• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you forage poll...?

Do you forage...?

• I forage, and don't feel there is an increased risk of Myxo/RHD/RHD2

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don't forage as I feel there is an increased risk of Myxo/RHD/RHD2

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other - please explain in comments

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I wanted to do a quick poll to see who forages, and if you don't if its because you worry about an increased risk of Myxo/RHD/RHD2 or other.

Yes, I forage but mainly for dandelion, cleavers, plantain and hawthorn as I can easily get that. I confess I hadn't even considered the risk of rabbit disease :oops:.

Yes I do forage.

I pick from quiet verges and the garden.

Myxo/VHD1 - given he's vaccinated, I've never worried about it but, if I knew there was disease in the wild population, is avoid the area.

I did, however, stop foraging completely pending the VHD2 vaccine. I knew hares and wildies do frequent the area and deemed the risk too great.

I have never foraged before so don't really know what I'm doing, but the fact that there are lots of wild rabbits in the area and mine are waiting for their combi vaccine has put me off trying

I forage but the buns havnt had their VHD2 yet so im being very careful about where i pick from. I mainly go for trees but that will change now autumn has come. I think as long as you are sensible eg. if you have seen buns or droppings in the area pick from high up areas like bramble leaves, you can still forage for certain things.

Never thought about risk but I don't forage anyway as I am not sure what many plants are. I know blackberry and dandelion and that is about it. I grew up in Oz so many UK plants I have had to learn.

Only in my back garden, I have purposely planted rabbit and animal friendly plants .
I've never used any weed killers or bug sprays .

I have two apple frees which my sisters rabbits have nibbled on the trunks

I forage. :) Only in trees/up high if I know there's a rabbit population nearby. I have a couple of routes which I know are rabbit-free, so there I pick whatever I identify as safe. :) I really enjoy the act of foraging, so I know that there's a huge benefit to me as well as the rabbits.

I stopped for a while, but have been a couple of times since most of the buns here have been vaccinated against VHD2. I think there is an increased risk, but I think the benefits of foraging outweigh the risk. I used to occasionally see a couple of wildies near where I forage. Haven't seen any lately, but there could be many reasons for that.

I don't forage because I don't know what has been peed on by other animals - always loads of dogs off lead, plus foxes, squirrels, lots of wildlife here etc and there are always garden maintenance companies around who could be spraying (there was a campaign in the paper to get them to stop in the next town over) plus the risk of any diseases. There's probably a bounty of things to forage aswell as we live in the countryside and if there is anything by the side of the road I think it will be polluted with car fumes etc. I can't bare it seeing people getting berries to eat from the bushes near the roads!

Same as newbabybuns, we have a lot of foxes round here and a lot of dog walkers. I wouldn't pick raspberries for me to eat at dog-wee-level, so I also wouldn't pick forage!

I forage - I do perceive it as a risk but not much higher than hay or supermarket veg. We were lucky though - my buns got vaccinated against VHD2 in January when the first few doses were imported.

I'm also a forager :) I did stop for a short while before my buns were vaccinated against VHD2 but then I reasoned, like J&B, that hay and supermarket veg isn't guaranteed to be 100% risk free. Plus by picking it myself I knew exactly where I was picking it and could choose areas that I felt were safe.

I forage because my buns prefer it to veg and it's such good value. It's free food, free toys, the lot. I feel I know more about what's been or could've been on stuff from local areas than stuff that's come from Spain, Morocco, Mexico...

Our forage comes mainly from the allotment - either my enclosed plot or some parts of the communal areas. I would not pick forage from areas where I knew there were rabbits present just in case I brought any diseases home. Emergency foraging in other areas is from rabbit-free zones and out of range of dog wee - so generally above knee height or away from path edges. I feel this is the best compromise for reducing the disease risk whilst providing a better diet.

I do forage, mainly from the garden. I do feel there is an increased risk of disease, but feel the benefits outweigh the risks. I also consider that hay, supermarket veg etc carries the same degree of risk.

Yes i do forage..particularly from bunny safe trees above human waist height.
I stopped foraging from ground/knee level last year due to the VHD2 trauma, but i have re-visited my old haunts in the last few months to gather a plethora of untouched goodies.. the ground level plants seem to have come on wonders from the lack of picking.

Both my Buns are vaccinated for Myxi, VHD1 and VHD2.. i would Much rather them experience a forage diet than not :D

Thanks everyone for your input. Its all very interesting.
I didn't stop foraging even when RHD2 was around and my girls weren't vaccinated. I could easily have walked it into the house etc so didn't feel denying them their forage would make much of a difference. I know many will see it as risky but they were fine and they loved all their forage :)

Back