• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which room would be best (Dog)

Sarah298

Young Bun
Hi I'm after a bit of advice really. We have 2 rescue rabbits, mum who is around 4 or 5 (she was a stray so unsure of her exact age) and daughter who is around 6 months. Currently they are house rabbits and have free range of the whole house with their food, water, hay and litter tray in the front room and they also have a hay box in the spare bedroom which is where they spend most of their time. When we are home from work they often come running downstairs and stand by the kitchen door asking to go out in the garden and they enjoy running in and out themselves.

Here's where the dog could come into it...

My partner really wants to rescue a dog he has seen, very quiet and loving. I do love animals however I'm unsure about the stress it would put on the rabbits if and when we eventually bring the dog home (I have been reading endless stories online about introducing the them) but im also concerned about how the rabbits would feel going from having run of the entire house to having their own bunny room upstairs which I would completely convert for them but also installing baby gates with mesh on the stairs to keep the dog and rabbits separate - they would have access to 2 bedrooms and the bathroom.

I'm completely torn and fully aware I will get mixed opinions on why would we want to add a dog to the family when we have rabbits. I was brought up rescuing animals and nursing injured animals etc so my heart goes out when I see them in need but like I said, I'm also very conscious of the rabbits needs and wellbeing. I would like to add the rescue centre has a policy where if it wasn't successful with the rabbits they would take the dog back.

Thanks for any advice.

What a difficult decision.
I would feel rather sorry and concerned for the rabbits, having been used to the run of the house and access to the garden (and your company), to being confined to upstairs and losing those things. Perhaps that's just me.

Babsie- thats exactly what I'm stuck with. I have just come into the kitchen and they followed to go outside! I would hate for them to feel rejected. II was just trying to think if there was a situation they could all be happy with.

Unless the dog and rabbits could be bonded. I.e. when you're home to supervise the rabbits can have run of the house with the dog I don't think it would be very fair.
I'm not sure how you'd go about introducing the two either, mainly as a rescue and you've no idea on how he/she is with prey animals.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Dapnephoebe- yeah that was the idea we had to eventually and as long as it all went well to have the three bonded and to shut the dog in the kitchen with a doggy flap to the back garden when we are out and overnight and let them all mix fully supervised when we were home and back in the front room with us.. Ive read a lot about introducing the scents of each animal first long before bringing the dog home and putting them face to face which I thought was useful and would ask the rescue centre for more advice. They are aware of the situation as well and said they would walk her past the rabbits at the centre a few times a day to see how she reacts initially.

Edit: otherwise would you suggest that idea ^? Dog with a doggy flap in the kitchen so the rabbits still feel included and not rejected and as long as the bonding goes well to let them mix when we're home?

Last edited:
Babsie- thats exactly what I'm stuck with. I have just come into the kitchen and they followed to go outside! I would hate for them to feel rejected. II was just trying to think if there was a situation they could all be happy with.

If they are used to that, can you imagine the effect it would have on them if they could no longer do it?

If they are used to that, can you imagine the effect it would have on them if they could no longer do it?

Again, exactly what I'm thinking. I think I will tell my partner no. We had the rabbits first and its not fair on them to try and introduce a dog.

We got a dog after getting rabbits . . . but only because the rabbits are outside and have their own shed and aviary.

Honestly, if they'd been indoor buns, getting a dog wouldn't have been an option at all.

Back