• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving! Stairs and bunny enclosure!

Bunny Magoo

Warren Scout
So I currently live in a flat and by bunnies have their own room and have free run of the hallway and lounge aswell when I'm at home.

We're hopefully moving to a house if all goes well. The options for the bunnies is to:

1. Give them a section of the living room (it is a BIG room ) and build them some kind of enclosure, but thinking this would have to have high sides of either mesh or perspex. Not sure how high though?

2. They have one of the bedrooms upstairs and then they could have access to downstairs in the lounge when we're at home ...However not sure how they'd cope with the stairs? There wouldn't be a risk of falling between banister spindles as there's a solid wall either side of the stairs.

What are people's initial thoughts?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of their own room and they should learn how to go up and down the stairs as long as it isn't slippy. :thumb:

My girls have their own bedroom upstairs. Makes it a lot easier in a sense of cleaning and shutting them away.

They're a mini & dwarf lop, both cope with the stairs. The only issue is when they try to race up the stairs to get the first treats, they sometimes try to take two steps at a time.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I like the idea of them still having their own room and think they would too! I'm just concerned about the stairs. I have visions of them being at the top and trying to leap down. The first time Mr Magoo went to the vets the vet didn't hold him when opening the carry case and he shot off the table, landed and broke his jaw! So a miracle he survived really!

I like the idea of them still having their own room and think they would too! I'm just concerned about the stairs. I have visions of them being at the top and trying to leap down. The first time Mr Magoo went to the vets the vet didn't hold him when opening the carry case and he shot off the table, landed and broke his jaw! So a miracle he survived really!

That's a stressful environment and he likely just panicked as it was stressful and his mind just said to run, bless him.

At home they'll be relaxed and will take their time as they won't feel panicked or rushed to get away.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

i think its a lovely idea them having their own room upstais. My buns certainly would if i was lucky enough to have that as an option. They all share the dining room but i always think its never enough. Im planning another extension for my next project (bun house extension not my house) to give the buns in the top house as much as the bottom. Bottom buns have just acquired an extra 6ft so i feel mean on the top buns now :lol: Ive seen peoples bun rooms on here and so wish my buns could have one but i would need an extra 3 bedrooms and there isnt many 6 bedroom houses (that i could afford anyway) I say go for it.

If you had them in the lounge, you could do something like this:

107.jpg

344.jpg

(From http://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/ )

Bunnies are usually fine with stairs as long as they're not slippery. It takes them a little while to get used to using them as they have longer back legs than front legs, which changes their centre of gravity. Once they've got used to using stairs, they can race up and down, no trouble.

Bunnies are usually fine with stairs as long as they're not slippery. It takes them a little while to get used to using them as they have longer back legs than front legs, which changes their centre of gravity. Once they've got used to using stairs, they can race up and down, no trouble.
Stairs are carpeted so no problems with slipping!

Just was a bit worried about the height of the enclosure not being high enough.
They do custom make every enclosure so you can have it any height and size you want.

I follow MPH on FB because I love their stuff. I'd have my bunnies inside in one of their enclosures except for that fact that my OH is allergic to hay! :lol:

Back