• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Edibles

excellent information!!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about grapes :roll:

im guessing mayb they are a no no.... but mubby is rather partial :roll:

Yep, Anne's right, grapes are fine but only as a treat as they are full of sugar too. I go for the seedless ones only, as I'm not sure about grape seeds. Grape seeds are small enough to cause blockages if not digested properly, so I personally don't give them. Also grapes help to rid toxins from the blood (allegedly!). You can feed them the stalks as well providing you remember to wash them and the grapes first. You can buy vine balls as rabbit toys..............somewhere on the net but I can't remember where!

excellent thanks for that and yes its always seedless I buy!! ( too lazy to spit pips out!!lol) i thought they might be bad because of the sugar content but he only gets one occasionaly!! :wink:

thanks alot :D

ok again id like your opinions as ive read many different things!!

how much should i feed my rabbit ? some sites / books say unlimeted amounts to under year old bunnys , and some say go by weight of bunny.

Mubby gets pellets mainly but he likes the " luxury food " as it was called from the petshop , the red and green and yellow crunchy stuff & seeds ! ( sorry not explaining very well!lol )

should he just get the luxury stuff as a treat ? i usually put a small corner of it in his bowl next to his pellets ??

also talking of pet shop treats.... ive bought yogurt drops and crunchy carrot biscuits... are these ok ? im guessing they are as they are made for rabbits!!

and those seed stick things that hang from the cage ? ive also seen ones like " popcorn and honey sticks" ??? but i was worried about the sugar in those!

please advise!! i dont want to have a fat unhealthy wabbit!! :D

Mubby said:
also talking of pet shop treats.... ive bought yogurt drops and crunchy carrot biscuits... are these ok ? im guessing they are as they are made for rabbits!!

and those seed stick things that hang from the cage ? ive also seen ones like " popcorn and honey sticks" ??? but i was worried about the sugar in those!

Not sure about feeding a young bunny, maybe others can help you there. There's also a link to the RWA info site on feeding here http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/feeding.htm

I personally don't give any type of sweet treats ie yoghurt drops, chocolate drops, biscuits, honey sticks, etc, even if bought from a pet shop. They are not really necessary, can make a rabbit fat, cause tooth decay, and wreak havoc on the gut system. Pet shops only sell them to make profit, they aren't a good idea at all (no matter which brand makes them!) unless used very very sparingly and only as a treat. I prefer to give my rabbits healthy treats like a blueberry, a grape, a bit strawberry or raspberry, much tastier and much healthier! And please do NOT give dried fruit, there's no point, give them fresh all the time and only small amounts occasionally. Great for using as a bribe! :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
Mubby said:

Not sure about feeding a young bunny, maybe others can help you there. There's also a link to the RWA info site on feeding here http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/feeding.htm

I personally don't give any type of sweet treats ie yoghurt drops, chocolate drops, biscuits, honey sticks, etc, even if bought from a pet shop. They are not really necessary, can make a rabbit fat, cause tooth decay, and wreak havoc on the gut system. Pet shops only sell them to make profit, they aren't a good idea at all (no matter which brand makes them!) unless used very very sparingly and only as a treat. I prefer to give my rabbits healthy treats like a blueberry, a grape, a bit strawberry or raspberry, much tastier and much healthier! And please do NOT give dried fruit, there's no point, give them fresh all the time and only small amounts occasionally. Great for using as a bribe! :lol:

thanks Lynda , nope i never give dried fruit , only fresh for my bunnykins. I think i got carriedaway and bought lots of treats!! and they just sat in the cupboard since as ive been scared to give him them!!lol

fresh fruit / veg as treats only from here on in :D :lol:

safe foods

watercress (maori food or non-maori garden weed LOL)
puha (maori food or non-maori garden weed LOL)
willow branches and leaves (not the curly leaf type) (good for teeth)
old pinecones (good for the teeth)

bunny hugger,

I have added a photo of puha in flower in my album. Yes it has a white sap like dandelion which they also like to eat:)
[/img]

I've given up on dandelions, as I have so many different varieties on my place and I can't tell them apart, yet some are supposed to be not as good as others. Now I only give my birds chickweed. With puha (sow thistle) I only give the leaf, not the stalk. I have been SO confused over foods, so thanks to the kind people who took the time to make the lists on this thread. The confusion started when I first got cavies and different sites had different lists of safe and unsafe foods. Finally I picked out the few vege/fruit that I could easily obtain fresh all year round and were on most safe lists, ie red & green sweet peppers, carrots, parsley, apple, orange, celery, alfalfa sprouts, little bits of broccolli. Then the other day I saw on a US rabbit site that parsley is bad, red clover is bad, lucerne is bad....and so on. Aaarrrgghhh!!!!! I'm just going to stick to the things on the lists here. By the way, my cavies have had parsley, lucerne chaff and hay that contains some red clover almost daily for 2 years and are both well. But it's worrying that I MAY have been feeding the wrong things. Currently Tweed the bunny is having the same as the cavies plus rabbit pellets, whereas the cavies have their own pellets. Re grass. The cavies have always had lots of fresh grass but I won't let Tweed graze or give her cut grass because of the worry of calicivirus. No myx here, but in 1997 some ****** stupid farmers illegally introduced the rabbit calicivirus in a major bio-security breach and a lot of rabbits died. My vet says there is little chance of the virus in my area now, but I don't trust the local farmers - especially after what happened in 1997. It's a horrible fatal disease that causes the blood to clot up. There is no myx in NZ and before 1979 rabbits were disease-free. There is a vaccine, but I don't have enough info about it and the possible risks yet, also my vet doesn't carry it. So no grass for Tweed, unless I grow her some in trays, which I'll do come spring. Bronie, have you vaccinated yours for RCD? Sorry about the v long post guys!!

I haven`t taken Bugzee and Shadow in to have the jab yet. But I have read that there is 3 strains of the virus and the jab only covers one!

I feed my pellets and heaps of hay, lucerne chaff and maintenance mix. I also give them parsley raw rolled oats and wheat bix They eat grass when they are outside. The closed farm is about 4km away, so thats a bit of a worry.
Different types of dandelions :?: Thats news to me. Oks thinking on it, there is the flat to the ground and the standing up on :?: mmmmm

What does chick weed look like as its good for bunnies too I have read.

bronie

ellepotter said:
According to Virginia Richardson in Rabbit Lopeadia BINDWEED is safe to feed. I feed it to my Rabbit's two/three tme's a week and I have done for the past few months with no probs.

Louise

According to Virginia Richardson MRCVS (Rabbit Nutrition book), Bindweed/Convolvulus is listed under the most poisonous plants on page 38.

Strange that she should put the same plant in different categories :? This is where the confusion comes in, so I'd play safe and not feed it to buns!

There is that one that looks like a dandelion but without the leaves having serated edges.

Picking wild stuff is confusing!

Is turnip tops ok?

Back