• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Edibles

Is it bad for my bunny to snack on dog or cat food?

Yes, it is very dangerous for a rabbit to snack on dog or cat food. These foods are designed for carnivores not for herbivores. They are high in protein and fat as well as carbohydrates in the form of grains, usually corn. Although rabbits can eat small amounts of dog or cat food and appear to be normal, there can be insidious changes that take place over time. Excessive levels of protein can lead to kidney damage; excessive levels of fat and grain-based carbohydrates can lead to obesity. However, by far the most dangerous side effect in rabbits that eat dry dog or cat food is the disturbance of the normal intestinal flora that will ultimately lead to intestinal distress and death. We have seen rabbits become seriously ill and some die within 24 hours of eating dog food due to acute intestinal disorders. Please keep all dog and cat food out of the reach of your rabbit!

REFERENCE: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=502&S=5&SourceID=43

No Chocolate for Bunnies!
Southeastern PA-DE HRS Newsletter
(reprinted with permission)
My heart was broken this past Valentine's Day holiday. What started out to be a delightful evening, resulted in the untimely deaths of three of our beloved rabbits within 36 hours.

My wonderful husband and two young sons were very proud of the beautiful roses and the 2 lb. box of very expensive chocolates they they presented me with on Valentine's evening. I opened my gift, we each had creamy, delicious piece of candy, and I placed the box of chocolates on top of our entertainment center, which is about 5 feet from the floor and went off to dinner at a nearby restaurant. After dinner, we returned hime, and eventually went to bed.

Sometime in the middle of the night we were awakened by a strange sound coming from the living room. We ran in to find the box of chocolates on the floor being devoured by our large warren of bunnies. I found all of the candy gone except for two already bitten into pieces! Within 36 hours, 3 of my bunnies were dead!

We still cannot understand how the rabbits got to the box of chocolate. Chocolate is a poison to animals! It should never be fed as a treat, or made available in any way to your rabbits! Please take extreme caution when having anything in the house that can harm your precious companions. We've learned the hard way, that even though the box was 5 feet off the floor, things happen that are beyond our control.

Please store unsafe products up, away, and behind closed doors! We are very fortunate that we did not lose any more of our bunnies.

To my bunnies... we love you!

REFERENCE: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nochocolate.html

Hi Mad Forum Folk!

Could I ask your advice please - on a recent visit to my Vets when discussing diet I was told not to feed Banana as its too high in sugars and carbohydrates for bunnies tummies - have you found any probs -

Both my bunnies love it and I only fed a small slice as an occassional treat but obviously don't want to risk upset tumms.

Cheers Mateys

Is it ok to feed occasionally a piece of dried banana chip and raisins from my Fruit & Fibre cereal?!!

Rosie loves it. I only gave her one chip and one raisin last night just in case.

Hi Bunnysam - Ohhh, don't mention the dreaded 'dried fruit' Bunnyhugger will get you !!! :wink: Only joking, however, Lynda did point out to me that dried fruit is full of sugar, and that the fresh stuff is so much tastier and healthier.

I've cut it out of Rob's diet now - he used to get dried fruit as a treat in the morning, when he had been a good boy overnight and used his litter trays (he has free run of his bedroom all night). Now I go in in the morning waving a sprig of herb i.e. parsley, basil, mint, coriander etc, and he seems to be just as happy with this.

Your bunnies are gorgeous by the way :)

Hi Lynn

Thank you for your reply. I will try to resist from now on.

Its hard when you have a tickling face sniffing around your fingers for more!

Yes they are rather sweet and I miss them so much when I am here at work in London. Billy looks a bit squashed in the picture!!

Anyone know why in that last list posted Kale and cabbage are down as safe in moderation? I have tried lots of things with my bunny and the one thing he will eat apart from carrots is kale. If i cant get that he gets cabbage but he would eat kale all day long if i left it there for him..
Whats wrong with it? Looking at that list i am going to introduce some herbs as i havent tried any of those before.

Oh and Adele... your bunny in your avatar is more fluffy than mine!!! he/she's soooo gorgeous!
Chris

HAven't a clue! However these two references may have something to do with it. Some rabbits seem to be more prone to gas, GI stasis, and sludgey bladder though, and I am presuming they may be erring on the safe side. I too give my rabbits kale and cabbage (to no ill effect so far) but when I run out of kale, I don't buy another bag for a week or so just in case I'm overloading!

Here's what I found:

Gas - What do I do ?

The culprit that causes gas problems in our bunnies is believed to exist in the diet we feed them, specifically large amounts of: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and kale. Some bunnies are susceptible to gas more than others no matter their size or breed. Completely removing such veggies from their diet is not necessary as moderation is the key. To date, the listed culprits have not been proven as the causes of gas and opinions vary widely. But it is fact that rabbits do commonly suffer from gas, and if ignored, the problem is potentially fatal. SYMPTOMS: When a rabbit suffers from gas, it is pertinent that you treat your bunny as quickly as possible. Symptoms that are most commonly presented include:
- Gurgling noises coming from your rabbit’s stomach.

- Bunny will become lethargic preferring to be left alone often sitting with her eyes partially closed.

- Significant decrease in appetite (even with her most favorite foods).

- Bunny will lay in an uncomfortable or unusual manner-partially on her side to ease the pain (most likely with the front part of her body held upright while her hind legs seem relaxed); or she may not want to lay down at all instead preferring to sit upright with a very straight posture.

- Her stomach will feel very hard, or extremely soft.

- Her temperature will be lower than normal (below 100F) WHAT TO DO:

- Check your bunny’s temperature – If it has dropped below normal, you must warm her up before her system shuts down (hypothermia). Place her on a heating pad, warm water bottle, under a heating lamp, or hold her against your body. Continue to monitor her temperature regularly (every half hour so) to make sure it does not drop further.

- Give your bunny a simethicone product orally - Commonly sold over-the-counter products include Infant’s Phazyme, or Infant’s Mylicon. Give 1/3 of a dropper (0.3ml) for smaller bunnies, or ½ dropper (0.5ml) for larger bunnies every 4-6 hours until your bunny appears to lay down in her normal manner, or she beings to eat again. A Gas relief product is a good thing to have on hand in your rabbit care emergency kit.

- Take care of her digestive tract and make sure she is hydrated – Chances are your bunny has not eaten because of the pain. We must make sure the good flora (bacteria) in her intestines are still present in her system. Give her some acidophilus twice a day during this episode, or one ml of Benebac. Pedialyte can be added to make a manageable liquid if you are using acidophilus in powder form to syringe the mixture directly into her mouth. Give as much as she will take, being careful to drop the liquid slowly into the side of her mouth. Do not squirt it into her mouth as she could breath it into her lungs.

- Apply tummy massage – Rubbing your bunny’s tummy in a gentle manner will help to ease the pain and expedite the relief.

- Watch her appetite and make sure she is eating – Even if she will only feed on fruits, it is very important that she continues to eat. Episodes can last between 2 to 12 hours, you should contact your veterinarian if symptoms persist more than one day.
REFERENCE:http://www.washingtonhouserabbitsociety.org/faq.asp?id=2

and the other reason could be high oxalate content (ie. calcium), which I'm still having a look at and will post when I find it!

Fruit should be kept to a minimal ie treats only, I give Cookie and Buggsy a tiny piece of apple a day and thats it on the fruit about the size of ummmmmmm £2.00 coin???? roughly!

Veg depends on how big they are ie my two mini babies have a ramekin dish of dry food and two spring green leaves each, a handful of leaf mix and odds and sods of herbs, so for a bigger bunny I havent got a clue lol

Kara :lol:

If used to it they can have a couple of mugs worth a day. It needs to be introduced/built up slowly though.

Tam

Thanks for the info about gas.. i didnt know about all that. I usually give mine a handfull of kale every other day but no probs so far.. will have to keep an eye on him
Chris

bunnyhuggger said:
Safe Food for Rabbits
This list is to help discern safe foods for rabbits. It is not a guide to the nutitional value of these foods.
Why not print it out so the whole family knows what give your rabbit.

NOT SAFE:

Bindweed

Safe tree and shrub leaves:

quote]

According to Virginia Richardson in Rabbit Lopeadia BINDWEED is safe to feed. I feed it to my Rabbit's two/three tme's a week and I have done for the past few months with no probs.

ANY desidious (TREE'S THAT DROP THERE LEAVE'S) tree leave's/branche's are OK to feed to Rabbit's except OAK and ELDER. Again this is quoting Virginia Richardson.

My two love Rowan and Lime.

Louise

bunnytales said:
Could I ask your advice please - on a recent visit to my Vets when discussing diet I was told not to feed Banana as its too high in sugars and carbohydrates for bunnies tummies - have you found any probs -

Cheers Mateys

I feed Banana as an ocassional treat. I'm sure it is OK if you fed it fresh and in moderation. Banana is good way to get weight on a thin bunny.

Louise

Thanks for your input Louise, this is what I mean about so many differing opinions on safe and unsafe food for buns. I'm no expert or authority on foods for rabbits, but I trawl the net for any information I can find. I copied that list from the reference address at the bottom of that particular post. There has been some debate before about bindweed, and I don't think there was any specific outcome. Some people don't even know what bindweed is or looks like anyway! :lol:

If there is any doubt about what to feed your buns, err on the safe side and stick to foods you are confident with.

Most Common Herbs Used for Rabbits
Information contributed from members of the Herbal Rabbit group. Individual acknowledgements are shown.

"Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and
learn how to handle them and pretty soon, you have a dozen." John Steinbeck

Basil
Leaves can be rubbed on insect bites to reduce itching and inflammation. Leaves can also be taken as a warming and uplifting tonic for nervous exhaustion or any cold condition. The juice with an equal quantity of honey can be used for ringworm and itching skin. An infusion (tea) of Basil combined with Wood Betony can be given immediately after birthing to prevent a retained placenta or afterbirth. Cautions- do not use essential oils externally or internally. Harvest before flowering. ~ Cheryl

"Comfrey
Highly recommended for rabbits. It is a digestive aid, helps with wool block and is used for many other things. It is an old remedy which should under no circumstances be discounted. In extreme doses, comfrey can cause diarrehea. This is its effects working too hard and if left unnoticed, the rabbit may dehydrate. When used with common sense, Comfrey is one of the best herbs we can give the bunnies!" Rebecca

Dandelion
"Dandelion is an excellent food given fresh in unlimited quantities. Fermenting or wilted plants can cause bloat. Dandelions are one of the most nutritious food plants for rabbits. Being rich in protien and poor in fiber. The digestibility percentage is high at an estimated 70%. Well known for it's curative powers. The bitter milky sap stimulates the working of all glands, including the milk glands of lactating does. The plant has both laxative and astringent qualities and regulates constipation and diarrhea.

Dandelion is good for many things in people and can be used for rabbits with these problems also: preventing osteoporosis (for the old bunny), bladder infections, lactating, liver problems, swelling, tonsilitis, warts, and pneumonia.

I feed alot of Dandelion every day, especially to my babies and they just love it, but you have to be careful because that is all that they will want and won't eat their pellets. So I limit it to a few small handfuls a day." Cheryl

Dandelion Made My Bunnies Glow With Health!
"I have been giving my rabbits Dandelion leaves every morning for the last two weeks. Two (2) leaves to my Dwarfs and four (4) leaves to my Mini Rex and 6 to 8 leaves to my Flemish. After two weeks they all seem to glow! They are eating well, increased drinking, their fur is looking great and recovering from moult in fine fashion - not lingering in moulting for weeks and missing the shows. I now have a little "dandie" garden, because I can't believe the extreme changes with my concentrated efforts of daily dandelion leaves." Deanna

Lavender
Common Lavender - or - Narrow leaved Lavender - or - Lavender Spike (Lavendula augustfolia)
"Lavender is not to be used lightly or frivously in breeding stock. It has a direct effect upon the uterus in helping to expel the contents, dead or alive, as well as being a diuretic. A late birthing doe will benefit from a little Lavender in order to naturally speed the process and it saves using drugs. The flowers are actually a mild tranquilizer, acting upon the heart in easing blood pressure rather than acting upon the brain as an anti-stimulant. In other words, good for a stressed out rabbit. Lavender Cotton (Abrotonum foemina, Chamaecyparissus) is a specific medicine for internal worms, and also assists the kidneys in cleansing and breaking up of stones. It also helps reduce swellings if applied outwardly, and is generally good taken internally for the liver, chest and uterus." Judy

Lavender is analgesic or pain-relieving, anticonvulsive, anitdepressant, anitmicrobial, antirheumatic, antiseptic, anitspasmodic, antitoxic, gas-relieving, bile-stimulating, deodorant, diuretic, insect-repelling, relaxing, circulation-stimulating, tonic and worm-repelling. Effective against burns & scalds, neutralizes the venom of insect bites & stings.

Lavender Oil - Inhaled or ingested, it treats respiratory conditions. Orally, it relieves nausea, prevents flatulence, alleviates cramping, improves digestion & clears urinary tract infections. Applied to the skin & coat, it helps repel insects & treats abscesses, fungal infections, ringworm, lice, scabies, sores, sunburn, dermatitis, earache, wounds & inflammation. Reduces anxiety & lifts the spirits.

"I haven't tryed straight Lavendar Oil by mouth or used it that way on my rabbits. I have used it in apple cider vinegar or water. I have made Lavendar tea from the flowers to give my rabbits by mouth and I've sprinkled some of the flowers on top of their food. One of my books says to add 3 to 5 drops of the oil on a sugar cube and take twice a day orally. So you may want to duilte it with carrier oil, water, or apple cider vinegar." Patty

Marjoram, Sweet (Majorana, Sampiucus, Amaracus)
A diuretic, opens obstructions of the liver and spleen, is good for colic pains and for disorders of the head (whatever they are) and settles the nerves. ~ Judy

Marjoram, Wild (Origanum Vulgare) For "colds"- although rabbits do not actually contract the headcold as we know it. Useful for coughs, pleurisy and obstruction of the lungs and uterus (take care here) and is also calming. This one, crushed and applied direct, will help control swellings and eruptions and bruises. Apparently the distilled oil of this will ease toothache. ~ Judy

Mint
Used for colds, eye inflammation, liver stimulant, and used to relax the muscles of the digestive tract and stimulate bile flow so are useful for indigestion, flatulence and colic and similar conditions. Reduces milk flow. Cautions are to avoid prolonged use, it can irritate the mucous membranes. Do not give any form of mint to young babies. To be harvested just before flowering. ~ Cheryl

Plantain (Plantago spp.)Character: Slightly sweet, salty, and bitter; cool, mainly drying

Leaves: Relaxing expectorant, tonify mucous membranes, reduce phlegm, antispasmodic, topically healing
"The leaves soothe urinary tract infections and irritations. Good for gastric inflammations. Juice pressed from fresh leaves is given orally for inflamed mucous membranes in cystitis, diarrhea and lung infections. Use the juice for inflamations, sores, and wounds. Plantain does not cause digestive problems. The plant regulates the function of the intestines and is generally good for the mucous membranes. Useful in the diet of weanlings and can be harvested year around." Cheryl

Rosemary

Ideal for exhaustion, weakness, and depression. The arial parts (stems, leaves) invigorate the circulation, stimulate the digestion, and are good for cold conditions. Harvest fresh year-round. ~ Cheryl

Sage
Reduces lactation when weaning, digestive stimulant and a uterine stimulant. This herb should be used with caution and should be avoided during pregnancy. Sage contains Thujone, which can trigger fits in epileptics. ~ Cheryl

Thyme
The arial parts (stems, leaves) are ideal for deep-seated chest infections marked by thick yellow phlegm. They are also a useful digestive remedy, warming for stomache, chills and associated diarrhea (irritable bowel). Expels worms. Cautions are to avoid therapeutic doses of thyme and thyme oil in any form because the herb is a uterine stimulant. Thyme oil can irritate the mucous membranes, so dilute well. Harvest before and during flowering in summer; discard the woody stems. ~ Cheryl

REFERENCE: http://www.healthypetcorner.com/rabbit.html

Back