• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

intermittent inappetence and depression

Just an update - for those who contributed to the thread - that Spartacus has been 100% well since his last stasis episode in December - the trick was severely restricting readigrass. I kept him inside through the winter as it made it easier to control exactly what he ate (no grass/other plants) and to monitor him. His main diet remains hay and small serving of burgess mint pellets with restricted amounts of dried and fresh herbs (as treats) or sprinkling of readigrass for variety. They will go back outside in April so will bear in mind what Thumps said re access to spring grass and limit access at first.

Thanks to you all for the support in getting a good diet sorted for them.. their excitement each time i provide fresh hay has eased my guilt re the dietary restrictions - they have adapted really well :)

wonderful update! Can't ask more than 100% :D

Well, after a month outside without incidence, Spartacus ended up at the vet today with another stasis episode:(

The meds have done the trick and he has just started eating again but he gave me more of a fright this time.. he looked very unwell after the vet visit and took longer than usual to bounce back:(

The only change i've made to their diet in past week was reintroduction of spring greens so unless it's that (clearly I will stop those now) then it must be the shifting balance of grass vs hay intake (they continue to have unlimited access to fresh hay).

There were no warning signs... no dropped caecotrophs, no behavioural changes, no difference in appetite until it hit and it seemed a little different from previous episode - he didn't hunch up but rather splayed himself out .. though clearly the outcome was the same.

Not really sure how to proceed as if grass is part of the issue that would mean restricting their freedom [they access the grass when they're released from their hutch-run complex into a larger (safe) space in the early morning and evening] .. and their quality of life..

Well, after a month outside without incidence, Spartacus ended up at the vet today with another stasis episode:(

The meds have done the trick and he has just started eating again but he gave me more of a fright this time.. he looked very unwell after the vet visit and took longer than usual to bounce back:(

The only change i've made to their diet in past week was reintroduction of spring greens so unless it's that (clearly I will stop those now) then it must be the shifting balance of grass vs hay intake (they continue to have unlimited access to fresh hay).

There were no warning signs... no dropped caecotrophs, no behavioural changes, no difference in appetite until it hit and it seemed a little different from previous episode - he didn't hunch up but rather splayed himself out .. though clearly the outcome was the same.

Not really sure how to proceed as if grass is part of the issue that would mean restricting their freedom [they access the grass when they're released from their hutch-run complex into a larger (safe) space in the early morning and evening] .. and their quality of life..

I would place a wager on the Greens being the trigger. I have known them to cause gas type problems in Rabbits with 'delicate' GI tracts. I tend not to feed greens to my 4 now and stick with a variety of fresh herbs/forages instead.

Another possibility is that he found the richness of the new growth grass a bit of a challenge. Grazing may need to be somewhat restricted at this time of year. Hope that Spartacus will now remain well after the slight 'blip' x

Hi JJ - that's really useful to know - thanks - the irony is i reintroduced greens in the hope he would eat less grass in case that was an issue for him (with his readigrass intolerance) but i'll definitely go back to just herbs (fresh and dried) as no issues with those. That would be the easiest solution as wouldn;t impact on their freedom. They had restricted access to grass the first couple of weeks (after Thumps' post about spring grass) but maybe I removed restrictions too soon .. it's all a learning curve... sigh

hi roxyroller88 - he's great now, thanks ... once he starts to eat the virtuous cycle engages and there's no looking back.. he's 100% ok this morning - running around in excitement for his pellet and hay breakfast.. it's a much happier household than yesterday :) They do keep us on our toes don't they ..:)

Hi JJ - that's really useful to know - thanks - the irony is i reintroduced greens in the hope he would eat less grass in case that was an issue for him (with his readigrass intolerance) but i'll definitely go back to just herbs (fresh and dried) as no issues with those. That would be the easiest solution as wouldn;t impact on their freedom. They had restricted access to grass the first couple of weeks (after Thumps' post about spring grass) but maybe I removed restrictions too soon .. it's all a learning curve... sigh

One which I doubt I will ever get to the end of !

I'm glad you've got over this episode, and from what you say it could well be the greens.

Can you buy a treat hay to redress the balance between more grass being eaten than hay? Ie make the hay more appealing?

I'm glad you've got over this episode, and from what you say it could well be the greens.

Can you buy a treat hay to redress the balance between more grass being eaten than hay? Ie make the hay more appealing?
hi MM - which treat hay would you recommend as most palatable based on your own bunnies ?

I have ordered some forage from galens garden to mix through the hay and offer when they have grass access but am open to trying other types of hay too.

hi MM - which treat hay would you recommend as most palatable based on your own bunnies ?

I have ordered some forage from galens garden to mix through the hay and offer when they have grass access but am open to trying other types of hay too.

It really is the bunnies' personal taste, but that doesn't help you much!

I have found the hay from timothyhay.co.uk to be excellent - both the timothy and green oat. They are stalky. Also the Alfalfa King Timothy Hay is wonderful but expensive.

I mix in various meadow hays which have lots of plants in them (Zooplus have a good selection) - they are much softer. It depends on the state of your rabbits' teeth and also their preference :D

It really is the bunnies' personal taste, but that doesn't help you much!

I have found the hay from timothyhay.co.uk to be excellent - both the timothy and green oat. They are stalky. Also the Alfalfa King Timothy Hay is wonderful but expensive.

I mix in various meadow hays which have lots of plants in them (Zooplus have a good selection) - they are much softer. It depends on the state of your rabbits' teeth and also their preference :D
thanks so much MM .. there's a lot of choice out there... i'll try them with what you suggest first and see how well it goes down .. and if it can outcompete the grass :)
thanks again.

Back