• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Persephone. ud post 8: bad teeth and weight loss

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Something is just... off with my Seffy Sef. She's usually hugely people friendly (especially me!) and never likes to miss out on attention. This morning, she had her breakfast as normal. Later, she was in the bedroom actively avoided OH and me. I managed to catch her eventually and looked her over. Nothing seemed out of place, but she felt a bit hot all over, like a radiator. I offered her some food, but she was fussier than usual, eschewing the forage but accepting fibafirst (and a bit of apple). She's not paying as much attention to her refilled hay rack as usual either.

After Takumi's death on Monday, I'm really nervy about my rabbits. I don't want to lose another. But Takumi hadn't had his rhd2 vaccine yet as it's on order. Seffy has. I've booked her a vet appointment for this evening. Something isn't right, but she's kind of not demonstrating any obvious signs of what's wrong. :(

I'm really worried.

Last edited:
Something is just... off with my Seffy Sef. She's usually hugely people friendly (especially me!) and never likes to miss out on attention. This morning, she had her breakfast as normal. Later, she was in the bedroom actively avoided OH and me. I managed to catch her eventually and looked her over. Nothing seemed out of place, but she felt a bit hot all over, like a radiator. I offered her some food, but she was fussier than usual, eschewing the forage but accepting fibafirst (and a bit of apple). She's not paying as much attention to her refilled hay rack as usual either.

After Takumi's death on Monday, I'm really nervy about my rabbits. I don't want to lose another. But Takumi hadn't had his rhd2 vaccine yet as it's on order. Seffy has. I've booked her a vet appointment for this evening. Something isn't right, but she's kind of not demonstrating any obvious signs of what's wrong. :(

I'm really worried.

Oh no, I'm so sorry!

They really do put us about, these bunnies ...

I hope your vet can find a reason for the change in her behaviour. It's hard in the 'early stages' of something going on, to identify it sometimes. But I hope there's nothing serious happening.

Sending hugs and vibes xx

Sending loads of vibes for the lovely Persephone. I hope she gets on OK at the vets this evening. It's always unnerving when you know something's wrong, but can't really establish what.

Good luck at the vets: it's not always what you can find, it's what you can feel, isn't it. Hope she's OK.

Well I just looked outside and she's in her hay rack now. That's more normal Persephone... she's not getting out of the vets though!

So, Persephone has terrible teeth. Very yellow (I knew that) which is poor enamel due to poor diet (prior to me, if she is a youngster) OR age (and she isn't a youngster.) She has bad spikes and spurs all over the place.

But she can't have a dental yet because she's also lost weight. The vet doesn't believe it is safe for her go go under anaesthetic at her current weight. :( Which means, if her weight loss is due to her teeth I'm at a point of a double-edged sword.

She hadn't shown any sign of appetite loss (or fussiness) prior to midday today. She's always eaten like a horse. What IS going on with her? Aside from bad teeth... :(

(Husbun Morpheus got a clean bill of health and had his nobivac done. Now fully vaccinated against myxi, rhd1, and rhd2.)

ETA. She's down from 1.38 to 1.22kg. Not as extreme as Elphie's but I still feel bad. :(

Last edited:
Poor Persephone :( What has the vet suggested that you do? Try to feed her up?

Yep. I forgot to say, I left with emeprid. I already have some Recovery which she can have from tomorrow. I have alfalfa for Elphie, so she can have some (without Morph) from tomorrow. She just had an extra large feed of forage, fibafirst, readigrass, and pellets. She already had a full rack of hay topped up just before the vets.

Hoping you can get some weight on Persephone so she can have a dental, other than that I think you are doing all you can for her.

Im sure the alfalfa will do the trick if she eats it. Its always the case when you want them to put weight on you cant get it on, but when you want them to lose it it doesnt come off or more goes on. You are doing all you can with what you know. xx vibes sent

Thanks. I hope we can turn her around. The past 2 years have been fraught with loss for me (Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Little Bit. Also Bee (cat)) and my poor wee heart needs a break. :( I have 3 rabbits who are all underweight and Seffy has nightmare teeth as well... I'm dreading this winter. But I'm also trying... sometimes I feel like asking what I'm doing wrong. Why do people neglect rabbits but have them last forever when mine continually slip through my fingers?

Anyway, I digress. I've just spent an hour or so revamping Seffy and Morph's run. I needed a private area for her to dine in peace. I've sorted something... it's not ideal but it does the job. She's tolerating emeprid, but it isn't her favourite thing. She is eating but just turned her nose up at readigrass. Sigh... I'll give my three skinny minnies some recovery tonight. And next week, I'm going to invest in some baby scales since kitchen scales are a nightmare to track weights on.

Ughh... money's tight, Christmas is round the corner and I have so much going on. Blargh.

I'm really sure it's nothing that you're doing or not doing that is causing this :) I guess sometimes some rabbits, just like some humans, have poor genes to start with. We can all only do our best as w&s said.

It might be worth looking at the calorie content of Junior pellets, as I think they are higher than normal ones and trying Seffy on those.

Mine actually aren't that fussed with Readigrass :? I thought I'd treat them recently with the new Oat Readigrass. Well they've eaten it, but haven't gone mad for it like I expected.

I use a shoe box on top of my kitchen scales and that works very well for monitoring their weight. I don't know what type of scales you have. I've got the square, flat ones.

Lots of vibes sent for the lovely Seffy.

Best wishes TLC: teeth are a nightmare. Lopsy's teeth are alright for a lop but Aboleth's are awful. She's the same ravenous little girl as Seffy, but I know as soon as something's up, that'll be my first suspect. She's fatter than Lopsy too (though weighs the same) so hopefully I can keep a feel of her weight well enough...

I know some people have used oats for weight gain: no idea of that'll suit any of yours?

The very best of luck for all of you :)

Best wishes TLC: teeth are a nightmare. Lopsy's teeth are alright for a lop but Aboleth's are awful. She's the same ravenous little girl as Seffy, but I know as soon as something's up, that'll be my first suspect. She's fatter than Lopsy too (though weighs the same) so hopefully I can keep a feel of her weight well enough...

I know some people have used oats for weight gain: no idea of that'll suit any of yours?

The very best of luck for all of you :)

Hah! Elphie's are good "for a lop" too. She's had 1 spur since she was 2 and it has never bothered her. In fact I've been blighted by rabbits with bad teeth that don't bother them - Athena, Apollo, Selene, and Morpheus all have 1 small spur too. (Clearly crossbreeds are the Way To Go as aside from Helios (rex standard), River and Morning are the only ones not blighted by awful teeth.) Persephone's are by far the worst in any rabbit I've had. I've never had a bun that needs a dental before. :( Her mouth is a mess, but the weight gain is the priority.

I have used oats in the past for Elphie. It's not my favourite way to help rabbits gain weight, but if needs must... I'll have to get some more though. The last bag went mouldy.

Seffy Sef is being a little madam today. She point blank refused her emeprid this morning and I don't have the energy to 'argue' with her. Spent the morning throwing up. :(

ETA: Omi, thanks for the tip re: scales. I think I have a box more suited than the bowl. I'll give it a go soon as I'm well enough. Also, thank you for the assurance. I know I do try my best, but sometimes it's inevitable to get dispirited, especially after this week I've had.

Last edited:
I have used oats in the past for Elphie. It's not my favourite way to help rabbits gain weight, but if needs must... I'll have to get some more though. The last bag went mouldy.
I've had oats for years: I've got some old 1970s tupperwares and they were in them for about 10yrs ;P Were in the kitchen though, not the garage! Used 'em all up in cookies (for humans). No weevils either, very surprising!

I read you had a bad day :( Hope those are few and far between!

I hope you and seffy are feeling as good as you can today. Im feeding Blitzen oats at the minute to give him his meds. I put some oats on a bisto lid, squirt the meds on and mix it into the oats. I then leave it for 5-10 mins to dry out so its not sticky and he eats it as though its the best food in the world. Maybe worth a try if she likes oats already. She getting her meds and building up at the same time. I feel your worry, i think we go through as much as the bun sometimes. You are doing amazingly well especially with all you have been through recently. xx vibes sent xx

I feel awful still today, and this morning, I went downstairs and outside to find Benny, one of my mum's piggies, had gone. :(

Persephone is still being very anti-people, which is unlike her but I think a side-effect of hating her meds.

Awwwww no what a shame. You are really going through it at the moment. i hope you can find some time to do something you love to refresh yourself. I know, easier said than done most of the time. Very sorry about Benny. xx

Back