• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice...

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hey all, I took lady Blue to the vets for more baytril and general check up today..
We saw a different temp vet as ours had gone on holiday (didn't know)
He was really harsh and knocked poor blue over several times (she can't get up when she falls) and was really pulling her around, ahe looked so stressed.
Out usual guy is.so much nicer and gentler with her!
He didn't know her sex, her age or anything yet he had her notes in front of him.

He said that the lump on her jaw that my normal vet said was stable and OK. Was causing all this, he said it's leaking puss into her lungs and causing a pneumonia like illness.
He has given my the usual dosage of Baytril and some loxicom 1ml twice daily.
It says it's for dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea..
What do you guys Think? I really don't trust this guy :/

sorry to hear how rough the vet was :(

loxicom is metacam and very safe and usually well tolerated by rabbits. the dose also sounds fine to me. what does she weigh?

you could ask when your usual vet is back and maybe discuss with them to put your mind at ease x

I can't comment on his statement that the lump is leaking pus into her lungs, but any vet that says Loxicom is going to cause diarrhoea and vomiting in a rabbit is not very knowledgeable. Rabbits cannot vomit. Also I have never heard that Loxicom could cause diarrhoea.

What tests did your normal vet do on the lump to be certain that it was stable?

Did you get to the bottom of how much weight she has in fact lost?

Hey all, I took lady Blue to the vets for more baytril and general check up today..
We saw a different temp vet as ours had gone on holiday (didn't know)
He was really harsh and knocked poor blue over several times (she can't get up when she falls) and was really pulling her around, ahe looked so stressed.
Out usual guy is.so much nicer and gentler with her!
He didn't know her sex, her age or anything yet he had her notes in front of him.

He said that the lump on her jaw that my normal vet said was stable and OK. Was causing all this, he said it's leaking puss into her lungs and causing a pneumonia like illness.
He has given my the usual dosage of Baytril and some loxicom 1ml twice daily.
It says it's for dogs and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea..
What do you guys Think? I really don't trust this guy :/

I am sorry that you were not happy with the Vet you saw today.

Metacam/Loxicom comes in two strengths, 'Dog' - 1.5ml/ml and 'Cat'- 0.5mg/ml. There is no Rabbit specific Metacam/Loxicom so Vets will dispense either the 'Cat' or 'Dog' one and prescribing the dose appropriate for a Rabbit. So the Dog Metacam/Loxicom is fine :) Rabbits cannot vomit and they are unlikely to have any significant GI tract side effects when given at an appropriate dose.

It is possible that the lump on LB's jaw (which appears to be a mandibular abscess) is related to her Respiratory tract problems. But without actual diagnostics it is impossible to say for certain. And obviously LB may now be too poorly to undergo any diagnostics requiring sedation. So treating the symptoms (with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory analgesia) is what the Vet appears to think is the appropriate course of action and one I agree with. Whilst the Vet's manner may not have been great, your account of his clinical assessment of LB sounds very reasonable to me. The treatment given may not cure LB, but it may contain the infection for a while. There are other injectable antibiotics that may be better than Baytril. Perhaps you could speak with the Vet you prefer about LB having a more 'heavy duty' injectable antibiotic ?

Last edited:
I can't comment on his statement that the lump is leaking pus into her lungs, but any vet that says Loxicom is going to cause diarrhoea and vomiting in a rabbit is not very knowledgeable. Rabbits cannot vomit. Also I have never heard that Loxicom could cause diarrhoea.

It was the lady at the desk that gave me the bottles that said watch her for diarrhoea and vomiting, I actually looked at the scales this time and it said 5.2, still not sure what though as he removed her from it before I had a chance to see and wasn't interested in answering my questions :/

My other vet just felt around the lump and said it's soft tissue not bone. He said it's more likely just an abcess not a cyst

I dont think the Vet did say that. Loxicom can cause diarrhoea in cats and dogs xx

I am sorry that you were not happy with the Vet you saw today.

Metacam/Loxicom comes in two strengths, 'Dog' - 1.5ml/ml and 'Cat'- 0.5mg/ml. There is no Rabbit specific Metacam/Loxicom so Vets will dispense either the 'Cat' or 'Dog' one and prescribing the dose appropriate for a Rabbit. So the Dog Metacam/Loxicom is fine :) Rabbits cannot vomit and they are unlikely to have any significant GI tract side effects when given at an appropriate dose.

It is impossible that the lump on LB's jaw (which appears to be a mandibular abscess) is related to her Respiratory tract problems. But without actual diagnostics it is impossible to say for certain. And obviously LB may now be too poorly to undergo any diagnostics requiring sedation. So treating the symptoms (with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory analgesia) is what the Vet appears to think is the appropriate course of action and one I agree with. Whilst the Vet's manner may not have been great, your account of his clinical assessment of LB sounds very reasonable to me. The treatment given may not cure LB, but it make contain the infection for a while. There are other injectable antibiotics that may be better than Baytril. Perhaps you could speak with the Vet you prefer about LB having a more 'heavy duty' injectable antibiotic ?

He just scared me by saying it's like pneumonia as I know that can kill a bunny, and then he rattled on about he's only ever seen 5 year old bunnies and at that age they're too old and he puts them down... I was like what?!? My normal vet has told me he has seen loads of bunnies past 8 and even some at the age of 12! And still going.. This guy worries me.. Sounds like he doesnt like bunnies or understand them :/

He just scared me by saying it's like pneumonia as I know that can kill a bunny, and then he rattled on about he's only ever seen 5 year old bunnies and at that age they're too old and he outs them down... I was like what?!? My normal vet has told me he has seen loads of bunnies past 8 and even some at the age of 12! And still going.. This guy worries me.. Sounds like he doesnt like bunnies or understand them :/

I'd try to get to speak with your usual Vet and hopefully he will be able to reassure you :)

He just scared me by saying it's like pneumonia as I know that can kill a bunny, and then he rattled on about he's only ever seen 5 year old bunnies and at that age they're too old and he puts them down... I was like what?!? My normal vet has told me he has seen loads of bunnies past 8 and even some at the age of 12! And still going.. This guy worries me.. Sounds like he doesnt like bunnies or understand them :/

You know what Sharpie? From the very first and you said he knocked Blue over I would've walked out. I don't put up with that kind of stuff and he's there to minister health and kindness and not rudeness.

Loxicom does *not* cause vomiting and diarrhoea in rabbits - they cannot vomit anyway :D

He didn't seem to want to answer your questions, or even make sure you knew her weight.

I should make a point of seeing your normal vet next time. Or better still, calling your normal vet and explain the stuff you were unhappy with and ask him his opinion. I don't see why you should pay another consult fee if you were not happy with the vet you saw.

Jeez I would be out the door :shock:

I have a very kind vet who treats rabbits of 13/14 years old with the utmost gentleness and respect :)

Jeez I would be out the door :shock:

I have a very kind vet who treats rabbits of 13/14 years old with the utmost gentleness and respect :)

Yeh I was not happy!! He was throwing her about, tugging at her, and he was putting real ptessure on her sides when listening to her breathing, at one point I though he was going to snap her in two! I was horrified!!
I had my dad with.me and even he said he's extremely rough considering her age, he stressed her out so much she was breathing so fast and loud bless her :(
He rolled her about on her back to check her butt but he did it with no care, just tossed her about :'( as soon as he gave her the injection I put her back in her carry pod to stop him touching her :( I got her home and say with her, told her I was so sorry I took her to see him as he wasn't our normal one and thag if I'd known he was like that I'd not have gone, I felt.so bad

Your normal vet is correct that some individuals can live a long time as any vet who sees rabbits regularly will attest.
My advice is to not let this vet desuade you from treating your bunny medically.
Sending you and your bun positive vibes.

Yeh I was not happy!! He was throwing her about, tugging at her, and he was putting real ptessure on her sides when listening to her breathing, at one point I though he was going to snap her in two! I was horrified!!
I had my dad with.me and even he said he's extremely rough considering her age, he stressed her out so much she was breathing so fast and loud bless her :(
He rolled her about on her back to check her butt but he did it with no care, just tossed her about :'( as soon as he gave her the injection I put her back in her carry pod to stop him touching her :( I got her home and say with her, told her I was so sorry I took her to see him as he wasn't our normal one and thag if I'd known he was like that I'd not have gone, I felt.so bad

You took her thinking he was a professional and now you know for the future. You are not responsible for his actions and you got her back in her carrier ASAP. At least she got the injection she needed.

Yeh when I ring now I ask specifically for our usual guy and if he's not there then I know David is a trusted one there so I will see him and not some temp guy!
Blue is such a laid back bun now, if you go about it nicely, if you toss her about and constantly annoy her by prodding and poking then Yeh she bites and she gets stroppy! But I easily clean her bum without her being stressed.or upset. It makes you trust random vets less when they just toss them about without a thought as to her medical conditions! What if she had a small fracture somewhere and I'd taken her in to be fixed, he would've made it 100 times worse!
Lady Blue is OK, she's having her medication like a good girl :)
Not much of a change yet.. But she's still got until Thursday on the new one (sticker said only use.for a week)

Yeh when I ring now I ask specifically for our usual guy and if he's not there then I know David is a trusted one there so I will see him and not some temp guy!
Blue is such a laid back bun now, if you go about it nicely, if you toss her about and constantly annoy her by prodding and poking then Yeh she bites and she gets stroppy! But I easily clean her bum without her being stressed.or upset. It makes you trust random vets less when they just toss them about without a thought as to her medical conditions! What if she had a small fracture somewhere and I'd taken her in to be fixed, he would've made it 100 times worse!
Lady Blue is OK, she's having her medication like a good girl :)
Not much of a change yet.. But she's still got until Thursday on the new one (sticker said only use.for a week)

Good to hear :D Well done that lady .. and the one looking after her :D

It is good that she is taking her meds. It can be such a battle with some bunnies. Sending more positive vibes for you bunny.

Back