• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

few more nebulising questions

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Had a successful 2nd nebulising session with Bracken last night :) using just saline again in his carrier. I put a pile of grass in there with him, and after a few minutes of scratching about he settled down and looked quite chilled out.

My questions are: I am currently using saline but will start using distilled water once I locate it in the garage. The vet has given me some F10 which I am unsure about using as I have read negative things about it, however I have also heard it is harmful to humans if breathed in. So if I did use it would it be ok if I used it with a carrier? The sides have been taped up and I have been putting a blanket over the front of it.

Also the first time I did this we were in the garage, last night we did this in the kitchen which was much easier. Although my concern is that given that the nights are now colder,will it be safe to bring Bracken in a warm kitchen for 15 minutes every evening?

I also cheated with the antibiotics, and gave it to him soaked into a bit of bread. Worked a treat as I have always given my rabbits bits of toast and Bracken loves it! He is a nightmare to give meds to even with two of us doing it!

Had a successful 2nd nebulising session with Bracken last night :) using just saline again in his carrier. I put a pile of grass in there with him, and after a few minutes of scratching about he settled down and looked quite chilled out.

My questions are: I am currently using saline but will start using distilled water once I locate it in the garage. The vet has given me some F10 which I am unsure about using as I have read negative things about it, however I have also heard it is harmful to humans if breathed in. So if I did use it would it be ok if I used it with a carrier? The sides have been taped up and I have been putting a blanket over the front of it.

Also the first time I did this we were in the garage, last night we did this in the kitchen which was much easier. Although my concern is that given that the nights are now colder,will it be safe to bring Bracken in a warm kitchen for 15 minutes every evening?

I also cheated with the antibiotics, and gave it to him soaked into a bit of bread. Worked a treat as I have always given my rabbits bits of toast and Bracken loves it! He is a nightmare to give meds to even with two of us doing it!

I have not used F10 in a nebuliser so I cant offer any specific advice on that. But regarding bringing Bracken in for 15 minutes each evening to do his treatment I dont think it'd cause too much of a problem. Maybe you could turn the heating off in the Kitchen just prior to and during the time he is indoors ?

I have not used F10 in a nebuliser so I cant offer any specific advice on that. But regarding bringing Bracken in for 15 minutes each evening to do his treatment I dont think it'd cause too much of a problem. Maybe you could turn the heating off in the Kitchen just prior to and during the time he is indoors ?

Thanks Jane, good idea :)

When one of our rabbits had upper respiratory track problems Iain Cope, then at Cambridge Vets, advised using FP10 with distilled water but I can't remember the dosage.

thanks for the post. its a good idea at all

When one of our rabbits had upper respiratory track problems Iain Cope, then at Cambridge Vets, advised using FP10 with distilled water but I can't remember the dosage.

Yes my vet recommended using it with distilled water. At the moment I am going to carry on with the saline until I speak with the vet again. Bracken is being nebulised now and seems quite happy!

Back