Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Edibles

Warren Scout

Default safe foods

watercress (maori food or non-maori garden weed LOL)
    puha (maori food or non-maori garden weed LOL)
    willow branches and leaves (not the curly leaf type) (good for teeth)
    old pinecones (good for the teeth)

What on EARTH is Puha???
    Lynda

C.A.R.R.O.T. (Care And Rehoming Rabbits Of Tayside)
    www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Warren Scout

Default puha is a weed/ vegetable

I have added a photo of it in my photos for you to have a look at :P

Do you have it over there?

bronie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hadow/puha.jpg

Hmmmmm, not sure, looks a bit like milk thistle, does it have a white sap? or a yellow dandelion like flower?
    Lynda

www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Banned
    Aberdeen , Scotland. Mubby the wabbit and his Mummy Nicola x

Gave Mubster a Chunk of cucumber today .. he loved it!!

Warren Scout

Default bunny hugger,

I have added a photo of puha in flower in my album. Yes it has a white sap like dandelion which they also like to eat
    [/img]

Banned

I've given up on dandelions, as I have so many different varieties on my place and I can't tell them apart, yet some are supposed to be not as good as others. Now I only give my birds chickweed. With puha (sow thistle) I only give the leaf, not the stalk. I have been SO confused over foods, so thanks to the kind people who took the time to make the lists on this thread. The confusion started when I first got cavies and different sites had different lists of safe and unsafe foods. Finally I picked out the few vege/fruit that I could easily obtain fresh all year round and were on most safe lists, ie red & green sweet peppers, carrots, parsley, apple, orange, celery, alfalfa sprouts, little bits of broccolli. Then the other day I saw on a US rabbit site that parsley is bad, red clover is bad, lucerne is bad....and so on. Aaarrrgghhh!!!!! I'm just going to stick to the things on the lists here. By the way, my cavies have had parsley, lucerne chaff and hay that contains some red clover almost daily for 2 years and are both well. But it's worrying that I MAY have been feeding the wrong things. Currently Tweed the bunny is having the same as the cavies plus rabbit pellets, whereas the cavies have their own pellets. Re grass. The cavies have always had lots of fresh grass but I won't let Tweed graze or give her cut grass because of the worry of calicivirus. No myx here, but in 1997 some ****** stupid farmers illegally introduced the rabbit calicivirus in a major bio-security breach and a lot of rabbits died. My vet says there is little chance of the virus in my area now, but I don't trust the local farmers - especially after what happened in 1997. It's a horrible fatal disease that causes the blood to clot up. There is no myx in NZ and before 1979 rabbits were disease-free. There is a vaccine, but I don't have enough info about it and the possible risks yet, also my vet doesn't carry it. So no grass for Tweed, unless I grow her some in trays, which I'll do come spring. Bronie, have you vaccinated yours for RCD? Sorry about the v long post guys!!

Warren Scout

I haven`t taken Bugzee and Shadow in to have the jab yet. But I have read that there is 3 strains of the virus and the jab only covers one!

I feed my pellets and heaps of hay, lucerne chaff and maintenance mix. I also give them parsley raw rolled oats and wheat bix They eat grass when they are outside. The closed farm is about 4km away, so thats a bit of a worry.
    Different types of dandelions Thats news to me. Oks thinking on it, there is the flat to the ground and the standing up on mmmmm

What does chick weed look like as its good for bunnies too I have read.

bronie

Quote Originally Posted by ellepotter
    According to Virginia Richardson in Rabbit Lopeadia BINDWEED is safe to feed. I feed it to my Rabbit's two/three tme's a week and I have done for the past few months with no probs.

Louise
    According to Virginia Richardson MRCVS (Rabbit Nutrition book), Bindweed/Convolvulus is listed under the most poisonous plants on page 38.

Strange that she should put the same plant in different categories This is where the confusion comes in, so I'd play safe and not feed it to buns!
    Lynda

www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

There is that one that looks like a dandelion but without the leaves having serated edges.

Picking wild stuff is confusing!

Is turnip tops ok?