• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy not right again :( U/D Gained half a kg!!!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Just had Daisy at the vets for the third time in 3 days, due to gut slowdown and for antibiotic injections for possible UTI, after having a huge amount of sludge expressed the other week. I can't give her oral baytril as I am by myself, and she hates the stuff. She spends the day worrying that I'm going to grab her every time she sees me.
When we get to the vets, even if we are early, we have to wait at least 30 minutes, as they're always running late. This increases stress for both of us :(.
Yesterday and today we saw a new vet, who I already can't stand. He has no people (or rabbit) skills whatsoever, and is all doom and gloom. Yesterday he was going on about possible tooth problems, when I know her teeth are fine. She wouldn't have spent the last few weeks furiously munching hay if that was the case. Today he was saying that she's lost a bit of weight every day for the last few days, so maybe there's something underlying and she might need more tests. I said how about waiting to see if the antibiotics make her better first?! She's eating less than half her usual amount, it's no wonder she's losing weight!! Am I wrong here?? I don't think she's up to a GA, I don't want to put her through that. She's 6.5, very arthritic, prone to sore hocks already. She is difficult for me to medicate and hates being picked up. She just loves being snuggled on the floor, and comes to me for snuggles. I love her so much and hate stressing her out like this, I just want her to get better. Just spent the last half hr in tears, as I'm so worried about her. It makes it worse that my favourite vet is on Mat leave, my second fave is in London on a course, and the third I'll see tomorrow, but I feel really alone with this. Struggling tonight :(

Last edited:
Didn't want to just read and run :( I don't have any advice .
It's horrible with the daily trips to the vets , I had it with my baby Aubrey.

Stay strong for her she seems a fighter xx

Sending hugs.

Yesterday he was going on about possible tooth problems, when I know her teeth are fine.
It's like a virus in vets. They think 'Rabbit! Teeth!' and unscrupulous ones think 'Regular money!'

Keep fighting for her. Do you know of a vet who you might be able to have more faith in?

Again, more hugs. Its hard to do these things alone. xx

I know exactly how you feel about them getting stressed about being picked up. I am now on my third week of giving Penicillin injections every other day and eye drops three times a day. I don't live alone, but I do medicate him by myself. My rabbit also hates being picked up, but he hates going in the car and being seen by the vet even more. He also knows that everytime he sees me it's likely that he's going to be the only one out of the three that gets picked up. I also know though that after a couple of weeks of being left alone he will not feel like this. I also don't think that Daisy will be stressed about it when you are not around her, i.e. at work.

I also usually have to wait for quite a while in the waiting room, sometimes also with dogs also waiting, before being seen.

This is why I said that if I were you I would do the injections myself. I know it's stressful and even more so when you've had failures, but it really does save a lot of stress at the vets. This last time I spent some time with the vet nurse explaining to me her technique and watching while I did one. I do the injections with the rabbit on the floor away from his normal accommodation (which makes him less likely to feel confident to move). I kneel on the floor and put him facing away from me between my knees.

I think also you have been unlucky with your two recent vet visits and haven't been impressed with the new vet. If that was me I would just be firm. You know your rabbit best and know whether the advice you're receiving is reasonable.

Sending hugs. I hope it goes better tomorrow.

I can't say anything helpful so hope my hugs and warm wishes will be welcomed x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Omi, I think I'm going to do tomorrow's visit, then ask for injections to give myself. I can get extra ones in case I mess up, I guess...

You could always put oral meds in food, porridge or baby food usually goes down well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Omi, I think I'm going to do tomorrow's visit, then ask for injections to give myself. I can get extra ones in case I mess up, I guess...

I'm really sorry this is getting you down so much :(

I do agree with giving the antibiotics a chance to work and not jumping to the conclusion of teeth! You also know Daisy and her habits better than the vet and are much more clued up as to whether it's her teeth or not.

When does your vet come back from London?

The vet nurse (I think I said on your other thread) can show you how to do injections, and you can practise at the surgery with sterile saline in the needle/syringe until you are happy. It really doesn't hurt the rabbit to go under the skin - it's much worse for us!

Is the third vet the one you can't stand, or is that another one :)

Thinking of you tomorrow - what time is your appointment? x hugs x You wouldn't feel like this if you didn't care so much :D

Daisy was worse this morning, she didn't eat overnight :( :( :( she went outside and was munching bits in the garden, it's like she's craving fibre but not gay or grass. She's been chomping away on a grassy ball thing the last few days.
Had to take her in this morning as I was so worried; have left her at vets for the day for fluids and gut meds :( vet took urine sample but it's very cloudy so they might not get a proper result. Worried sick :(

I'm sorry to see this update :( It must be such a worry for you, especially as you need to go to work. I know how medicating a poorly rabbit can get you down so much and in your position you must feel so drained. There's the worry about their health, but also the emotional issue of stressing them as well.

I really hope they can establish what the problem is while she's at the vets today. I hate to say it, but if she's not eating grass or hay, could it now be her teeth? Has she had teeth problems in the past?

Daisy was worse this morning, she didn't eat overnight :( :( :( she went outside and was munching bits in the garden, it's like she's craving fibre but not gay or grass. She's been chomping away on a grassy ball thing the last few days.
Had to take her in this morning as I was so worried; have left her at vets for the day for fluids and gut meds :( vet took urine sample but it's very cloudy so they might not get a proper result. Worried sick :(

Sorry to hear this :(

I hope the fluids and gut meds do the trick and get her eating again. A cloudy urine sample doesn't mean they won't get a proper result.

If there's a possibility of UTI or (hopefully not) bladder sludge, then that would cause her to not want to eat. Poor little one.

Can the vet give you some Metacam to give to her? (Apologies if you've mentioned this already)

Sorry to hear this :(

I hope the fluids and gut meds do the trick and get her eating again. A cloudy urine sample doesn't mean they won't get a proper result.

If there's a possibility of UTI or (hopefully not) bladder sludge, then that would cause her to not want to eat. Poor little one.

Can the vet give you some Metacam to give to her? (Apologies if you've mentioned this already)

Thanks, Daisy is on a high daily dose of metacam anyway for her arthritis; she normally has it in a bit of mashed banana, but while she's off her food they are injecting.

I picked Daisy up at 6.45; she was a lot brighter, after having 100ml IV fluids and being syringe fed every hour by a nurse, which she didn't like at all! She was still furiously munching on her grassy ball in the carrier on the way home, she's obsessed with it at the moment...
When we got home I gave her some bramble leaves that I collected on the way home from work, and she munched a couple... Then she ate a load of grass, some dandelions, and some Spring greens :D the relief I felt was immense!!!! I knew it wasn't her teeth...! I honestly thought she was on her way out this morning, she went to sit outside on the patio as though she'd just had enough, and that was where she wanted to be... I have been a complete wreck today, but feel so much better now. I just hope it continues overnight...

That's good news :D Did they manage to test the urine sample? I presume she's still on Baytril? My rabbits have always responded well to extra fluids.

Sending her lots more vibes. I hope she continues to improve overnight.

That's good news :D Did they manage to test the urine sample? I presume she's still on Baytril? My rabbits have always responded well to extra fluids.

Sending her lots more vibes. I hope she continues to improve overnight.

Thank you, the results won't come back until next week.. We are getting a culture as well as full urine analysis. Yes, still on baytril, had gut meds today too. I agree, the fluids always help massively. If she continues to eat well overnight, I can just pick up some antibiotic injections in the morning to do myself, if she stops eating again I'll have to take her for more gut meds. So fingers crossed...

Thank you, the results won't come back until next week.. We are getting a culture as well as full urine analysis. Yes, still on baytril, had gut meds today too. I agree, the fluids always help massively. If she continues to eat well overnight, I can just pick up some antibiotic injections in the morning to do myself, if she stops eating again I'll have to take her for more gut meds. So fingers crossed...

I agree with the full urinalysis - much better and more thorough :)

Glad you'll be doing the antibiotic injections - fingers crossed she keeps eating :D

I agree with the full urinalysis - much better and more thorough :)

Glad you'll be doing the antibiotic injections - fingers crossed she keeps eating :D

Thank you :) she is getting lots of snuggles tonight and keeps nibbling bits of various things :) love my big bunny so much :love:

Back