• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newspaper alternative?

countrybumkin

Warren Scout
So I added to my collection this weekend and now have four bunnies, this means I have 6 litter trays. At the moment I am lining them with newspaper and then filling them with hay and this works well. However newspaper is expensive when your using at least 12 a week! Has anyone got any suggestions for a)getting newspaper cheep or b) a paper alternative that's cheeper

Thanks is advance x

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Newsagents sometimes can give you paper or go to the local newspaper publisher. Neighbours can be helpful too.

Have you tried puppy pads? You can get a pack of 100 for about £13 at B&M. I started using them instead of hemp/hay/wood pellets/wood shavings and i find there's less smell and they're much easier to change and store without bits of bedding going everywhere. I haven't tried newspaper but I'd imagine puppy pads would soak up more urine and not smell as quickly? Money wise I'm not sure which would work out cheaper, I change the pads 2/3 times daily so that's 26-39pence per day, I've never used newspaper in litter trays so I don't know how much you'd use and how much it costs

Have you looked in Fitch?
It's £20 for approx 20kg from the makers. (Www.fitchrecycling.co.uk)

I clean the girls trays every 3 - 4 days so is quite cost effective. I also use it for the hamsters and gerbils (big cages to fill deep) and a bale lasts around 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So I added to my collection this weekend and now have four bunnies, this means I have 6 litter trays. At the moment I am lining them with newspaper and then filling them with hay and this works well. However newspaper is expensive when your using at least 12 a week! Has anyone got any suggestions for a)getting newspaper cheep or b) a paper alternative that's cheeper

Thanks is advance x

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Your place is now officially Bunnyland :wave:

I get loads of papers in the train station. That or else at the exit of supermarkets. Can you ask your neighbours to save them for you? I used to roam the street picking them out of peoples' recycling boxes :shock:

Do you have a freecycle account? It's free to sign up, I posted a wanted ad years ago and a B and B gave me their old newspapers for years. When I moved house I posted another one and an old gentleman replied and he has been supplying me for years now, I go every 6 months to collect. I've never paid for a newspaper for the rabbits :thumb:

My parents save me theirs: some few-sheet free ones, their weekly local (40ish sheets) and Sunday Express (50-60 sheets). I used to just use a few sheets and cover it with recycled paper pellets (cat litter: about £14 for a bag, lasted me 2-3 months in 2 litter trays), now I've found they prefer less pellets in their big tray so I use more paper and less pellets. I only clear out every 3-4 days as well (mine are outside).

i have 6 litter trays too and used to get people to save them for me. I changed to megazorb though because i needed to be able to put it in my gardening bin to same room in my household waste bin. It depends how deep you want the layer of megazorb really on how long it lasts. It £13 for 80L Which is a huge bag and does last me 3-4 weeks. It would last longer if i just took the soiled bit out but i chuck the lot in the green bin for quickness.

I have three litter trays between four rabbits and the neighbours give me newspapers. Newspaper, straw and hay work really well for my lot.

Back