• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Persephone. ud post 8: bad teeth and weight loss

Aaaw - I have had dental buns in the past and buns who I struggled to keep weight on. I used oats, although it was difficult to stop the other buns eating them too.

With meds I prefer injections as I know that has definitely got into the bun, rather than being spat out, but it's not possible to give all meds like that.

With syringe feeding meds I find mixing it with something the bun likes, such as Ribena, helps a lot. I know it's not an ideal 'food' for a bun, but I have been desperate in the past and tried it after a vet suggested it and found it worked. The other thing that was successful in hiding the taste of the meds or encouraging the bun to eat something to increase weight was to mix it with pineapple juice.

I also gave my Bridge Bun, Apple, a piece of wholemeal bread regularly - not a whole slice, just a small amount - and she would always eat that.

Good luck and lots and lots of vibes for Persephone xxx

I'm sorry you're still going through it all :( My rabbit, who's being medicated daily at the moment, is certainly very anti-people at the moment. All I can say about him at the moment is I think he likes me a bit better than the vet :lol: It must actually be quite terrible for most of them, as they will probably be frightened and also a bit affronted. I take heart in remembering that it has in the past soon gone back to normal when the interference stops.

I hope that you will soon feel better and I'm very sorry about Benny. Sending vibes also for Seffy.

Well I just managed to weigh her and she's back up to 1.38kg - which was her weight in July during her spay. :) I'll keep monitoring, of course, but have a word with the vet on Thursday. Elphie's there to get her nobivac jab done. Thanks for all the advice re: medicating and weight gain. With Elphie and Selene too, I have my hands full!

Benny was really only a baby piggie still. Adopted from honeybunnies in July the same day we got Morpheus. His brother is alone now - we'll have to monitor Björn and see about adopting him a sow/some sows later on if he remains well.

As for me, it's rather par the course. I'm due more treatment in a month.

I feel awful still today, and this morning, I went downstairs and outside to find Benny, one of my mum's piggies, had gone. :(

Persephone is still being very anti-people, which is unlike her but I think a side-effect of hating her meds.

So sorry to hear about Benny :(

I think once you stop medicating Persephone, she will (given a little bit of time) forget how much she doesn't like people. We have to do these things, ,but it's tough on the little ones who are grasped and force fed etc ... Or whatever we have to do. I feel for them.

But I tell them it's for their own health and necessary, or I wouldn't be doing it .. Hopefully the oats trick might help as W&S says :)

Back