibiotic and anti-inflammatory pain relief for a while yet. Hopefully your vet will help give you everything they think you need. All the best :) x

Another little update; he's hopping about really well, the nodules are turning black now? Is that a good sign?
He's eating and now drinking from his bottle!! :) fingers crossed!!

Lots of love,
Zoë & Rolo

This is a good update and the nodules turning black is a good sign. He is healing and the nodules should drop off soon.

Fingers crossed for you and Rolo xx

Great news that he is doing so well :) It is indeed a sign that the virus has done its work and the body is now moving on to the healing stage. I would say however that you're not out of the woods yet, sadly it's really common for secondary infections to hit them at this stage as their bodies get tired, and depending on where the nodules are, the breathing can actually become worse because when they scab over they become very hard and can therefore block the airways. Delilah also had one on her eyelid which started to scratch on her eye as the scab loosened and formed an ulcer on her eye.

So while it's great that he has done so well so far, please don't assume that you're through it yet. Based on my experience, I'd want to keep going with both antibiotic and anti-inflammatory pain relief for a while yet. Hopefully your vet will help give you everything they think you need. All the best :) x

Having nursed a rabbit with Myx this would be my approach too. However, it's wonderful that Rolo is doing so well and sending lots of vibes that the improvement continues.

Yeah I'm not building my hopes up to him being 100% all better but he's improving!
His breathing has calmed down a hell of a lot, he's eating fine, pellets, & veg.
He's now returned back to drinking water so we're cutting down on wet veggies a lot.

His meds have finished and I wanted to see how he'd do without the meds?
Thanks for all your advice and keep it coming :)

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxxx

Yeah I'm not building my hopes up to him being 100% all better but he's improving!
His breathing has calmed down a hell of a lot, he's eating fine, pellets, & veg.
He's now returned back to drinking water so we're cutting down on wet veggies a lot.

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxxx

If that's what your vet recommends, then go with it :thumb:

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxxx

I really do urge you to heed Santa and Omi's advice and to continue the antibiotics . It is secondary bacterial infection that usually causes fatalities in cases of Myxomatosis. As Santa pointed out, the stage that Rolo is at now is the danger time for secondary bacterial infection to take hold.

In my opinion, seeing how they go without meds at this stage is very much like stepping out into a road without first looking to see if there's anything coming. You might get to the other side ok, but on the other hand you might not. And if not, it's too late to do anything about it by the time you have done so. At the very, very least I would want a vet to give him a thorough examination and listen to ensure there's nothing brewing in the chest, and to give him a good feel over to see if he's uncomfortable anywhere - although either of those could change at any time.

As I said earlier, Delilah finished painkillers after about 12 weeks. Sprungli who came down with myxi about the same time as your boy but who is vaccinated saw my vet on tues, and we are still continuing antibiotics and metacam with her for now. It's very easy to compare them to how they were a few days ago rather than to compare them to completely normal, and a vet is much better placed to give that more detailed review of how they are really feeling and doing. Continued vibes for him x

Just thought I'd keep you all updated, Rolo seems good, happy in himself, many nodules have fallen off with nice pink healed skin underneath (just hoping they don't stay bald) - I'm not really that bothered if they do if I'm honest!!

He's eating well and comes and greets us in the kitchen in a morning and sits in the living room at night! We've still kept him in the house and will do over Christmas!

I'm still taking it day by day, but he's improved a hell of a lot from what he was!!

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxx

Just thought I'd keep you all updated, Rolo seems good, happy in himself, many nodules have fallen off with nice pink healed skin underneath (just hoping they don't stay bald) - I'm not really that bothered if they do if I'm honest!!

He's eating well and comes and greets us in the kitchen in a morning and sits in the living room at night! We've still kept him in the house and will do over Christmas!

I'm still taking it day by day, but he's improved a hell of a lot from what he was!!

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxx

This is wonderful news :D Well done Rolo and Zoe xx

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxx

Hi Zoe

So glad to hear your wonderful update on Rolo! x

Back