Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Upper respiratory infection help please

  1. #1
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    284

    Default Upper respiratory infection help please

    Hi, my outdoor bunny has seen the vet today and diagnosed with URTI. I have to isolate him from the other two buns and can do this by separating part of the shed for him or would he be better off in spare bedroom with no heating on. He was totally fine last night when I put them to bed then this morning his nose and eyes were all gunked up. He's had injections and have meds to give him and take him back on Monday,just concerned if he will be warm enough outside and better in or with f he would struggle more indoors. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    11,400

    Default

    At this time of year, I would personally leave him outside but make sure he is warm and dry (especially dry since damp conditions can make respiration worse). If you bring him indoors and it gets cold all of a sudden, you will not be able to put him back outside until next Spring, which would mean either bringing them all indoors for the winter or separating them and doing a re-bond next Spring.

    Hope he makes a good recovery.


    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    23,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andie17 View Post
    Hi, my outdoor bunny has seen the vet today and diagnosed with URTI. I have to isolate him from the other two buns and can do this by separating part of the shed for him or would he be better off in spare bedroom with no heating on. He was totally fine last night when I put them to bed then this morning his nose and eyes were all gunked up. He's had injections and have meds to give him and take him back on Monday,just concerned if he will be warm enough outside and better in or with f he would struggle more indoors. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    To be honest I'm not sure why your vet has suggested that they should be split up. I have never split my rabbits up when they have had illnesses, even though sometimes those illnesses have been contagious. The rabbit who is unwell will recover much better when in the company of his/her bonded partners. A separated rabbit in my view will be stressed. Also I would not bring the poorly rabbit into the house and therefore the rabbit would be much warmer if he/she has the bonded partners to snuggle up to.

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,890

    Default

    Unless they are really too ill to stay outside or they need a lot of hands-on care, I would leave the poorly bun in its normal environment with its partner. I would make sure it was as warm, dry and comfortable as possible, though - lots of extra hay, a snugglesafe heat pad, extra covers to keep the draughts out, extra food, etc. If you do bring him in, I would probably bring his companions in as well for a couple of days. They really do much better together if at all possible. However, it is much more difficult to monitor the poorly bun's input and output unless they are separated - so you may need to spend a bit of extra time just making sure he is eating, drinking, weeing and pooing OK.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    To be honest I'm not sure why your vet has suggested that they should be split up. I have never split my rabbits up when they have had illnesses, even though sometimes those illnesses have been contagious. The rabbit who is unwell will recover much better when in the company of his/her bonded partners. A separated rabbit in my view will be stressed. Also I would not bring the poorly rabbit into the house and therefore the rabbit would be much warmer if he/she has the bonded partners to snuggle up to.

    Absolutely agree with Omi

    I would never ever split up rabbits. They will recover much better with their friends than on their own, even though receiving good medical care.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    At this time of year, I would personally leave him outside but make sure he is warm and dry (especially dry since damp conditions can make respiration worse). If you bring him indoors and it gets cold all of a sudden, you will not be able to put him back outside until next Spring, which would mean either bringing them all indoors for the winter or separating them and doing a re-bond next Spring.

    Hope he makes a good recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    To be honest I'm not sure why your vet has suggested that they should be split up. I have never split my rabbits up when they have had illnesses, even though sometimes those illnesses have been contagious. The rabbit who is unwell will recover much better when in the company of his/her bonded partners. A separated rabbit in my view will be stressed. Also I would not bring the poorly rabbit into the house and therefore the rabbit would be much warmer if he/she has the bonded partners to snuggle up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Unless they are really too ill to stay outside or they need a lot of hands-on care, I would leave the poorly bun in its normal environment with its partner. I would make sure it was as warm, dry and comfortable as possible, though - lots of extra hay, a snugglesafe heat pad, extra covers to keep the draughts out, extra food, etc. If you do bring him in, I would probably bring his companions in as well for a couple of days. They really do much better together if at all possible. However, it is much more difficult to monitor the poorly bun's input and output unless they are separated - so you may need to spend a bit of extra time just making sure he is eating, drinking, weeing and pooing OK.
    Mackers,Omi and Shimmer have given you good advice, but obviously none of us can tell you to go against specific advice given by a Vet. That would be your decision to make

    How is your Rabbit doing this morning ? Is he showing any signs of respiratory distress such as an increased respiratory rate/effort ? I hope he responds quickly to treatment and that he will make a full recovery x
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andie17 View Post
    Hi, my outdoor bunny has seen the vet today and diagnosed with URTI. I have to isolate him from the other two buns and can do this by separating part of the shed for him or would he be better off in spare bedroom with no heating on. He was totally fine last night when I put them to bed then this morning his nose and eyes were all gunked up. He's had injections and have meds to give him and take him back on Monday,just concerned if he will be warm enough outside and better in or with f he would struggle more indoors. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

    How is your bunny now Andie, and what did you decide to do?

  8. #8
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Hi everyone, thank you for all the advice, I decided to leave him with the other two as felt he would be happier with them rather than on his own and I feel if they have already been with him and if they are going to get it they will. I think that's why the vet said to isolate him so as not too infect them but I have to look at the bigger picture. He's not as snotty this morning but he sounds so congested when he breathes I could cry for him,wish he could blow his nose!!! He's had his meds and I've managed to syringe feed him a small amount of recovery as he's not eating. He's due back at vets tomorrow.
    Any idea how long this takes to show signs of improvement? Thanks again x

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andie17 View Post
    Hi everyone, thank you for all the advice, I decided to leave him with the other two as felt he would be happier with them rather than on his own and I feel if they have already been with him and if they are going to get it they will. I think that's why the vet said to isolate him so as not too infect them but I have to look at the bigger picture. He's not as snotty this morning but he sounds so congested when he breathes I could cry for him,wish he could blow his nose!!! He's had his meds and I've managed to syringe feed him a small amount of recovery as he's not eating. He's due back at vets tomorrow.
    Any idea how long this takes to show signs of improvement? Thanks again x
    That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question really. What medication has the Vet prescribed ? Did the Vet mention nebulising your Rabbit ? Could you provide a bit more specific information as to the meds your Rabbit is on ? Details should be listed on your receipt.

    I am sure that you Vet explained how it is very important to exercise extreme caution when attempting to syringe feed a Rabbit with a very congested respiratory tract. Just tiny amounts of feed at a time, administered across the mouth as opposed to straight down toward the throat.

    As your Rabbit is not eating personally I would try to speak with the Vet again today if possible. It may be necessary for your Rabbit to have some additional medication to try to keep his GI tract ticking over (assuming he is not already on prokinetics ??) Has your Rabbit passed any faeces overnight and is he drinking ?
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    44,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andie17 View Post
    Hi everyone, thank you for all the advice, I decided to leave him with the other two as felt he would be happier with them rather than on his own and I feel if they have already been with him and if they are going to get it they will. I think that's why the vet said to isolate him so as not too infect them but I have to look at the bigger picture. He's not as snotty this morning but he sounds so congested when he breathes I could cry for him,wish he could blow his nose!!! He's had his meds and I've managed to syringe feed him a small amount of recovery as he's not eating. He's due back at vets tomorrow.
    Any idea how long this takes to show signs of improvement? Thanks again x

    Aww you're welcome - it's a very worrying situation.

    I am glad you've decided to keep them together

    What meds did the vet give you for him? You could also ask about giving bisolvon - it's mucolytic which will help to thin the mucous. You mention about 'blowing his nose' - it has that effect - i.e. getting rid of the stuff out of his nose

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •