• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Edibles

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
To keep the list easy to understand please format you post as below and check before posting that the edible hasn't been mentioned before. Thank you. :D

If you are introducing new foods to your rabbits diet it should bedone gradually.

SAFE FOOD: Carrot

POISONOUS: Rhubarb

REFERENCE: http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html

Rabbit Nutrition by Virginia Richardson has a very comprehensive list

Green foods for Rabbits and Cavies by F R Bell is also very comprehensive

both available from the RWA and Amazon.

annie

I've already posted my pet poisonous thing and that is apple pips! Did it elsewhere though so thought I should add it here. :)

You lot are a nightmare! Could you maybe list the foods instead of giving the websites, as I'm having to search through all those sites and sift through all the foods and it's going to take me hours if not days to sort it out!

If we can get our own list together, I'll ask Tamsin (nicely) if there is any way we could have it like as a reference page, not loads of posts.

Brilliant Idea Lynda.....us Bunny "Mummys" have enough distractions already without surfing volumes and pages of information...someone needs to organise our lives for us, as we are too busy to organise ourselves!! :lol:

ok then here's mine:
Fruit, vegetables and herbs that are safe to feed a rabbit :
Apple (seedless)
Asparagus
Banana
Basil
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots and Carrot Tops
Cauliflower leaves and stalks
Celery
Chicory Greens
Cucumber
Dill
Endive
Fennel
Grapes
Green Pepper
Kale
Mint
Orange (peeled)
Oregano
Parsley - a good tonic
Red Leaf Lettuce
Red Cabbage
Romaine Lettuce
Savoy Cabbage
Spinach
Tomato
Turnip Greens
Watercress

Vegetables and herbs that should not be fed are:
Apple seeds
Potato and Potato Tops
Rhubarb and Rhubarb Leaves
Tomato Leaves

Some plants and flowers which can be fed to rabbits:
Clover
Dandelion leaves
Groundsel
Marigold
Nasturium

Plants and flowers that are poisonous to rabbits include:
Autumn Crocus
Begonia
Black Nightshade
Busy Lizzie
Buttercups
Carnation
Chrysanthemum
Clematis
Cowslip
Geranium
Hemlock
Laburnum
Laurel
Poison Ivy
Poppy
Yucca

Thats more like it Chris, thanks so much, I will print your list off and pin it on the notice board !.
Simba is soooo cute and sooooo cuddly.....what a pretty and very fluffy bunny :D

Lizzie said:
I've already posted my pet poisonous thing and that is apple pips! Did it elsewhere though so thought I should add it here. :)
Thanks Lizzie, I feel that this is one of the ones a lot of people are NOT aware of. Many people just chuck in a quarter of an apple, or a half of an apple or even sometimes a whole one :eek: (Tch! Tamsin can we have a better 'shocked' smiley, please :D ), and just leave the buns to it. Too much apple can burn the skin around the mouths of buns and cavvies as they are very acidic. Also not that great for children's teeth in large quantities either as it erodes the enamel (used to work in a dental surgery :oops: )

Hi

Can I ask a couple of quick questions. Are chinese leaf and pak choi OK as mine are quite fond of both of these. As far as fruit goes I give mine one third of a piece of fruit usually either apple, pear, peach or nectarine and a third of carrot each per day. Is this too much sweet stuff for them? I tried them on kiwi fruit this morning but only Harvey ate his

sunshine said:
one third of a piece of fruit usually either apple, pear, peach or nectarine and a third of carrot each per day. Is this too much sweet stuff for them? I tried them on kiwi fruit this morning but only Harvey ate his
Depends on how big the fruit/carrot is I suppose. I don't give fruit every day as it is full of sugar, I only give is as an occasional treat, maybe once a week. As for carrot, I give about an inch each twice a day (also full of sugar but good for wearing down incisors!) I find a wee bit of melon particularly popular on a hot day specially if it's been kept in the fridge (and I even give some to the buns :lol:)

Rob wants to ask his 'auntie Lynda' why he can eat strawberries and raspberries but not his favourite 'sugar snap peas' (hee hee) :cry:

Because only BAD rabbits eat sugar snap peas and only good rabbits get to eat scrummy strawberries and raspberries, now get to your bed! :lol:

Parental Guidance required for next bit Lynn:
"Roman farmers left green peas on the vine to poison foraging rabbits"

Safe Food for Rabbits
This list is to help discern safe foods for rabbits. It is not a guide to the nutitional value of these foods.
Why not print it out so the whole family knows what give your rabbit.

Safe foods:

Agrimony
Alfalfa
Apple
Avens
Balm
Banana
Barley
Basil
Beetroot
Blackberry
Borage
Broccoli
Buckwheat
Burnet
Camomile
Caraway
Carrot
Celery
Celeriac
Chervil
Chicory
Chickweed
Chinese leaf
Cleavers
Clover, WHITE
Coltsfoot
Comfrey WILTED SLIGHTLY
Coriander
Corn marigold
Corn spurrey
Cow parsnip
Crosswort
Cucumber
Dandelion
Dead-Nettles
Dill
Dock BEFORE FLOWERING
Endive
Fat hen
Fennel
Goosefoot
Goosegrass
Goutweed BEFORE FLOWERING
Ground elder BEFORE FLOWERING
Hawkbit
Hawkweed
Heather
Hedge parsley
Horseradish
Jerusalem artichoke
Knapweed
Knotgrass
Kohlrabi
Lavender
Lovage
Mallow
Marjoram
Mayweed
Maywort
Meadowsweet
Melon
Milk thistle
Mugwort
Nipplewort
Oats
Orache
Oxeye daisy
Parsley
Parsnip
Pear
Peppermint
Pigweed
Plantain
Pumpkin
Radish GREENS
Raspberry
Sage
Savory
Sanfoin
Shepherd's purse
Silverweed
Sow thistle
Soya
Strawberry
Swiss Chard
Tare
Tomatoes
Trefoil
Vetch
Vine leaves
Watercress
Watermelon
Wheat
Yarrow

Safe in moderation:

Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Corn
Groundsel
Kale
Lettuce
Molasses
Mustard greens
Spinach
Tallow
Turnip

NOT SAFE:

Arum
Bigwort
Bindweed
Bluebell
Bryony
Buttercup
Celandine
Clover RED
Colchicum
Corncockle
Cowslip
Cuckoo pint
Dog's Mercury
Elder after flowering
Euphorbia
Evergreens
Fool's parsley
Foxglove
Ground ivy
Hemlock
Henbane
Kingcup
Meadow Saffron
Milkweed
Nightshade
Ragwort
Scarlet Pimpernel
Spurge
Toadflax
Tomato LEAVES
Traveller's joy
Beans
Peach leaves
Plum leaves
Potato SPROUTS
Rhubarb
Wood sorrel

Safe tree and shrub leaves:

Should always be fresh young leaves:

Acacia
Apple
Beech
Birch
Blackberry
Cherry
Hazel
Horse Chestnut
Lime
Mountain Ash
Mulberry
Pear
Poplar (not black)
Raspberry
Strawberry

Safe twigs:

Apple
Birch
Blackberry
Fir
Hazel
Hawthorn
Maple
Pear
Raspberry
Spruce
Willow

Unsafe twigs:
Acacia
Apricot
Azalea
Beech
Box
Cherry
Clematis
Elder
Holly
Ivy
Laburnum
Mistletoe
Nux vomica
Oak
Oleander
Peach
Periwinkle
Plum
Privet
Rhododendron
Rosewood
Snowberry
Spindleberry
Thorn apple
Waxplant
Wisteria
Yew
All evergreens not mentioned in safe twig list

Safe flowers:

Aster
Carnation
Daisy
Geranium
Geum
Helenium
Hollyhock
Honesty
Marguerite
Marigold
Michaelmas daisy
Nasturtium
Rose
Stock
Sunflower
Wallflower

Unsafe flowers:

Acacia
Aconite
Antirrhinum
Anemone
Brugmansia
Columbine
Crocus
Daffodil
Dahlia
Delphinium
Feverfew
Gypsophila
Hellebore
Hyacinth
Iris
Larkspur
Lily of the Valley
Lobelia
Love-in-a-mist
Lupin
Narcissus
Poppy
Primrose
Snowdrop
Tulip
Any bulbs

REFERENCE: http://earthhome.tripod.com/rabsafe.html

(Once we have a comprehensive list, duplicates will be sifted out)

He's off to bed with his Timothy Hay (dreaming of the days when his silly mum thought it was OK to feed him sugar snaps).

Seriously though, I'll find this list very useful, as I do find you read lots of conflicting information about what's 'good' and 'bad' bunny veg / fruit.

Lynn, there are conflicting view of what's safe and unsafe food for rabbits. That's why it's always better to question. Peas were on this list but I took them off as I'm still not happy about rabbits eating them (however, that is only my opinion). If there is ever any doubt, err on the safe side and don't give it. There's loads of yummy alternatives.

Oh and you're not a silly mum, you're a wonderful and caring mum, and no matter how much he scowls at you, he still loves you! :lol:

Back